Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Seven Years War

Kuattro

Augur
http://store.steampowered.com/app/400470/

I saw this on sale and I thought it looked interesting. Then I saw that you get to create divisions regiment by regiment (and I expect armies/corps division by division?) and my heart started beating pretty fucking fast.

But it's still 15€ and I have the bad habit of buying a game (I had to restrain myself when I saw that division creation screen) and then, after playing 5 hours, finding it's absolute horseshit, or at least not as good as it promised to be, and not being able to refund.

So, my friends, has any of you foolishly valiantly charged armed only with your trusty bayonet, tried it, and can you tell me only this: Is it as good as it looks? Because right now it looks exactly like the game that I have been designing in my head for years and that I'll never make because I'm lazy and useless.

And if not, at least let's hope some of you will decide to throw a couple bucks the way of the guy who is making the game all by himself (and yes, he is already developing paid DLC for it. Way of the world I guess, specially with niche products. Germans do have to eat too.).

EDIT: Fuck it, I bought it, I'm only human.

I guess the moment I realized these have been the 15€ best spent of the day was at the end of the "tutorial". I was asked to take my division (no armies, the division seems to be the only independent unit you use in the game), cross the Channel and take Lille because the british garlic reserves were running low.

If anyone thought this is Total War, they were so incredibly wrong. Stand in front of an enemy city for x number of turns until the enemy either spontanously vanishes or is massacred as it tries a sortie against my intact army? No sir!

I found myself in the need of building a siege camp, and to be quick about it. Basically because as soon as the siege began the frogs started bombarding my troops, and in just a couple of day I'd lost a couple dozen soldiers already. And then, once the camp was built, the slow process of building trenches so that my troops could take refuge. Once that first trench system was done, I decided I would build an artillery position so that my cannons could engage in a bit of counter-battery fire. So there my fusilliers and musketeers went, under the nasty french fire, digging position for the artillery, then more, closer, trenches, so that my grenadiers could, step by step, approach the city and prepare for assault, then closer artillery positions so that my cannons could fire at the walls, side trenches to flank the enemy and protect my army in case the enemy decided to attack me... and then they surrendered. And the enemy has the option, oh yes, to offer surrender of the city and the garrison just gets to walk out, arms, colours, and everything, like civilized people do.

I can't seem to find anything about sieges in the screens (EDIT to the EDIT: Turns out I'm a blind idiot, there is actually a siege screen, it just doesn't tell the story in all it's gory glory), and if I had seen on the steam page what I saw when I started that siege, I wouldn't have doubted for a second. I can't even imagine what would have happened to my army if a french division had showed up, because I was just mesmerized.

The economy... I don't think I've even understood it, not enough to describe it. If any of you has player Pride Of Nations, it seems to me like this guy did too, and then thought "bah, that's not complex enough!", and I don't use complex in the sense that game journalists do today ("I couldn't complete the Stellaris tutorial, this game is too hard!"), I mean complex in the "is there an accountant in the room" sense. There's regular expenses, extraordinary expenses, subsidies, taxes, trade, quarterly idontknowwhat, and more that I'm probably missing.

There's provincial buildings like farms and mines, that you need to build next to the resources you want them to collect, and then your traders will buy said resources and transport them to the cities, but they are merchants, not idiots, so they will only buy if they will make a profit, and they will move around looking for the best prices (you set them, because they're your companies producing resources). On the sea, there are explotation points or whatever they're called, they produce fish, and cotton and spices I think? And then back in the cities, there's a market for it all, your citizens have demands, your "corporate" have demands, and I don't know yet if that includes the demands to build ships and recruit soldiers, and then the prices are influenced by said demands. And above all, money. To pay for resources, to pay soldiers and sailors, otherwise they lose morale and desert.

The battles, I've only briefly looked at the historical ones. They reminded me of Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which is frankly the highest praise I can think of. If the comparison holds, if the battles are only half as good as they were in that game, they will be excellent.

So, there's that. If it was me answering my question about whether or not should I buy this game, and obviously knowing myself, I would scream "yes! god, yes!". And I would recommend it to any of you that is even barely interested in what they can see.

But to be honest, it looks like the amount of what can only be called autism invested in this game is astounding. I remember learning to play PoN (and I still don't know if I learned it that well), and this, as I said, looks even worse.

If you think you may like it, I can only tell you that playing the tutorial should take you about half and hour, way below the two hour limit for refunds, and that you will not learn to play the game in that half an hour, but you will get a crystal clear image of what the game is about. And with that, you can then decide if you'd rather try to play this monster or rather shoot it and bury it's bloated, beautiful body in the backyard.

I just know that I'm loving it. :bounce:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The battles look kind of like Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory / Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle. Looks pretty nice.

Kuattro

Augur
I've played a couple of battles and yes, either that or the Take Command series are probably closer (they all play quite the same anyway). There's options for delayed orders, so that it takes time for your units to start moving, and for "irrational" movement, which means that your inexperienced officers might charge the enemy or retreat without orders.

The only thing I've found odd is the deployment. If you attack an enemy division from the north with two of yours, the enemy will have only a corner to deploy while your two divisions will start almost overlapping and very close to the enemy. Which in this case meant that the prussians could forget about trying to flank me or anything, there was just no room for any fancy manoeuvering, just a straight up firefight. As I said, I've only played a couple of battles, maybe not all of them will be that odd.

And in all my excitement, I forgot about the best part of the game: Native americans. You can send them nice, warm blankets for the winter so that they will all die of the pox, in which case they will hate you and all other europeans; or you can send them booze, and they will like you but be less effective in combat, and then you can get them raiding the enemy supply line.

Pity that the game only covers the Seven Years war though. It could very easily have started with the Great Northern War, then the Spanish Succession, the Polish Succession, the war between Britain and Spain in the colonies, the ones between Russia and the turks, and then the Austrian Succession. It's not like the XVIII century is short on wars. Of course that would entail a lot of work, (a larger map, for starters) and it's only one developer. Oh well.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Nice find. Looks to me like it might need more work and the developer indeed has a pretty big roadmap full of both game fixes and things to add to the game.

Also tons of DLC planned.
- polishing battle goals [DLC]
- polished brigade and division symbols in battles showing name of unit [DLC]
- optional regimental commander initiative (micro management [DLC]
- custom battle functionality [DLC]
- additional historical battles [DLC]
- weather and temperature in battles [DLC]
- topographic labels [DLC]
There are also some mentions of possibly adding naval battles too.

I'll check it again in a year or two and see if it ended up living to its full potential in the end.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then this game is amazing. I've been looking for this kind of combat ever since I played the mentioned two games.

It's a really rare thing that someone decides to feature native americans ina non-politically correct manner. Does the game also represent slavery?

oscar

Arcane
Bought this because it looks like a true labour of love and very cool premise (TW-esque battles with much more in-depth economics, diplomacy and supply). Will post impressions when I get a chance to sink my teeth into this.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Okay, this one totally eluded me. Seems like it has an amazing number of features. Already saw it does not escape the usual negative of it looking like shit in terms of graphical fidelity and art. Does it however escape the other usual negatives of bad UI, crap AI and tons of bugs? Because if it does then this seems like a dream game come true... I mean, Ageod meets Total War? Yes, please.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I bought it for 4.5Eur during a sale that ended on the 14th. I've played through the tutorial, read the manual. I haven't tried playing a campaign just yet.

Since recently, I'm playing on a 4k 27" display, so I'm playing the game at 1080p on that display, and it looks really bad. I've checked out the game's folder under steam and everything seems editable. I've written to this Austrian fellow who made the game to ask him for some directions or documentation. I want to add some higher resolution sprites and textures.

BTW, I think he has stopped working on this game and DLCs by now and is now working on another 18-19 c. centered strategy game, together with some other guy.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The base game is currently 80% off, costs just 4 EUR. The two DLCs however are not discounted and the two of them cost a total of 9 EUR. I'm waiting for a discount on the DLCs which should come around the end of November. But if you were wondering about buying the game, now is the time.

Modding is easy but it's going to be difficult to create anything noticeably better in terms of graphics. The game was written with DirectX 7.1 and most of the textures are with very low resolution, and the game won't support increasing their size. It doesn't support resolutions above 1920x1080, and I'm playing it on a 4k display.

I'm still toying around little by little though. I've changed the color of the two seawater textures so the sea isn't so dark any more. I tried editing the interface textures as well, but I don't think it can be made to look more crisp. Also, he (Oliver) seems to use the same tiled texture for the border of most of the interfaces. The interface layout scales, and when the interface windows become bigger, the texture is simply tiled more times, to cover the longer window border. That's different than how EUIV for example is skinned.

The game is still great though, the economics are really in-depth, and you can never develop your country so as to be a leader in the production of everything, or research everything. You constantly have to prioritize. Even becoming too good in one industry and producing too much isn't good because you will drive prices down and hence your income will suffer. Dumping strategies are possible where you watch what the enemy is producing much of and you outproduce him in order to drive world prices down and hurt his income. Which will also come at a cost for you of course, for building all the facilities. Armies have to stay in an area of supply or they will slowly start running out of supplies. Pretty much every step you take requires weighing risks. I just don't have that much time to play it for now. A couple of hours of CKII per day (where I already know the rules) is all I have time for.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
3, 99 euros. Irresistible.

Oh, wait, Battle Pack is essential and Pomeranian War is just amazing (for killing swedes! YES!)

11, 67 uh uh

AwesomeButton

Patron
I bought it without the dlcs, just to see if I'll like it, and at 50% off, I think. When I start getting better and the DLCs are discounted, I'll get them too. Right now I barely jnow how to play.

AwesomeButton

Patron
NO freaking screen shot even now? What's wrong with this game and its players?
Here are a couple of screenshots of the winter map:

0uIJNrt.jpg

Xm3h6A7.jpg

I've replaced the resource icons for wheat, coal, iron ore and saltpetre (right of the iron ore). I've zoomed in on the second pic so you can see how coal and iron ore look. It's much more crisp even when zoomed in, and even though the icon size is 64x64px. The water is also brighter than vanilla. The interface textures are going to be difficult to improve to a satisfactory degree though.

Keep in mind that these images are 1920x1080. On my screen these frames are x2 enlarged when I play.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The results of a week of modding after work. New UI textures and resource icons. Resources now look like something I'd actually like to own.

uUMk4fF.png

a8xnk81.png

AwesomeButton

Patron
Before beginning experimenting with campaign map terrain textures I sat down to see if I can improve the minimap, and before I know it, I spent like three hours on it:

k1MNfdn.jpg

sPduUnW.jpg

Sadly, the colored borders around provinces and states are hardcoded. I wish I could turn them off, at least between states and around coasts.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I will upload it, but I want to make it just a bit more complete first, because I know the risk of getting lazy after pushing a first version and then never coming to producing a next one.

I want to update the campaign UI buttons, the kings' (monarchs/prime ministers) portraits, game loading screens and campaign map terrain textures, which should be the only tricky part, because I'll also see if I can use a higher resoluition texture instead of just swapping the image for the texture with the same size. I want to try 1024x1025 instead of 512x512. If I can change the terrain and sea textures with something better, these are the things, together with the UI, that the player watches most of the time during playing, and it will really start to look "modded" to a good degree.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Speaking of which I should upload my little UI textures mod. I won't have the time to come up with a better snowed version of the big map any time soon.

I just watched the gameplay video on the steam page, the game looks amazing, and if the AI is as good as advertised, it will be very impressive. Too bad it's only on Steam. Wishlisted.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
That was irony.

Looking at the screens I wonder if tooltips could not be dithered or Gaussian blurred too.

Which is actually a piece of advice I have. If the entire artwork in this game is created by taking photographs and then experiment with photoshop artistic filters until they look hand made, then it would be much cheaper to apply the filters at the very end, to the whole image. Maybe the game could even run as a Photoshop plugin, that would make even more sense.

Keep filtering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom