Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Ok, guys, I think I've made a terrible mistake purchasing Elite Dangerous. The interface is awful and the combat is just dogshit terrible clusterfuck hud and claustrophobic FOV. Nothing like First Frontiers I remember. Is the whole game like that?

pippin

Ok, guys, I think I've made a terrible mistake purchasing Elite Dangerous. The interface is awful and the combat is just dogshit terrible clusterfuck hud and claustrophobic FOV. Nothing like First Frontiers I remember. Is the whole game like that?

22545.jpg

Refund it if you don't like it. If you play more than the two hours you won't be able to refund it iirc.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I'm asking because I don't want to discard the game prematurely. The 2 hour deadline is retarded for most games. I'm playing tutorials, but every single one of them is just fucking awful. But the combat tutorial is what has fucked with me the most. Dogfighting in space with minimal FOV, not 3rd person camera view? I got a headache spinning like crazy just trying to retarget.

HUD is also awful and extremely illegible. Orange on black, flickering a little. Am I crazy or is it hard to accommodate to?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Anybody wanna play this? Message me on Steam (see sig).

I can't play right now but I'll add you on Steam and we can play when I'm free. If you are dogshit like me we can have some competitive duels.
Well I'm only slightly above casual in Quake, used to play the shit out of it back in the day (tfw it's been 15 years), but never got to be leet. But yeah, I know to shoot rockets at your feet and the walls behind you as you start fleeing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm asking because I don't want to discard the game prematurely. The 2 hour deadline is retarded for most games. I'm playing tutorials, but every single one of them is just fucking awful. But the combat tutorial is what has fucked with me the most. Dogfighting in space with minimal FOV, not 3rd person camera view? I got a headache spinning like crazy just trying to retarget.

HUD is also awful and extremely illegible. Orange on black, flickering a little. Am I crazy or is it hard to accommodate to?

If you're a boring autist that likes X series games, you might like it. If you value fun games, you won't. Which are you?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Sigh, I've requested a refund on Elite. I researched a little on actual forums and came to a conclusion that I was living a lie for the past year, feeding myself only with changelogs and vague feature spotlight videos. I was expecting Elite 2/First Encounters but with less content and new graphics, but fuck me... I didn't expect dogfighting in space and that God awful HUD, FOV, no legit 3rd person camera, time options made me nauseated in less than 20 minutes.

Elite 2/First Encounters were and are just so fucking rad, I replayed them a little more than a year ago. Time control and a bazzilion options you could control and manipulate with interface minimalized the required autism, but in here you're stuck in this God awful 1st person view and terrible HUD, in real time for ever and ever. My eyes literally hurt when I try to read anything on the screen in Elite Dangerous.

Just, fuck me, I am depressed. I will probably get that tasty Templar Battleforce and a few other games instead.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Project Snowblind is not bad, btw. For a buck or two it a better purchase than Desu Sex: The Fail.

You can get this from Kinguin with the Square Enix Bronze Pack https://www.kinguin.net/category/36042/square-enix-bronze-pack-steam-cd-key/

Has the game and others: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, Project: Snowblind, Scarygirl, Thief 2: The Metal Age, Urban Chaos, Order of War, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men and Pandemonium.

I actually bought that key(it's an all or nothing key) to get the Steam version of Thief and Urban Chaos(which is a good game in itself), and got the other shit with it, so it's legit.

Also worth to check out the Silver and Gold keys....Have some decent stuff there as well: Silver: Battlestations: Midway, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Codename 47, Thief: The Dark Project Gold, Daikatana, Deathtrap Dungeo, Thief 3: Deadly Shadows and Startopia.

Gold: Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Tomb Raider: Legend, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2, Conflict: Denied Ops, Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Gyromancer and Quantum Conundrum.

I got them all as for a couple euros, even having some doubles was worth it.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Strange. I was playing Elite on a smooth 144 fps (v-sync on) and after locking them to 60 the game runs noticeably nicer - the controls aren't batshit over a top responsive and the combat seems more manageable. It's still awful, but I'm sharing this because I highly doubt that the game's speed/controls are connected with the framerate. Isn't this game always online?

Still getting that refund,though.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Whoever pushed through this new sale format should die in a fire, cause this is beyond useless. Almost 70 games on my wishlist and exactly one of them has -75% discount, which is also the highest I see. Pathetic.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
HOLY SHIT.

I bought a game. I knew it was bad. I had heard it was bad. I had seen videos of it being bad. I bought it anyway during the sale because I wanted to experience this for myself. It can't be that bad, I played Thiaf, goddamnit!

After 2 hours of installing I spent 40 minutes playing it.

Mommy, where's the brain bleach?

I have never been more grateful for the Steam Refund feature than now.

Thiaf is a well-produced game compared to this.

Thiaf doesn't have missing animations.
Thiaf doesn't have massive clipping issues during the QTEs.
Thiaf doesn't have graphical glitches that let you see into infinity if you stand in one spot and look in one particular direction.
Thiaf doesn't have ragdoll physics so horrible that a dead monster on one side of a wall somehow creeps through it to land on the floor beyond it with a "plop".
Thiaf doesn't let you hover aboard empty space simply because they couldn't be bothered to code the floorspace under the wide-open grating that you're standing on.
Thiaf doesn't have graphical icons so small that you can't read what key the game wants you to press while it's holding your hand through the in-game tutoral.
Thiaf took a pre-existing world/setting and ran off with it into a different direction, effectively rebooting the franchise (unsuccessfully). This game took a pre-existing world, tried to create a sequel to the film it's based on, and totally and utterly shat over everything, including itself. I found lockers belonging to well-known characters from the film positioned next to lockers from people that weren't in the film. Also, note the plural. Multiple lockers, spread across adjacent rooms.
Thiaf had a good sound engine, you could hear people move about around you. In this game people move about without ever making a sound. The monsters are louder than your companions, and they're supposed to be stealthy!
Thiaf is still not worth it, even if it shipped with a brewery and a brothel.
This game... is not worth it even if President Trump himself delivered you a new case of beer and a new whore, every day, for the rest of your life.

This is easily the Worst Game I've played in years, and a strong contender for Worst Game of All Time... after only 40 minutes of gameplay.

So what is this terrible game I was so stupid to spend money on?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found the game fun in co-op. But we bought the game for like 2 dollars. Besides the apparent bad stuff, one of the worst things in the game was how often you had to follow some idiot NPC. The game was really enjoyable in co-op when we were left alone, but that was not too often.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has anyone played Convoy - http://store.steampowered.com/app/318230/Convoy/

Is it worth $3.74? By way of background, I enjoy both monocled roguelikes and degenerate rogue-lites. Also I am a sucker for pretending I am Mad Max.
I did some reading about it a while back, and the monocled consensus seems to be that it falls considerably short of its inspirations, but it's not unplayable. $4, prob worth it. I may grab it myself in fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom