Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Stanley Parable - Free Source Mod (Now a Full Game)

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ugh, this is what we will have to deal with. People who don't care about choice and so they equate freedom to just larping.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
The demo actually harms the game, it turns what was a fun and thought-provoking mod into a "2deep4you" game, with appropriately retarded audience to couple with. Seriously, just read that thread on Steam, half the people there didn't even play the original mod yet claim they love it, and there's even this:

Arctura said:
I had never heard of this game before and downloaded the demo mostly based on the exploration description and the screenshots. Most of the demo was a long wtf for me, and although I guess I will buy it eventually it's more because of the Eurogamer approval than the demo. Probably more despite the demo than because of it.

These people deserve the shitty gaming industry they have.

It was always a "2deep4you"-game. The game is as shallow an exploration of freedom in games as Bioshock was, and that's a game where the villain uses Randian snail-magic to make the player beat him to death with a golf club!

Caim

Arcane
Soooo... The consensus is I should just play the original mod instead of spending €10 on the new one?
Yeah. The original's good and the demo's clever, but this is more or less a remake. Most paths are more or less the same but the ones where you rebel against the narrator feel like they should have been quite a bit shorter. Especially the "confusion" path takes WAY too long.

If you loved the original and the demo and want MOAR right now then yes, you should buy it. If you haven't played the original then you should try that, if you liked it then try the demo then decide if you want this one. If you're okay with it then wait for a sale.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And somehow it's the top seller on Steam right now... note that's not in units that's in gross revenue. Amazing how much hype can carry a 'game.' People spam that meaningless 8888888888 meme like 'dis cake is a lie, lulz' and everyone who's anyone has to own it!

Keshik

Arcane
Reading comments on it is amusing, seems they are all in the "it's a story, it's not a story, it's great, play it" vein.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just played two hours of that. It's a game that makes a point, but once the point is made, there is absolutely nothing to it except "jokes" and "secret endings". Okay for 2 euros. At 10, I paid way too much for this.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't wait to play it, even though once you "get it" the joke is sorta over. I've finished the original in an hour, saw all the endings, had a blast. I don't know if you could recreate this experience well after the novelty wears off.

Still, it's funny, visually interesting, and I'm a storyfag. I'm going to have fun just listening to the narrator.

J1M

Arcane
Just finished playing the mod. Maybe I didn't get it. Maybe the first half of Bioshock 1 did it better.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Also thought of Bioshock while playing it. It is the exact same theme, except Bioshock does it actually smarter since it's inside "a real game" and that the Ryan speech is not as much "in your face" than Stanley Parable's narrator.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Just played for about an hour. I think it has some interesting thoughts but sometimes it's also a bit shallow. The "2deep4ness" is not something I see. It's just a bunch of very common philosophical thoughts. At least that's what I got from it until now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The 2deep4u criticism is never leveled at the content of the game, merely the pretentiousness of making a game that's not a game.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
The 2deep4u criticism is never leveled at the content of the game, merely the pretentiousness of making a game that's not a game.

I don't take part in that discussion. Game or not a game. What the hell, how does this matter? You enjoy it, maybe, and that's what counts. It is what it is. Well, I loved Dear Esther, so...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Boy does hype bring money. What's even worse is that 30 Flights of Loving made money and it's even more of a rip-off. Still, I really need to get a SDK, create a few hallways, add a few bouncing balls, make some metaphorical text appear and include a few cynical jokes about the industry. This sounds like a much safer deal than playing the lottery every week.

Or writing books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom