Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

I have never played any games like like this: (metal gear solid)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340

are they tactical or more arcade like? If not this one, is there a game that is first person that is slower and tactical, possibly with a squad? More 'realistic'? Also I don't care about the multiplayer, I a interested in single player campaigns, not skirmishes or co-op. I once watched my brother playing a game some years ago that looked fun; I think it was splinter cell, I have that type of game style in mind...

Which of these types of games people do people think is less arcade like and more strategic and tactical? Ideally with a campaign.....?

Another question, 'Men of war assault squaf 2"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244450/Men_of_War_Assault_Squad_2/

is it an action game like blitzkrieg or more like close combat or combat mission? opinions on it?

Thx...

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of games that I am probably never going to play, but the discounts were too attractive. E.g., Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations originally costs $80, and I bought it for $8 because of the discount and because I am paying in rubles. I've been planning to get into serious wargames for a while, yet Command turned out a bit too autistic for me at this stage, not to mention my PC cannot quite handle it.

Otherwise,
Arx Fatalis
AoWIII + add-ons
AoWII: Shadow Magic
Caves of Qud
Dominions 4
Hacknet
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
South Park: the Stick of Truth
Tropico 5 + add-ons
Uplink
Warhammer: Dawn of War + add-ons

I have been looking at command: modern air and naval operations as well, but I am not sure I will ever be able to devout enough time into it. As it is I already play War in the East, War in the pacific (admirals edition), and board war games in real life, along with currently trying to learn to play Silent hunter III with the amazing mods created for it, so adding another highly detailed game to the mix just seems too much, I can't play them all

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gonna Get Dork Souls 3 and some japshit visual novels and Dodonpachi Resurrection.

Any other recommendations?

Explorerbc

Arcane
Thanks! Bought it, though I've read it's a nightmare to get running without crashes on modern systems.
Advise anyone?

It ran fine on Win 7 when I played it.

Sometimes there is a game breaking bug later in the game that can be fixed with an unofficial patch which also unlocks the hidden ending for you. I also remember I edited something or used the dev mode to quicksave anywhere I wanted instead of the game's save spots (though you might consider this a cheat I guess)

You can always check that stuff in the pcgaming wiki

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My purchases so far:

A HOG game that was much cheaper in a bundle than standalone.
The new Jazzpunk DLC.
A Don't Starve DLC I was missing (that was also cheaper in a bundle than standalone).
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter... because it was cheap in a bundle. Unfortunately I also got Serious Sam 2, but for a buck I'm barely complaining.

I haven't even spent $10 on this sale, and I'm having a hard time finding titles even worth considering.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If there's still somebody who doesn't own it, I obviously recommend:

<iframe src="http://store.steampowered.com/widget/37000/" frameborder="0" width="646" height="190"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://store.steampowered.com/widget/384110/" frameborder="0" width="646" height="190"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://store.steampowered.com/widget/283310/" frameborder="0" width="646" height="190"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://store.steampowered.com/widget/413150/" frameborder="0" width="646" height="190"></iframe>

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hi, I'm DeepOcean and this is my first day of the "Bought on Steam and never played." support group.
Tell us your story DeepOcean.
I noticed some years ago that I couldn't resist buying games at Steam sales. When I see a 75% off, I just can't resist.
Yeah, we know your pain brother.
Things actually escalated, on some games, I had more fun buying them than playing them.
How many games do you have that you will probably ever play?
150 games.
You aren't alone...
I have 349 games
I have 450 games
I gave alot of money to Gaben, 1200 games so far.
We should all do a collective hug right now.

mastroego

Arcane
How good is Age of Wonders 3, really?
The complete package (with DLCs) is on sale at -50%. Still pricey and I'm fairly sure it ain't the modern MoM.
What's the Codex consensus?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Hi, I'm DeepOcean and this is my first day of the "Bought on Steam and never played." support group.
Tell us your story DeepOcean.
I noticed some years ago that I couldn't resist buying games at Steam sales. When I see a 75% off, I just can't resist.
Yeah, we know your pain brother.
Things actually escalated, on some games, I had more fun buying them than playing them.
How many games do you have that you will probably ever play?
150 games.
You aren't alone...
I have 349 games
I have 450 games
I gave alot of money to Gaben, 1200 games so far.
We should all do a collective hug right now.
I had 1200 or 1300 at some point but then I started deleting the bundle trash and I'm down to 755. Cleaning up my library was even more fun than buying all that shit D:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Okay, let's talk some more autism.

Steam has two types of bundles, /sub links and /bundle links. The former are fixed price no matter what, and the latter are automatically calculated depending on if you have any games included in the bundle or not.

Here's an example. Say you want to buy the Hitman Collection, it would actually be cheaper to first buy the Hitman Absolution: Elite Edition 'sub' bundle and only then purchase the collection bundle, since the fixed price of the 'sub' bundle is much lower than the automatically calculated price in the collection.

Yeah, sometimes it's more fun to buy games than play them.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I'm tempted to get Templar Battleforce
I'm interested in opinions on Templar Battleforce

You guys go ahead and get that game, it may not look like much on first glance but its one of the most fun tactical games I have ever played.

Its decent. The controls are kinda wonky. A lot of times I found myself moving when I don't mean to. Infinite spawn gets old. The background is a cringier PG version of 40k. Decent squad level tactics game underneath all of this though.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Rock, Paper, Shotgun have an interesting list, and I'm just laughing with this passage:

Torment: Tides of Numenera for £17.49/$22.49 – A sad man falls out of the sky and must read 2 million words to discover why
:hahyou:

Huh you are right some descriptions are actually funny and good

Grand Theft Auto V for £19.99/$29.99 – Three misfits try to modify their world for the better, but are impeded by overzealous men in suits
:hahyou:
TSiq8OW.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
anybody have an opinion on the 'alien breed' line of games?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22610/Alien_Breed_Impact/
I got Alien Breed 2 for free on one of the previous Steam sales, and it was so boring I couldn't even play it in co-op.
Alien Swarm (and the new version Reactive Drop) is free and it's better.
Also, check Alien Shooter.

As others have said, make sure to get the unofficial patch that fixes the bug at game end; otherwise you literally can't run fast enough to escape the monster!
I read there are many other problems on modern systems this patch simply won't fix.
You buy this game with an understanding that you will most likely experience problems, or you have a machine with Windows XP.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm going to buy the STALKER bundle. I hope it's good.
:bro: it's awesome
Well, it's downloading. I noticed it has mods out. I looked up the best mods, and I'm going with the Stalker 2009 mod. I've never played the game before, so I think something simple that updates the graphics and minimally improves gameplay sounds nice.

passerby

Arcane
By cleaning you guys mean hidden category, or what ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom