Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Stanley Parable - Free Source Mod (Now a Full Game)

Dexter

Arcane
Here we go again...: http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/23/5...pdate-in-the-works-to-remove-offensive-images
Developer Galactic Cafe will release an update to adventure game The Stanley Parable in order to alter a pair of images some players found offensive — specifically, images of a character in an instructional video setting a young child on fire.

In one section of the game, players can watch an instructional video on "Choice," which consists of a slideshow and narration. Players are shown a character named Steven who is presented with two choices: "He could spend years helping improve the life of citizens of impoverished third-world nations," the game explains, a choice represented by Steven lighting a cigarette for a young boy wearing tattered shorts, "or he could systematically set fire to every orphan living in a 30 kilometer radius of his house," at which point Steven is shown setting the same child, now soaked in gasoline, on fire.

Oliver Campbell, an author of fiction and editorial, said he was presented with the Choice instructional video during one of his "off the beaten path" playthroughs of The Stanley Parable and found it racist. He then reached out to The Stanley Parable creator Davey Wreden to voice his concerns.

Wreden says he plans to update the game to change the sequence, hopefully in the coming weeks.

the_stanley_parable_images.jpg

"I received two separate complaints today from people who found that the images made them significantly uncomfortable," Wreden said in an email to Polygon, "and in one case made a teacher feel unable to share the game with her young students.

"It's actually really tough to respond to complaints about someone being offended, but I think I would be able to change the actual images without having to go to too much trouble (though the dialogue in that section would be very difficult to change)."

In a separate email, Campbell told Polygon his exchange with Wreden was "actually pretty pleasant."

"It took a bit of explanation," Campbell said, "but he did understand the nature of my complaint, and I offered ways of fixing this without destroying the joke or a prohibitively expensive additional amount of work. He explained that he didn't quite understand, but was more than willing to listen, and that it's very hard for a creative to figure out which player requests to pay attention to."

Wreden said the complaints caught him off guard. "Obviously these things are always 20/20 hindsight," he said, "but at the time it seemed too cartoony to identify as problematic."

"I'm not exactly married to the visual gag there," Wreden said. "It doesn't make or break anything about that particular section, and we always wanted the game to be something that could be played by anyone of any age. If a person would feel less comfortable showing the game to their children then I've got no problem helping fix that! It's really as simple as that."

"I don't think that Davey Wreden is a bad person at all, or that he ever intended what he put in there to come off as racist," Campbell said. "Sometimes we just accidentally do stuff like that without thinking far enough ahead to see what the potential results are. I think the important thing here is that Davey was open, receptive, completely not hostile about what I perceived to be in very poor taste, and we came to a very satisfactory compromise."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Making the kid black in this case was pretty stupid. There's PC and then there's... use a little brainpower.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Campbell guy posted on the comments:

I have no problem answering honest questions. My problem was multi-fold:

1. The images did not match up with what was being said in the dialogue.
2. The joke says that he is “helping” them (convincing a child to get hooked on cigarettes, which cause cancer), or burning down orphanages (instead, it shows him lighting one black child on fire).

When I spoke to Davey, I expressed that these things don’t match up and that the kind of message it gets across is “either help minorities by killing them with cancer, or light them on fire.” The joke itself is actually very funny, but the execution of this joke is where it ran ashore.

So we discussed back and forth and obviously redoing dialogue would be cost and time prohibitive. Ultimately I suggested the following:

1. Change the first image to reflect Steven ACTUALLY helping the minority (with say food or water, and this is a minimal edit to the existing image).
2. Change the second image to reflect what was actually said in the dialogue, and show Steven heading towards an orphanage with the gas can and lighter, but not actually showing it getting burned down.

We agreed that this wouldn’t be nearly as difficult and he was really cool about it.

The Stanley Parable is without a doubt a brilliant game, and like I said up above, I don’t think that he intended it to be problematic this way. I’ve no problem with the guy. But as a fiction author who ALSO has to deal with context, appropriateness, and the way your work is perceived, I found that it was my responsibility to speak up about it.

That’s pretty much it.
tl;dr: I'm just a nobody trying to tell people how to do their work, but since I used "ITZ OFFENSIVE" as argument, I got a free pass.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
He's apparently taking requests for other things to remove from his game now, people should mail him with their least favorite part of the game and tell him that it was "offensive" or "problematic" and see how far he takes it...
dYX63qA.png

pSuTIbp.png

Last edited:
Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
I don't like joke X in game Y but I will keep playing it. The game should change to suit my needs, I won't stop playing it.

Renegen

Arcane
I had a blast reading this thread, it did nothing but confuse me.

Name

Cipher
Too pricey. Is that also a meta joke? Selling it with high price intentionally? If that's the case, I've falled for it.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
get a bit controversy, sell a couple of 10K more copies.

it's all about the $$$$

Caim

Arcane
He's apparently taking requests for other things to remove from his game now, people should mail him with their least favorite part of the game and tell him that it was "offensive" or "problematic" and see how far he takes it...
dYX63qA.png

pSuTIbp.png
Wasn't the sexual predator thing only in the demo?

And where was this setting black kids on fire thing, I missed that one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No. Penalty for being stupid enough to buy this in the first place.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, if the kid was white it would have been:

a) fine
b) funny
c) better

?
Because I see the fact that he's black mentioned every time, like it doesn't matter that it was a kid, just that it was black.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Because it's vaguely alludes to lynching and Emmet Till type shit. Not saying that was the guy's intent but seems be an obvious pitfall you'd want to avoid. Of course, the developer could be 20 years old and/or Euro thus totally ignorant of 1960's America

Caim

Arcane
Because it's vaguely alludes to lynching and Emmet Till type shit. Not saying that was the guy's intent but seems be an obvious pitfall you'd want to avoid. Of course, the developer could be 20 years old and/or Euro thus totally ignorant of 1960's America
Going from outright killing them for what they are to putting them all together in ghettos, us Euros have plenty of experience with what happens next. :smug:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played this game. Don't see it being worth buying for its current price, most paths are just taken from the free mod anyway.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
There are neckbeards who think games about games are masturbatory. They care too much and are trying too hard to be important. They are sometimes right, but only by accident.
This game was pretty smart and great. I was very happy with what I got.
I actually got the feeling that there are a ton of people who would not play the game properly and miss a ton of content because of assumptions they make about games. Turbo meta.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was fine as free source mod. That they trumped it up a bit and charged money for it is full of derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom