Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

vampiregrave

Educated
New devstream.

A summary posted on Reddit:
  • Reticule icon will be something you can change. Including an option that is no "target" at all.

• There WILL be a fashion camera option that will be adjustable to player preferences (can we PLEASE stop arguing about this now?).

• Group Finder will be improved and new stuff added. Including "private team" option that will help avoid waiting for a queue and will let people bypass most requirements including holy trinity IF THEY WANT. However you will need to be within level range for each dungeon (like no low level players in NMs). They ran Polaris as a 3-player dungeon in stream.

• There will be 15 abilities per weapon. Skills that were removed from game were skills that were least played.

• UI is still work in progress. Next beta should have a more accurate vision.

• Base progression system is much more scalable and will let them do more with difficulties in game than before.

• Trinkets will have their own slots in inventory.

• There will be lock out timers on dungeons, but you can buy keys to unlock with in game currency. Dungeons will be used as a way to improve equipment faster. Whatever loot chest drops and you find you don't like the items you got you can sacrifice to your gear to help improve their power. Better drops for harder dungeons. Cost of upgrade will scale with color of weapon (green will cost less than purple). Each loot chest that drops from bosses will have a chance to be an upgraded version and have random bonus items. You can choose not to open chest to help lower level people in your group. You pay "keys" to open chests which you can replenish.

• Chaos ability is when you do a certain amount of damage a random effect will trigger, including spawning a clone of yourself.

• Primary Weapon / Secondary Weapon still exists, with more energy slotted/speed of recharge to the primary.

• Tweaking Aegis when they get closer to release to Tokyo

• Plans to reward people who bought TSW previously. Also anything you got in bags or store you'll get to keep. There is a 6.6K item list they are still sorting through. 3K items will be transferable as of right now.

• Aiming for spring release

• Still working on Patron rewards, not ready to announce

• Next beta phase will be including a new batch of people invited. They revoke keys when not used within a couple of days. Egypt will be added to next beta round. Ability bar revamp will be completed and properly skinned. Blood will be added.

• Concept of decks - question of wether this was something they are changing? You start game with two weapons. You get a bonus as you unlock more weapons and will be able to combine any two weapons on your bar.

• Weapon cosmetics will be talked about closer to when they talk about clothing "closet."

• They gave away 7 keys on stream

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The reboot sounds like it might be the time to finally try the game. I've always liked single player RPGs with additional optional MMO elements, so this is actually appealing to me. I just wish they would have redesigned it to allow you to play it entirely offline.

vampiregrave

Educated
There was another livestream last Friday:

A big point of interest was the look at the combat abilities. The stream highlighted the new gimmicks — the special weapon abilities — as well as the active and passive ability windows. The 16 active abilities on each weapon come in four distinct types designated by colored names. The builders and consumers system was replaced with energy that regenerates over time.

• White: Basic abilities with no energy cost so they can be spammed.
  • Red: Power abilities that consume energy and are used most of the time.
  • Purple: Specials that consume more energy but are stronger and have a cooldown.
  • Yellow: Elite ability, of which players can only have one active at a time.

Unlike in The Secret World, the map in SWL will show quest markers only for the missions that are of the player’s level or lower; no longer will players see icons for missions they can’t reasonably complete yet. Also, completed missions will be indicated. Game Director Romain Amiel emphasized that missions are still repeatable, except for story missions prior to Tokyo.

As for upgrading gear, devs showed how simple it was to just feed looted gear into the piece you want to keep in the crafting window. Devs also announced that the next iteration of beta is planned for soon and will bring Transylvania’s Shadowy Forest and Besieged Farmlands in along with the blade. If you missed the stream live, you can catch all the details in the recording.

MassivelyOP

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was another livestream last Friday:

The builders and consumers system was replaced with energy that regenerates over time.
Finally. That system was such an annoyingly gamey mess ("Okay, now I need to attack 2x with this, then 1x that, then I can use the actually good attack..."). Instead of focusing on the enemy, you were focusing on your resource consumption.
A mana bar is not exactly creative, but it is proven.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
mfw people rejoicing at gaem being dumbed down

Yr1Bn7f.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
The problem with the secret world was that the combat was retardedly bad. They can work on reimplementing properly balanced skills later on and making the systems more complex as they go, but if your gameplay is shit complexity alone adds nothing.
Tho im probably being fabulously optimistic.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
If they're not fixing the combat at least they should make slogging through it less annoying.

vampiregrave

Educated
Well, I have to admit that I'm a litlle apprehensive now, considering what we've been hearing about the state of the beta:

BIG NEWS! We're excited to announce that Secret World Legends is launching on June 26th 2017! To celebrate the announcement we've put together a video giving you a quick overview of what the game is all about.

Source: Secret World Legends Facebook Fan Page

Lhynn

Arcane
Meh, at worst they fuck it up and i end up not playing the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some beta footage:

Looks like they went away from tab targeting and made it more "action combat" now.

Yes that was one of the goals from the beginning. I played it thisway a long time ago through a mod. Much more comfortable.

vampiregrave

Educated
Some clarifications about the F2P model:

What is Free to Play?
Hi everyone!

Lately, we’ve been getting a bunch of questions about just what “free to play” really means, so today we’re going into a little more detail about what that’s all about.

WHAT IS FREE TO PLAY?
First of all, the whole idea behind Secret World Legends is to be able to share this crazy, rich universe with as many people as possible. We’ve got something like 100+ hours of mission and story content in the game, and removing the up-front pay barrier to the full game was really important to us. So, here we are: the game is free to play.

It costs nothing to download and nothing to play the entire game. Every story, every mission, every dungeon, every region–all free for everybody. This also means that any and all future content will also be free! Everybody will be able to experience new stories and content as they’re released without having to pay.

Really, the only limit is your own character’s level. You’ll never be forced to artificially pay out any cash or tokens in order to unlock missions and story progress.

MARKS OF FAVOUR AND AURUM
A pillar of our free-to-play model is being able to obtain anything through simply playing the game. Every item, skill, and ability in the game can be obtained without needing to pay real money for it–granted, you always have the option to buy things with cash, but you are never physically required to do so for anything.

The foundation of this pillar is a player-driven economy revolving around two currencies: Marks of Favour, and Aurum. There are many things you can only purchase with Marks of Favour, and some only with Aurum.

Marks of Favour are a flexible currency used for a variety of things, such as purchasing items from the Auction House, additional weapons, potion refills, dungeon keys, fusing items, cosmetic options, social items, and more. They are collected by completing daily challenges and by selling items to other players through the auction house–just playing the game.

For example, while each starting Class comes with only 2 different weapons, you can unlock every other weapon and ability for your character by spending Marks of Favour. You never need to pay cash or Aurum to unlock the other weapons for your character!

Aurum is Secret World Legends’ premium currency–you purchase Aurum with real money and use it to acquire various items, conveniences, and services. These include things like additional character slots, boosters, extra inventory space, vanity items (pets, mounts, outfits), and more.

THE EXCHANGE AND ECONOMY
Marks of Favour may be used to obtain Aurum, and Aurum may be used to obtain Marks of Favour. That’s where the Exchange comes in! The Exchange is a currency market where you may trade Aurum with other players for Marks of Favour, and vice-versa. You set the price, and you create the exchange rate. This is your economy.

Here’s a scenario: Let’s say an awesome shotgun drops for you while you’re playing. Sweet! This weapon could be worth a lot on the Auction House, so you put it up for sale; behold, another player indeed buys it from you! You then take your Marks to the Exchange and trade them out with someone for Aurum. Now, you can get that pet or booster you’ve been wanting!

You could even just keep the Marks for yourself, since many things are still only obtainable through spending Marks of Favour.

How you want to go about it is up to you!

We hope this helps answer some questions you may have had about Secret World Legends’ free-to-play model!

Source: Official Secret World Legends Website

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice, quick summary based on the beta. The guy confirms that the devs really went from MMO to more of a shared world/single player type of game, which is awesome. Will try it out day one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I had a TSW account once, I bought the game for like 10 euro in a sale somewhere, but I never got that into it, dunno why. The setting and concept behind it is interesting, but the combat was kinda meaningless, I guess, but I've always wanted to fight Cthulhu, so I'll try it again once this comes out. I hope it doesn't have a horrendous free to play model, I despise those with all my being.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I had a TSW account once, I bought the game for like 10 euro in a sale somewhere, but I never got that into it, dunno why. The setting and concept behind it is interesting, but the combat was kinda meaningless, I guess, but I've always wanted to fight Cthulhu, so I'll try it again once this comes out. I hope it doesn't have a horrendous free to play model, I despise those with all my being.
The combat is the main gamechanger in the reboot, so it should be more bearable. Regarding the free to play, every content and future contents will presumably be free, microtransactions should only apply to cosmetic stuff and boosters like bigger inventory.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I would be more than satisfied if you didn't need to carefully aggro one enemy at time while you are low level and you actually could track more than three quests avoiding painful backtracking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom