Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Cromwell

Arcane
Yes I did exactly that quest and I even managed to kill the first filth mob by pulling him away from the filth on the floor. The next mobs were packs, so I tried the same 3 times, did not work. After I screamed I realized I can port through helll so I did that. But then I got killed later by a boulder. I finished the quest now realizing it was my own mistake.

As for builds, as far as I could see hots dont cut it any longer so I checked the elite decks and noticed I already used the chaos one (minus salt in the wounds). I will try your deck when I have more hit rating I am sitting at around 180 and I dont think thats enough for burst skills.

I think most of my frustration will be gone after I have gotten used to the aegis stuff which I find fairly annoying and after gathering a few extra aegis items.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yes I did exactly that quest and I even managed to kill the first filth mob by pulling him away from the filth on the floor. The next mobs were packs, so I tried the same 3 times, did not work. After I screamed I realized I can port through helll so I did that. But then I got killed later by a boulder. I finished the quest now realizing it was my own mistake.
That's where most problems come from.

As for builds, as far as I could see hots dont cut it any longer so I checked the elite decks and noticed I already used the chaos one (minus salt in the wounds). I will try your deck when I have more hit rating I am sitting at around 180 and I dont think thats enough for burst skills.

I think most of my frustration will be gone after I have gotten used to the aegis stuff which I find fairly annoying and after gathering a few extra aegis items.
Wait what? 180 hit rating is basically no hit rating - IIRC you need at least 300 to not suck in solo stuff, but probably there are places where you need more.

Proper weapon QL (10 in case of Tokyo) and hit rating (300? dunno, I always run with ~600-700 which is required for dungeons) should be your first priority - you will be simply glancing the mobs.

Cromwell

Arcane
Yeah I noticed the hit problem but could not get my hands on the right glyphs. I gave up and went to the auction house to at least crack the 600 barrier. Is it worth it to invest in nightwatch glyph kits with my newly aquired bb or any other gear or just weapons? I am also pondering if I should max the aegis skills first or the augments.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah I noticed the hit problem but could not get my hands on the right glyphs. I gave up and went to the auction house to at least crack the 600 barrier.
Couldn't you just spend your sequins for blue glyph kits? How much you payed in AH?

Is it worth it to invest in nightwatch glyph kits with my newly aquired bb or any other gear or just weapons?
You get a lot of nightwatch kits if you run NM dungeons. If you won't run them, then you'll have to buy kits from vendor. But first buy yourself some weapons (at least the ones for your solo build) and missing talismans (2? you should have the rest from quests).

I am also pondering if I should max the aegis skills first or the augments.
Auguments take a lot of time and luck - you may want to be fully decked before doing them. Better max the first 2 AEGIS skills (faster swap and more damage), so you can run Tokyo content without problems.

Remember to max one controller first, so you can wear better capacitors (f.e. having a 1.5 controller equipped lets you use a QL5 capacitor). I found psychic and cybernetic the most useful, demonic enemies are more rare in my experience.

Cromwell

Arcane
Later today Issue 12 will come out. I will get the epic gear from issue 6 on before I continue in tokio. If I put pure accurate glyphs in head talisman and the two weapons (which I willl buy from the nw) I shoulöd come up to around 600 hit like I am now but with `fewer Glyphs. That opens up the glyph slots of the major and minor talismans which I want to fill with pen.

Is there a Number at which I should stop penetration stacking, or should I go for some mix of pen / x ?

I also read that all of the talismans I get from the issues are custom which means I can upgrade them If I may have enough bb later, is that true?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Later today Issue 12 will come out. I will get the epic gear from issue 6 on before I continue in tokio. If I put pure accurate glyphs in head talisman and the two weapons (which I willl buy from the nw) I shoulöd come up to around 600 hit like I am now but with `fewer Glyphs. That opens up the glyph slots of the major and minor talismans which I want to fill with pen.

Is there a Number at which I should stop penetration stacking, or should I go for some mix of pen / x ?

I also read that all of the talismans I get from the issues are custom which means I can upgrade them If I may have enough bb later, is that true?
The talismans from Issues work as normal Nightwatch gear - you can fully upgrade them using kits.

Putting hit rating in weapons is not a good choice unless you will use those weapons all the time. Better put them in head and neck - it assure you'll always have enough hit rating, nevermind the weapon (like for some builds I'm still using weapons dropped in dungeons). For weapons it's better to put a glyph that works with a specific style (f.e. critical power if this is the weapon you'll use for Elemental Force consumers).

I would go for something like this:

http://joakibj.com/tswcalc/#weapon=...st=5,3,5,3,2,3,1,3,0&occult=5,2,5,2,4,3,1,0,0

I use a setup like this for soloing and for endgame leeching. You need to be close to 700 hit rating (I don't think you ever need more) and around 900-1000 penetration. Penetration is the safest damage increase - as long as you meet the value for specific enemy it will always penetrate.

You may want to avoid putting hit and penetration in healing talis - a waste if you will ever decide to use them for blood/fist healing.

Summary:
- avoid hit rating on weapons
- avoid hit rating/penetration on healing pieces
- about 600-700 hit rating after full upgrade, preferably on dps neck and head
- about 900-1000 penetration rating after full upgrade, preferably on dps talis

PS Watch out for Breaching and Laceration signets - those are the best ones. Thirst is also very useful.

PS2 If you have at least 1500 achievement points, you can buy Benefation Potions from Dr Caligari (he's in hub cities) - dirt cheap and great (gives some attack, healing and health for 1h)

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
I wonder now that potentially everyone has a way to get up to gear level 10.7 (Are they going to add more options for solo fags, or is it just redoing missions for daily/weekly challenges? ), what will the new single player content in issue #14 balanced towards?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I just started this, men. What should I focus on as a total newbie ?
#1: Screw around, have fun, of course.

#2: Once you've picked out your two weapons, make sure to get "builder" and "finisher" skills for each of them. So you'll "build" 5 times to light up the 5 dots for a weapon, and then use the finisher to spend the dots with a major attack. Otherwise your effort is going to waste.

After that, just look for skills that seem cool in your chosen weapon trees, and particularly watch for synergies e.g. one attack that inflicts the Impaired status, and another attack that does extra damage to Impaired enemies.

Once you learn the system we can talk about stuff like adding skills from other trees and other advanced foolishness.

choose by larp: pick the weapon you think is the coolest and build around that. skill after skill, you'll understand by yourself what you want to do.
only one rule of thumb: usually weapons of the same kind don't mix very well. other than that, enjoy.

Cromwell

Arcane
#1: Screw around, have fun, of course.

#2: Once you've picked out your two weapons, make sure to get "builder" and "finisher" skills for each of them. So you'll "build" 5 times to light up the 5 dots for a weapon, and then use the finisher to spend the dots with a major attack. Otherwise your effort is going to waste.

I dont iknow if it was different at the beginning but normally you can build points for both weapons with one skill only, so you only need one builder 2 finisher, rest of the slots you can use for utility skills or other stuff.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dont iknow if it was different at the beginning but normally you can build points for both weapons with one skill only, so you only need one builder 2 finisher, rest of the slots you can use for utility skills or other stuff.
Good point and true. It's been a while :oops:

Zombra

Patron
For soloing pick up a tanking weapon (sword or hammer) then pick up something you think will be useful.
Not necessary until at least Transylvania. My Pistols/Shotgun paper tiger build has soloed brilliantly for the first 200 hours or whatever. Just take whatever weapons you think are cool, you'll have more fun. When you're doing advanced nightmare dungeons and shit, then start to worry about optimizing.

Name

Cipher
Besides the one builder and two consumers, try to unlock the inner circle of all weapons for accessing all the passive abilities.
Be sure to progress all the talisman skills along with the two weapons of your choice.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Not necessary until at least Transylvania. My Pistols/Shotgun paper tiger build has soloed brilliantly for the first 200 hours or whatever. Just take whatever weapons you think are cool, you'll have more fun. When you're doing advanced nightmare dungeons and shit, then start to worry about optimizing.
Well, it's easier to be focused at start, when you have limited choice.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
So, is anyone in a somewhat active cabal that does dungeon runs and such? I'm templar if that changes anything.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
So, is anyone in a somewhat active cabal that does dungeon runs and such? I'm templar if that changes anything.
You can try The Arcane Light - a multi-cabal for all factions. We have something planned for most evenings (~20:00 GMT) and there are before/after groups. Older, no drama peeps, very helpful.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am in League of Monster Slayers but run most of my dungeons from #sanctuary and #noobmares, lots of friendly & helpful people there. The first one is a general chat for people with questions and random banter, second one is specifically designed for newcomers to nightmare dungeons.

Cromwell

Arcane
Whatever negative thing I ever said about this game pales in comparision to the fucking nightmares in the dreampalace quest. The one where you get intoxicated. What started out as very atmospheric quickly became just annoying after they decided every 5 seconds to stun me for 10 more. While all I have to do is walk straight ahead and nothing happens, I just have to stand still for ten seconds every 5. Whoever came up with the idea to make this more immersive needs to be shot.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Whatever negative thing I ever said about this game pales in comparision to the fucking nightmares in the dreampalace quest. The one where you get intoxicated. What started out as very atmospheric quickly became just annoying after they decided every 5 seconds to stun me for 10 more. While all I have to do is walk straight ahead and nothing happens, I just have to stand still for ten seconds every 5. Whoever came up with the idea to make this more immersive needs to be shot.
Eh, can't remember anything like that. I thought it might be the one where you visit different bars and have to fight while intoxicated, but you don't get stunned there.

EDIT:
Did The Manufactory yesterday and every boss dropped controller 2.0 upgrade. Fights are pretty easy (low damage), but with a bit more complicated mechanics (closer to AoC dungeons). Only the conveyor belt fight was hectic - 3 bosses at once, lots of powerful AoE, random aggro and you have to make them hit each other.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom