Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't see how this is a bad thing for anyone. If you enjoyed playing TSW before, you'll enjoy playing it again with improved gameplay. And if you didn't enjoy it, what the fuck were you playing it for?
Not to mention that the other servers will still be kept around for anyone.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see how this is a bad thing for anyone.
Well ................... there are the people who spent 1600 hours grinding for 50 green stones so they could make a blue stone and then ground for 100 blue stones so they could make a red stone and etc. I can see how they'd want all their "work" transferred over to the new version. But fuck those people, they still have all that shit on the old version, nothing stopping them from still playing there.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't see how this is a bad thing for anyone. If you enjoyed playing TSW before, you'll enjoy playing it again with improved gameplay. And if you didn't enjoy it, what the fuck were you playing it for?
Not to mention that the other servers will still be kept around for anyone.
People are arguing that the old servers will be kept on a sort of maintenance mode and all the new players will go on legend so nobody will see their majestic 2000h invested character. I can easily argue that the alternative is no new player cares to play Secret World, eventually FunCom won't see much of a finantial reason to keep the game going as they have Conan now as a revenue stream and will just pull the plug. This is a way to bring alot of players to the game and keep it alive for a few more years like Age of Conan, yeah sure, your character will be stuck on the classic servers but this is the reality of any MMO, eventualy all those digital pixels you grinded so much to get are going to disappear on a puff of smoke.

Lhynn

Arcane
Meh, theres no reason to kill an mmo, unless you have like 50 people playing. Server costs are p small, arent they?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Remember when star wars galaxies did this? Screwing old players and then failing to bring in enough new players to offset?

This mess is going down the same path, and I can guarantee you right here and now that you won't see season 2 or the Congo this year... Its all lies and smoke screens, much like funcom has been doing for years when it comes to content updates.

New players will come in, play through the release content and leave without spending anything, old players who were the ones supporting the cash store, wont have anything to do with the game because they now have less content than they have in the old servers.

TSW won't make it past 2018.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
tearingmeapart.gif

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART FUNCOM

I just took part in a mystic ritual called "full T5 clear" - it was fine, with all these 10s lag spikes in critical moments. But if the game would die, I could finally do something else.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
New interview:
http://www.mmorpg.com/secret-world-...d-legends-better-than-the-original-1000011652

We think one of the strengths of The Secret World was its story and settings.

As a Shared World RPG, we have reduced the maximum amount of players that can enter a playfield. While adventuring, you will still meet a few strangers here and there, but the focus is on you, and your friends if you choose. You are following your character's story, your experience won't be affected by hundreds of other players nearby trying to kill the same monster.
:yeah:
So they realized that TSW should have been a single player MMO and they try to bring the new game closer to that. Not the best option but better than nothing. Fucccccck yeah!

Lhynn

Arcane
Any of you retards got a beta key? heard they sent the first invites a few days ago.

Lhynn

Arcane
Only thing that bothers me is the dumbing down of investigation quests, if it happens. Everything else i dont give much of a fuck, combat was horrible anyway.

vampiregrave

Educated
Only thing that bothers me is the dumbing down of investigation quests, if it happens. Everything else i dont give much of a fuck, combat was horrible anyway.

There you go:

The problem with a leak like this isn’t “people finding out about how the game is going to be”. It’s quite the opposite: it’s still in development, it’s not ready for that kind of scrutiny, and that leads to misunderstandings and misconceptions that are doing nothing but a disservice to the game, the team working on it, and future players.

The Closed Beta is under NDA as we are still doing changes, additions, tweaks, and improvements for what will be in the release version. Nothing is set in stone yet and many of the details here are still in development and were planned to be made ready to test for future beta updates.

There is too much here to address individually, but one example of misinformation is the idea of the investigation missions having changed: they haven’t. We added one investigation mission tutorial. Combat is another thing we’re heavily focused on right now. Only a few weapons are currently available in the beta, to give everyone a chance to give feedback, to make sure each feels fun and balanced. For example, the information released about Blood is invalid, since the weapon isn’t currently available on the beta servers.

We have always made sure press and influencers have access to pre-launch betas so that they can report from our games before they release. We will do the same for Secret World Legends, but need the chance to polish the silverware, put up the lights, and sweep the floors before we lift the NDA and open for everyone to evaluate the game and judge us on what we’re delivering.

I should also mention that we’re doing another edition of our biweekly developer stream tomorrow, April 7, on Twitch.tv/Funcom in case anyone wants to tune in! We’ll be discussing more about Secret World Legends, specifically about the content that we feel is ready to talk about. :)

Source: MassivelyOP

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm glad to hear that part specifically because "let's axe the obtuse investigation missions" would be exactly what a company would do make the game more appealing. I'll welcome combat changes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Reddit leak about combat and other stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSecretWorldLegends/

Didn't have time to read all this stuff but from the little I read, they aren't replacing the tab target system, only hiding it. You will play on reticle mode that is right now on Secret World but with less restricted dodging but you can't fire if there aren't targets on sight, for example, and I dunno if they are changing the whole melee enemies being ridiculous fast and can hit you even when their models are far away from you. It will be annoying having an assault rifle and having all those zombies charging you at inhuman speed and you having to adjust your aim to enemies that are pounding you in melee, this was one of things that made me not use ranged weapons on Secret World because it always felt retarded to me to aim an M16 on melee distance and surrounded by zombies on methamphetamine.

My main complaint with combat was how movement and position made almost no difference because melee enemies could just count on their methamphetamine boosted speed and magic auto target attacks making player skill irrelevant. I prefered much more if the enemy didn't have those cheap auto hitting attacks but avoidable abilities that could fuck you in the ass if you were slow and that movement was much more important but I dunno if they are changing things that far.

From what I read this "action RPG" thing feels kinda half assed, not enough action to really address the problems many people had with the combat and being more of a cosmetic change, dunno if this is enough to justify pissing off the old player base. Funcom needs to be careful.

The leaks mention that the new animations, especially the improvement on hit reaction from enemies make the abilities seem more impactful, they are trying to make the combat less floaty. (one of the things I absolutely hated on the combat too, all weapons feel wimpy as fuck on Secret World.)

They are overhauling the skill wheel, mostly cleaning the clutter in there and making the effect and advantages of both active and passive abilities more clear to the players. From the little I read, each passive and active abilities seem to have a clear effect now instead of 6.5% of extra damage when the Moon and Mars allign during winter. The the wheel seems alot less obscure.

They will keep the builders and consumers system on some form but alot changed. Each weapon has a new gimmick to build resources, pistols have some weird dual chambers you need to align to make more damage, the shotgun has different ammo that you can use, elementarism has a gimmick where fire and lighting spells create heat and heat allots you to make more damage but you can overheat on the process, need to cool yourself down with ice spells. Chaos magic has something similar with the old builder system but when charged, it releases a random chaos effects on enemies.

From what I read, it is a mixed bag so far on the beta, alot of positive changes but not enough to justify the "action RPG" label that will mislead alot of people as alot of the old combat system will remain.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Didn't see much of a difference on the combat to be sincere, same old melee monsters charge you with magic auto attacks and sometimes you need to dodge the big bad white circle of death abilities. Dunno why this slightly cosmetic change was worthy to piss off the old fans. Being a reticle there doesn't make any difference on the combat and doesn't turn it on an action game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I was expecting something closer to this:

Notice how on those MMOs, you can dodge wherever you want and the enemy doesn't have bullshit magic auto hitting attacks and the hitting feedback on enemies is much better. The combat system on Secret World Legends continue to be, at least for now, the same ole boring nonsense with a coat of paint. Nope, won't return to the game until they implement a system where mobility is relevant and no, making you left click, left click, left click, left click isn't much different form 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Do they still have the ridiculous density of monsters in the maps? And those heroic areas? And are the dungeons all soloable now?

vampiregrave

Educated
Do they still have the ridiculous density of monsters in the maps? And those heroic areas? And are the dungeons all soloable now?

Mob density was reduced. There are still nightmare areas but most were designed for groups of at least 3-4 people; the other nightmare areas are basically grind spots, everyone with a decent solo build can burn through those without much effort.

The dungeons were always soloable, you just need a decent build/gear; if you are asking if they implemented a «story mode», the answer is no.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Why just heck not just make the game single player at this point. Probably would sell more.

Gerrard

Arcane
I was expecting something closer to this:

Notice how on those MMOs, you can dodge wherever you want and the enemy doesn't have bullshit magic auto hitting attacks and the hitting feedback on enemies is much better. The combat system on Secret World Legends continue to be, at least for now, the same ole boring nonsense with a coat of paint. Nope, won't return to the game until they implement a system where mobility is relevant and no, making you left click, left click, left click, left click isn't much different form 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Enemies in Neverwinter do have retarded bullshit auto attacks though. You can't see it because he doesn't have enemy damage numbers on. Don't know about BDO but there are people here who played it extensively.

Drakron

Arcane
Many attacks in BDO are in fact AOE attacks, you do get hit by something ... desych is a bigger problem since you might see you dodging on the client but the server disagrees.
Field bosses are cancer because of massive AOE attacks you cannot see proprtly, point is ... you will get hit at some point.

Another thing, several abilities can ONLY be cast with the toolbar so dont think you will never press the 1-0 key.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom