Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Shadow Sun by Ossian Studios (iOS/Android)

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Well, according to Alan Miranda of Ossian studios.....
On the surface, it wouldn’t seem that PC-only players could get excited about an iPhone game in the short term. However, consider what the long-term implications are if TSS iPhone sells well, and you will see that it directly improves the viability of Ossian doing a kick-ass PC game in the future. Great 3D PC RPG games can take years to make, and as an indie studio now (i.e., developing games without a publisher), it’s much wiser to start with a smaller project rather than leap into creating the next massive Baldur’s Gate II epic. Also, know that the development processes and systems we’re building are transferable to the PC because of the engine we’re using.

Tytus

Arcane
On the surface, it wouldn’t seem that PC-only players could get excited about an iPhone game in the short term. However, consider what the long-term implications are if TSS iPhone sells well, and you will see that it directly improves the viability of Ossian doing a kick-ass PC game in the future. Great 3D PC RPG games can take years to make, and as an indie studio now (i.e., developing games without a publisher), it’s much wiser to start with a smaller project rather than leap into creating the next massive Baldur’s Gate II epic. Also, know that the development processes and systems we’re building are transferable to the PC because of the engine we’re using.

Buy our shitty Iphone game, and maybe just maybe we will a PC crpg.

M0RBUS

Augur

Does that kind of marketing ever work? Seriously, if we buy iPhone games, more iPhone games will be made... Not PC games, not RPGs, iPhone games.

Or iOS or whatever.

Tytus

Arcane

Does that kind of marketing ever work? Seriously, if we buy iPhone games, more iPhone games will be made... Not PC games, not RPGs, iPhone games.

Or iOS or whatever.

Ubisoft is using this kind of marketing for years now. Buy Rayman Origins and maybe we will do, Beyond Good and Evil 2. Buy Rayman Origins' sequel and maybe we will considere making Beyond Good and Evil 2. Buy Beyond Good and Evil HD and maybe we will greenlight Beyond Good and Evil, for real this time.
And does it work? Dunno, I didn't buy Rayman Origins.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

Or iOS or whatever.

Ubisoft is using this kind of marketing for years now. Buy Rayman Origins and maybe we will do, Beyond Good and Evil 2. Buy Rayman Origins' sequel and maybe we will considere making Beyond Good and Evil 2. Buy Beyond Good and Evil HD and maybe we will greenlight Beyond Good and Evil, for real this time.
You should buy Rayman Origins though.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favourite: Buy FOBOS1 and it will finance Van Buren... oh wait, it won't, we'll make FOBOS2 instead, oh yes.

Tytus

Arcane
My favourite: Buy FOBOS1 and it will finance Van Buren... oh wait, it won't, we'll make FOBOS2 instead, oh yes.

Didn't EA said somewhere that Mirror's Edge 2 was on the "crossroads" or something and that will be using Frosbite engine, but only when Battlefield 3 sells well? I may be remembering wrong, but I think I saw something like that.

Or iOS or whatever.

You should buy Rayman Origins though.

I never liked Rayman games. Is Origins any good?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Welp: http://ossianstudios.com/

The Shadow Sun Returns!
Friday, 31 May 2013 05:46
After quite a long while, we are now in the final stretch of development ofThe Shadow Sun, with the different strands of the project all neatly tying together. It’s been a long journey to make our dream iOS RPG, and we’d like to show you how far we’ve come since our first announcement. So have a look at our TSS page for new screenshots and additional info, and let us know what you think on our TSS forum!

http://ossianstudios.com/tss

banner_tss.png

Enter a world that has felt an alien touch upon its sun. An ever-increasing shadow that creeps across the sun’s brilliant face, with consequences that are only now becoming horrifically apparent. The city of Shar, once capital of a mighty empire that covered the continent, still remains the most powerful of the city-states of the ancient South. With its huge defensive stone walls that have withstood attacks for over a thousand years, its lofty towers and elaborately-constructed domes capped in gold, and massive ziggurat temple at its center upon which godly sacrifices are performed, the metropolis stands as an oasis amidst the hot desert of the Singing Sands. Yet all is not well in the Golden City, for a plague has come to Shar. A plague so deadly the Sharians name it Aya’s Wrath - a curse from their god.

The Shadow Sun is a dark, heroic fantasy RPG that combines the classic adventure of Dungeons & Dragons, the fear of otherworldly horrors of H.P. Lovecraft, and the grim sword and sorcery of Conan the Barbarian. Rendered in full 3D graphics using the Unity engine, the game offers a deep, single-player role-playing experience with a gripping story, important player choices, dynamic NPC dialogues, and multiple ways of solving quests. Do battle against the strange creatures native to Shar and unspeakable horrors not of this world in real-time, visceral combat like The Witcher 2, using a dozen different weapon types, special melee attacks, powerful magical spells, and deadly traps.

Designed and developed by Ossian Studios as an original game for the mobile platform, The Shadow Sun brings together everything the team has learned from working on the triple-A RPG franchises of Neverwinter Nights and The Witcher, with the ultimate goal of creating a top-quality PC/console RPG experience on iOS.

Features :
  • A premium, full 3D Western RPG with a story filled with complex characters, intrigue, danger, and shocking surprises.
  • A 10-15 hour adventure where you delve into the decadent imperial city of Shar and the exotic desert lands around it, as the Golden City languishes in the grip of a plague and simmers in defiance against the kingdoms of the North.
  • Gorgeous graphics using the Unity engine, including normal/specular mapping and dynamic lighting on the characters, as well as anti-aliasing and bloom.
  • Create your own male or female character and customize them with different appearances and over a dozen types of armour.
  • Choose from among 30 skills to suit your play style and grow those abilities exactly how you want as the game progresses.
  • Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality, abilities, and romance options, and gain their approval or disapproval on your actions.
  • A useful journal and detailed codex help you keep track of quests and the people, places, and things you encounter.
  • Explore over 70 finely crafted areas and uncover 200+ unique items, hidden secrets, and ancient treasures.
  • A striking and compelling orchestral music score by long-time Ossian composer, David John.
  • Includes Apple Game Center support.
  • A universal app for iPhone (3GS and up), iPod touch (3rd gen and up), and iPad (1st gen and up), with Retina display support. Graphics will scale with device.
Coming Summer 2013

Jaesun, since this is a mobile-exclusive game, please move to popamole forum.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Gorgeous graphics using the Unity engine, including normal/specular mapping and dynamic lighting on the characters, as well as anti-aliasing and bloom.
Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality, abilities, and romance options, and gain their approval or disapproval on your actions.
Aha hah hah hah hah.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fuck Ossian studios, they are neither wanted nor needed. There are plenty of RPGs to look forward to. They should merge with Herve's Interplay. "Buy Fallout: Piece of Shit so we can one day develop proper Fallout for PC" tactics hasn't worked then and does not work now.

Arkeus

Arcane
Well, TBH having more complete RPGs for mobile is a GOOD thing, whether those are 'popamoles' or not.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Years and years of work, and all I've learned now is that Ossian Studios need to hire someone to proofread their press releases.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, TBH having more complete RPGs for mobile is a GOOD thing, whether those are 'popamoles' or not.
Why is it a good thing?
Because like it or not, mobiles are also a platform for games. And people play on them. But they need more complex RPGs. I'd kill for a working port of Might and Magic on Android (yes I know you can run dosbox, but the controls are not tailored for the touchscreen).

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
As platforms for games mobile phones are just like consoles - they are an inferior platform which syphons away the resources from the PC gaming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ossian may actually be doing the smart thing here - the PC RPG market is about to become rather crowded, and the success of inXile's Bard's Tale on mobile shows there's a hunger for popamole RPGs on that platform.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As platforms for games mobile phones are just like consoles - they are an inferior platform which syphons away the resources from the PC gaming.
Because before the rise mobile gaming we had like tons of turn based strategy games and board games adaptations for PC...

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Because before the rise mobile gaming we had like tons of turn based strategy games and board games adaptations for PC...

We had an adequate selection of turn based strategy and tactical games before the infestation of consolitis became a pandemic. Now that consoles are failing, mobile platforms will replace them as the major contributing factor to decline.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It looks as bland as NWN2.

Funny how they're using the DA:O style health/mana bar since even Bioware eventually figured out that it's bad when it comes to readability. Obsidian did too, while making DSIII.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The camera perspective looks really off. Reminds me of NWN2's chase camera, which was angled way too low to the ground and exposed how flat the surrounding environments really were.

At least it looks like they're going for a much more colourful art style than "medieval brown", so that's nice I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom