Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Sims 4

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Because when I go home after a day of work, I really cannot wait to watch people virtually work.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Since I am kinda bored let me tell you something as I am at it ... TS1 and TS2 were great success, TS3 was not ... EA had plans for the Store in TS3 but eventually dropped out, TS4 doesnt have one and I dont think Premium member would work with TS4, not considering most TS3 paysites either "died" (meaning, they moved to Second Life) or dropped subscription model and TS4 doesnt seem to even enjoy the initial success of TS3.

Sims 3 not a success are you kidding? You'd surprise the hell outta me if you told me most of that content wasn't generated by unpaid interns, and then they still sold a map for $20. Yeah boohoo if you don't sell a million copies of DLC x but when the thing only cost you whatever amount of effort 3 losers who just graduated from college can come up with you're profitable pretty much from the get go.

But also I don't see why the esteemed codex would take a thinly-veiled anti-welfare addition to the sims franchise as a bad thing :patriot:

Last edited:

A user named cat

Never understood how anyone could stand the actual "game" part of this series, talk about mundane. However I always enjoyed building mansions in these games so it's hard to completely shit on them. While not as deep as it could be, they always struck a good middle ground between accessibility and creativite flexibility. At least once more decorations are added.

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, they are certainly going for the Pixar look ...
Also last patch fucked up CAS categories if you had CC as things started to show everywhere without regards to tags or gender, male ended up with bra category ... the usual idiocy we can expect from EA.

Astral Rag

Arcane
EA Know When You WooHoo
By Philippa Warr on September 3rd, 2015 at 4:44 pm

john-riccitiello-closeup.png

A year after launch, we’ve found out that EA have been monitoring your sex life in The Sims 4 like a bunch of creepy digital voyeurs in order to create a first birthday infographic. To that end, they have announced that characters in the game have done the flesh fandango 235,000,000 times.
I’ll tell you a bit more about the data in a moment but first: birthday infographics.
john-riccitiello-elecdophh.jpg

My parents never made an infographic for my first birthday. It could have been perfect for a newsletter or official blog (which I also didn’t have). It could have featured favourite words, steps taken, maximum tantrum decibels, time spent stroking the cat, time spent being comforted after stroking the cat went wrong…
207998-headerfrrm0.jpg

I feel like this is a black mark against their parenting. What is life if not points of data organised for other people’s delight? My parents cared nothing for my #brand. They’ve also never celebrated my workiversary on LinkedIn. My father has, however, endorsed me for the skills of “Journalism”, “Pop Culture” and “Rodeo” so I suppose they are trying.
ddjohn_riccitiellomjo14.jpg

Speaking of work, apparently the most popular career for a Sim is “Other” and is expressed as a briefcase with a Simolean symbol next to it. I would like to be employed in the field of “Other” if it means briefcases full of cash, although I guess cases of money didn’t end well in Shallow Grave so maybe I should be careful what I wish for.
2456945-riccitiello_e5dosf.jpg

Only 9% of Sims chose the writer career, by the way, and being a writer is definitely not expressed in terms of suitcases of money. Instead there is a pen and paper. I have a pen and paper so this all checks out.
john_riccitiello_unitx1qxx.jpg

Not included on the infographic was “number of comments from players asking for toddlers be added into the game” or “number of pools in the game now that you can actually get pools in the game”. I bring these two things up because I remember them being the Big Controversies at launch.
ddjohn-riccitiellouyrb1.jpg

Since that period of confusion and explanation and pool provision there have been further points of investigation, like needing to find out the difference between a Stuff Pack and a Game Pack and an Expansion, which have dampened my willingness to invest in the game or contribute to its WooHoo stat. Adam has also just told me (imagine I am a newsreader and he is pouring facts into my earpiece) that all the released and announced official DLC will set you back £186. Regarding this fact I refer you to my earlier remarks about writer careers and cases of money.
9792-riccitiello9hs2c.jpg

And thus I meander towards a final question:
Did any of you make the switch to The Sims 4 and, if you did, are you still playing?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I would love to play Sims 4 : Middle East expansion pack.
Excited would get whole new meaning.
Dude stole your things ? Kill your sister !

baturinsky

Arcane
I have just realised that my current Sims 4 play has turned to be very similar plot-wise to Fallout 4, especially if you follow Institute route. Fo4 spoilers ahead.

I'm a head of Institute now. I.e. XO in the town science lab. I'm still ordered around to do menial tasks, though. But I can order around all other employees too.

I have a synth alien son that I was straddled with without my consent. Aliens are local equivalent of synths, but cooler, because they can alter disguise at will. Unlike synth, they have some telepathic abilities. And they try to infiltrate into institute, instead of vice versa.
Aliens can't impersonate someone else, though, so they play long game by abducting locals and impregnating them. And they don't care about parent's gender. That's how I ended with Shaun Demian.

I have a synth alien girlfriend, that I took part in creating myself. Instead of mind copying equipment Dr. Amari used in Fo4, I have used a cloning device that copied a body along with the mind. Also, Margo (the copy) is psychologically complete opposite to Curie - slutty and evil. Not sure if evil part was taken from prototype, or from cloning process. To find out it, I'm currently trying to track down the prototype to look at her traits. Prototype was the one of the aliens infiltrating the lab. I have tested cloning device on her because I deemed her disposable and I did not know that copy will end up a part of my household.

Instead of thirty Settlements to look after I have three clubs.

Like in FO4, first gun I have found is a Freeze gun. It is also the last one. Like FO4 guns, it can be upgraded. But instead of more killing it does mostly mind control stuff, like FO4's syringer.

And I have built a teleporter that can take me to synth alien homeworld, but have not used it yet.

Caim

Arcane
Voice was too annoying to watch that video for longer than 20 seconds. How easy is it to kill other Sims now without starving them or exploiting build mode?

baturinsky

Arcane
Voice was too annoying to watch that video for longer than 20 seconds. How easy is it to kill other Sims now without starving them or exploiting build mode?
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/death/

Most interesting is death by extreme Anger, Embarassment and Playfulness(humor-induced thing) emotions. You need to pile several emotion sources to have +7 total for any of former or +15 for the latter. Not sure if this can be weaponised.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/death/

Most interesting is death by extreme Anger, Embarassment and Playfulness(humor-induced thing) emotions. You need to pile several emotion sources to have +7 total for any of former or +15 for the latter. Not sure if this can be weaponised.
Once a Sim is at the Enraged stage of Angry (Angry, Very Angry, Enraged), they may die of a Cardiac Explosion.

That's fucking metal.

baturinsky

Arcane
Trying Medic career from Get To Work. I have got through first work day doing only tasks like "Drink coffee", "Talk with colleagues" and "Complain about work". Meanwhile five patients were waiting in queue. Pay is shitty, though.

Drakron

Arcane
This seems like an incredibly basic thing to leave out.

A lot was left on the cutting floor, people still bitch about toddlers but they also cut the Robber and naturally the Cop as well many thing, heck the Handyman was just added a few months ago.

They build TS4 out of a failed MMO and it shows, a year later and the game is still lacking functions of previous games, I would say TS2 was the peak of The Sims as TS3 had a nice package but overall started the problems of the series, TS4 main redeeming feature is the developers have no fucking idea to what to do so they are catching up to the older games, maybe in 2017 it will be almost as good as TS3 at launch.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope they bring back the open world for Sims 5, with more intelligent engineering so it doesn't bog down all the time.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
At the rate they're going, at launch TS5 will lack careers, skills, and the ability to rotate furniture. Gotta save something for the expansions, after all.

baturinsky

Arcane
On the plus side, Sim 4 has no seams between worlds. You can go from a lot in Magnolia Promenade to a lot in Willow Creek with the same few-seconds-long loading screen.

Sim 4 equivalent of the open world is a neighbourhood - area with a handful of lots, of which only one can be loaded at a time. Which allows exploring the world for bugs, gems, fishing spots, etc. Gameplay wise, only difference from TS3 (other than annoyance of waiting through loading screen) is inability of fully controlling a family spread between several lots.

Norfleet

That, and I imagine that without the ability to control them, your time on another lot had best be very short unless you want to find the rest of the family lying dead in pools of their own piss when you get back.

baturinsky

Arcane
That, and I imagine that without the ability to control them, your time on another lot had best be very short unless you want to find the rest of the family lying dead in pools of their own piss when you get back.

What game are you talking about?

In Sims 3 and 4, and in previous ones too, if I remember right, Sims were smart enough to care about their basic needs when in loaded lots. They won't do much useful without your input, though, so when I have sims spread I usually make some of them do lengthy things that don't need my attention, like sleeping or reading skill books.

In Sims 4 sims that are in non-loaded lots act similar to sims at work or school in previous instalments - you can give them general directives (care about your needs, work on X skill, communicate with Y) and that will be modelled in similarly general fashion.

Norfleet

In Sims 3 and 4, and in previous ones too, if I remember right, Sims were smart enough to care about their basic needs when in loaded lots.
Haha, no, no they weren't. I know this because I personally wrote an AI overlay to make them NOT BAD AT IT. Without it, they were TERRIBLE. I tested this often with the standard AI, I'd set their motives up and then test them to see if they made the correct decision. They never did. I did hundreds of tests, they failed every one of them. That's what made me write the improved AI, which...actually worked.

Unless you were using my thing, you may have noticed how awful they were at it...unless you're so bad at it yourself that you didn't notice, in which case you would have if you had been using my thing and noticed how much more EFFICIENT they were.

baturinsky

Arcane
In Sims 3 and 4, and in previous ones too, if I remember right, Sims were smart enough to care about their basic needs when in loaded lots.
Haha, no, no they weren't. I know this because I personally wrote an AI overlay to make them NOT BAD AT IT. Without it, they were TERRIBLE. I tested this often with the standard AI, I'd set their motives up and then test them to see if they made the correct decision. They never did. I did hundreds of tests, they failed every one of them. That's what made me write the improved AI, which...actually worked.

Unless you were using my thing, you may have noticed how awful they were at it...unless you're so bad at it yourself that you didn't notice, in which case you would have if you had been using my thing and noticed how much more EFFICIENT they were.

Interesting, can you link me to your mod?

It has been a while since I played Sims 3, so I may be mistaken. AFAIK, sims were looking for an item that can fill their pressing need. If necessary, they could prepare food. And if they were off home lot, they returned.
I don't remember if they did fix broken things.

So, if they have basic necessities in home they could survive by themselves, at least for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom