Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Kem0sabe

Arcane
i'm too old for that shit, i did enough of that in anarchy online and sometimes still do in warframe but only because it's a 30 seconds affair.
even warcraft, the bane of all good and right, got rid of that.
IMO MMOing is not fun without a fun guild though. If you're just grouping just to group then you (I) get bored and uninstall eventually. I mean, wiping actually is fun when you're with guild members you're good friends with.
I have a chill guild in TSW, but in AoC it's full hardcore - 4h boss training sessions and raid leader yelling at people included.

AOC is still active?
There's is a hardcore following and updates are coming out once in a while - I have enough backlog to keep me occupied until next year. The new raid tier is still only beaten by Destiny and CoE and we (and a bunch of other guilds) is currently working on the last boss.

I still have fun running around, exploring stuff I missed and taking a lot of pics. Funcom created awesome worlds in AoC and TSW - I don't think I ever felt anything like that in case of older games with fleshed out worlds. It's just a complete package of art design, detailed environments and writing.

In terms of quests is it a good solo experience for a player who just wants to explore the world?

Gord

Arcane
In terms of quests is it a good solo experience for a player who just wants to explore the world?

The investigation missions are awesome (but quite hard sometimes) and don't require parties. Following the main quest can be done solo, as well.
However, the question is what you expect from exploring the world. The game revolves completely around missions and combat. Most of the world is filled with mobs and the interesting parts of TSW are found in the various missions (usually the non-combat missions).
You might find some starting point for some mission when exploring, but you usually won't find a cool dungeon to explore with a unique weapon at the end - those would again be tied to missions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

The investigation missions are awesome (but quite hard sometimes) and don't require parties. Following the main quest can be done solo, as well.
However, the question is what you expect from exploring the world. The game revolves completely around missions and combat. Most of the world is filled with mobs and the interesting parts of TSW are found in the various missions (usually the non-combat missions).
You might find some starting point for some mission when exploring, but you usually won't find a cool dungeon to explore with a unique weapon at the end - those would again be tied to missions.

I mean Conan.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

I mean Conan.
You will have to endure a lot more "kill x fools" and fed ex quests than in TSW, but they're served with a good dose of lore and awesome atmosphere. Game is often clunky, wonky, some assets are really crappy - but at the same time it does what it does the best in genre and can be really beautiful (I hope I showed that on the screenshots I've posted in the screenshot thread).

The main quest is a generic "cursed chosen one", but all the other stuff was more interesting for me. Ancient ruins are almost everywhere, cities are built on top of them - you can't fart and not hit a cultist or a madman possessed by some ancient relic. In bloodthirstiness, the surface dwellers rival the evil that lurks beneath.

I actually didn't care about Funcom (didn't play any of their games before) or Conan (it was that dumb movie with Arnie, right?) before I started playing Age of Conan - but I got sold fast on the dark cults, cannibals, eldritch horrors, ancient civilizations, lovecraftiness, gore, sexiness. I guess they've made a good job, because I also had to read all the original novels to learn more.

The base game is a more classic Conan experience, but the expansions go closer to TSW (more mystery, stealth missions, even a bit of investigating).

Unless you're capped on your downloads, you should try it - you can get max level and run the main quest until it's evolves into 24-man raids (it's for premiums IIRC).

Cromwell There's only one server per ruleand, so not much choice. I'm playing on the PvE one - Crom - and it's definitely a lot happening at level 80. I don't think you'll be able to do any PvP before 80, but you should be able to get some people for low level dungeons (I even did a purist achievement with a fresh character).

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
Thanks I will look into it on the weekend. Maybe I get another friend to look into it with me so we would be three people playing. How do they handle expansions cant find anything on their website, like tsw, or do I get them for free?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I mean Conan.
You will have to endure a lot more "kill x fools" and fed ex quests than in TSW, but they're served with a good dose of lore and awesome atmosphere. Game is often clunky, wonky, some assets are really crappy - but at the same time it does what it does the best in genre and can be really beautiful (I hope I showed that on the screenshots I've posted in the screenshot thread).

The main quest is a generic "cursed chosen one", but all the other stuff was more interesting for me. Ancient ruins are almost everywhere, cities are built on top of them - you can't fart and not hit a cultist or a madman possessed by some ancient relic. In bloodthirstiness, the surface dwellers rival the evil that lurks beneath.

I actually didn't care about Funcom (didn't play any of their games before) or Conan (it was that dumb movie with Arnie, right?) before I started playing Age of Conan - but I got sold fast on the dark cults, cannibals, eldritch horrors, ancient civilizations, lovecraftiness, gore, sexiness. I guess they've made a good job, because I also had to read all the original novels to learn more.

The base game is a more classic Conan experience, but the expansions go closer to TSW (more mystery, stealth missions, even a bit of investigating).

Unless you're capped on your downloads, you should try it - you can get max level and run the main quest until it's evolves into 24-man raids (it's for premiums IIRC).

Cromwell There's only one server per ruleand, so not much choice. I'm playing on the PvE one - Crom - and it's definitely a lot happening at level 80. I don't think you'll be able to do any PvP before 80, but you should be able to get some people for low level dungeons (I even did a purist achievement with a fresh character).

Can you play solo through all the pve content except dungeons and raids?

And how are the restrictions for free version players?

it's not "free", still buy to play. you can solo 100% of the story. actually you have to, all story instances are solo instances.
there are really no big restrictions per se, you just have access to fewer quests.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
What game are we talking about? AoC is free to play, but most group content and additional expansion areas are for subbers. It's a mess though and I don't actually know specifics - f.e. Turan (level 50 area with a T3.5 raid and scaling solo dungeons) is always accessible if you bought the expansion, but the massive Khitai is for subbers only.

They moved all the expansions to the ingame shop, but you'll rather want them after hitting 80.

You can only have 2 characters and inventory/gold is capped.

You can totally solo to 80, though you will run into some optional group quests.

BTW - they just added a pvp/pet arena.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What game are we talking about? AoC is free to play, but most group content and additional expansion areas are for subbers. It's a mess though and I don't actually know specifics - f.e. Turan (level 50 area with a T3.5 raid and scaling solo dungeons) is always accessible if you bought the expansion, but the massive Khitai is for subbers only.

They moved all the expansions to the ingame shop, but you'll rather want them after hitting 80.

You can totally solo to 80, though you will run into some optional group quests.

Back during the beta the game had some huge hardware requirements, how optimized is it now? considering how badly TSW runs these days.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

Back during the beta the game had some huge hardware requirements, how optimized is it now? considering how badly TSW runs these days.
Both still require a relatively powerful machine if you wanna run with max settings.

I'm running an ancient 2,8GHz/6GB/560Ti and I had to turn some stuff off (mostly lighting and particles) - game still looks gorgeous and I can hog through raids at cinematic 20-40fps.

BTW - they'll be changing subscription benefits/f2p limitations: http://www.ageofconan.com/news/letter_from_the_game_director

so, my crappy unfocused build can solo a transilvania nightmare but gets utterly shredded by a single innsmouth nightmare zombie.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
New content.
Issue #15 features the most missions ever seen in a single Issue, including all missions from Sidestories: Further Analysis, Love & Loathing, and The Last Pagan, plus a brand-new investigation mission that’s one of our most in-depth yet!
Plus, if you already own any of the three Sidestory packs, you get all of Issue #15 for free!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
New content.
Issue #15 features the most missions ever seen in a single Issue, including all missions from Sidestories: Further Analysis, Love & Loathing, and The Last Pagan, plus a brand-new investigation mission that’s one of our most in-depth yet!
Plus, if you already own any of the three Sidestory packs, you get all of Issue #15 for free!

Does the Tokyo pack ever go on sale outside of Steam? I've done most of the pre issue 9 stuff.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
New content.

Does the Tokyo pack ever go on sale outside of Steam? I've done most of the pre issue 9 stuff.
Since the release on Steam they put all the stuff there or directly in game. I remember Bundlestars also had some TSW offers, but it could be just the Ultimate pack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom