Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Cromwell

Arcane
So I think I finished all of the current story missions, I now have to wait from a call from my handler. I liked everything storyrelated until now but I am also a bit disappointed since they said issue 11 is the big answer to all the questions and the big finale to the storyline started when the game came out. The answers were a bit meh and I thought there was a bit more to it. Now I have to wait until a few issues down the line.

I think the biggest disappointment was the consequence of my choices.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
So I think I finished all of the current story missions, I now have to wait from a call from my handler. I liked everything storyrelated until now but I am also a bit disappointed since they said issue 11 is the big answer to all the questions and the big finale to the storyline started when the game came out. The answers were a bit meh and I thought there was a bit more to it. Now I have to wait until a few issues down the line.

I think the biggest disappointment was the consequence of my choices.
Yeah, actually it adds more plot threads - the Mitsubachi, Project Odyssey etc. Have you visited all floors already?

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
No I actually just just learned from a blog post they went the "roguelike" way as they have called it and randomized the floors. They said "we couldnt let you go through all of this" which is also meh, I would have loved more to do. I was starting to get disappointed after realising how few not storyrelated stuff there actually is in kaidan. After finishing the balck signal there was next to nothing to do aside from the main story.

The mitsubachi were fucking annoying and I now understand why every npc calls you annoying when facing one of the bees soldiers. When it came down to the consequence of your choices I think the third mass effect had similar colors but more different outcomes. Also after all the buildup I found john a little disappointing. After reading they want new managment for funcom and the game I pray they dont fuck it up and instead of pvp concentrate on more storyheavy stuff. I would gladly pay double or triple for an issue if it comes with the appropriate amount of content, better then waiting half a year for an irrelevant update.

Dont know howw it goes for raiders but I cant imagina one new dungeon stays interesting long enough.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shame you didn't like Tokyo that much. It is probably my favourite zone together with Kingsmouth. It starts great with Sarah, introduces a colourful cast of characters, takes you through a lot of creepy environments and resolves the story of the bomb.You do have the side-stories though? They add some extra missions to Tokyo.

By the way, The Secret World doesn't really do c&c. Yeah, you can choose a few times between the filth and gaia but in the end you are just another bee doing the dirty work for your secret organization. I don't really mind it that much since it allows the story to shine. Rather this than all the c&c that SWTOR has to offer.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
By the way, The Secret World doesn't really do c&c. Yeah, you can choose a few times between the filth and gaia but in the end you are just another bee doing the dirty work for your secret organization.
I have a theory about that, which also explains the awkward behaviour of the PC.

Cromwell

Arcane
Meh they could have chosen a bettter location than the poark but then again better than nothing, will play it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, wait, if there's talk of selling TSW ... I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here, what if they kept shared rights to publish games within the IP and just started making single-player games in this universe? I like other players but this always felt like it would have been better as a SP game in the first place.

Name

Cipher
Wonder how heavy they will utilize Secret World lores there, e.g. Dreamers, Sargasso Sea etc.

Because I remember the park is special just because it's magical like those PVP locations (e.g. Fusang, Stonehedge).

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Wonder how heavy they will utilize Secret World lores there, e.g. Dreamers, Sargasso Sea etc.

Because I remember the park is special just because it's magical like those PVP locations (e.g. Fusang, Stonehedge).
They don't have to put any of that - the park was weird before the mist came. No one sane went there since some time, so I'm guessing it's a day one type of thing.

Would be cool to get stuff directly tied to the Filth though. Otherwise it will be basically Alan Wake (which you can totally play thinking you're on Solomon Island pre-mist).

I prefer Orochi/Red Hand/Morninglight lines over fantasy-ish stuff (which is still well done).

Seriously, soviet vampire scientists working in gargantuan underground bunkers since Cold War is dope as fuck.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So what's this game like? I'm shopping around for a new MMO and this always seemed kinda interesting because it tried to be a bit different, from what I understood. What's the end game like? Does it turn into another raid grind?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
So what's this game like? I'm shopping around for a new MMO and this always seemed kinda interesting because it tried to be a bit different, from what I understood. What's the end game like? Does it turn into another raid grind?
It *IS* different - if only you can stomach MMO combat, it's a unique action/adventure game with challenging content and minimal handholding. If you look for more traditional MMO features - it may not be for you.

The story part is tailored for solo experience - there's a big weight put on atmosphere and lots of missions require a slow approach (reading, hacking, sabotaging). Quests are generally very creative and even "go kill" ones are executed well. There's enough of that to sink ~200h and totally disregard the MMO part (which is not required to progress).

Setting mixes Lovecraft-ish mythology with historic events, real-world phenomena and cliches from Gaiman, Barker and King - but puts that into modern world where people know what's a cell phone or internet (some characters even use twitter). It has serious tones, but is also pastiche-y and ironic.

Finally - it has high production values: it's fully voiced, has cutscenes for majority of missions, there are tons of unique and beautiful locations/assets (hopefully you saw that if you visited screenshot thread).

Dunno what you expect of endgame - there is no new content released weekly (or even monthly), at some point you will have to repeat stuff to keep playing. But like I said - there game is very big and has almost no filler IMHO. Even the smallest quests give a bit of flavour and sometimes provide unique lore.

Since the recent currency revamp, all content gives the same rewards (except Kaidan) - you never waste time even if you move back. The only difference is speed - doing endgame content pays more.

Disclosure: I was featured on official Age of Conan website, also I 've invested roughly 1300€ in Age of Conan and The Secret World

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well obviously I can stomach MMO combat since I'm currently playing EQ again. I just want an MMO that isn't the same Tolkien fantasy. Since I like Occultic and horror stuff this game seemed kinda cool. It's F2P, right? Just buy the game and go go go?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well obviously I can stomach MMO combat since I'm currently playing EQ again. I just want an MMO that isn't the same Tolkien fantasy. Since I like Occultic and horror stuff this game seemed kinda cool.
Other than the old timey MMO combat, it's an excellent game, so if that's not a downer for you, go for it all the way dude.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Well obviously I can stomach MMO combat since I'm currently playing EQ again. I just want an MMO that isn't the same Tolkien fantasy. Since I like Occultic and horror stuff this game seemed kinda cool. It's F2P, right? Just buy the game and go go go?
I can't play most MMOs, because bland writing/art kills it for me.

Both AoC and TSW are games with realistic art design, which greatly emphasizes the "fantastic" part. Then there is this prevalent sense of horror/mystery, conveyed in character dialogues, lore, scenery, music.

I thought that the whole Conan thing is shit (because all I ever saw was regurgitated waste) before I played AoC (because they stayed true to original novels - which I promptly read - and expanded the Lovecraft part of the setting).

I thought that TSW will be shit, but I was sold by a fucking tutorial mission - when I saw the Filth and Dreaming Prison in closed beta.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Is there some server where Codexbros are playing? Also, do I need to get the Ultimate Edition or is the normie 30€ one fine?
You save a lot with Ultimate Pack - it has all extra content except the latest issue (which is purely endgame).

Issues up to 8 add extra quests in existing playfields, Issue*s 9+ is new playfield and related content.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom