Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A quick skim of GOG reviews indicates that EE adds:

• shitty black borders
  • terrible UI
  • forced native resolution, whereas with fan-made resolution and UI mods, you can choose
  • autoloot
  • tutorial pop-ups (lmao)

In other words, their "enhancements" all made the games worse, although easier for morons to install and play.

Bocian

Arcane
PS:T EE has no new content whatsoever. You'd think any self-described Planescape: Torment superfan would want to own the game on Steam if he can get it for $4 but suit yourself.
Nice try, shill. I own the original game, it's sitting on my shelf. Steam can go fuck itself.

How can PST and ID be a good games while PST:EE, ID:EE are not? They are literally the same games with extremely minor changes. Like the only good things about PST was lack of black outliners around charcter and UI, while the rest (story, dialogues, characters) is trash?
Changes that no one asked for. As I said, I own both originals in a boxed version, I don't need any tweaks, changes, "improvements", anything that Beamdog even touched, and I refuse to give them any money. It's rather simple and I think a Codexer wouldn't have trouble with understanding what a principle is. It's similar to refusing to preorder anything.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not a shill, I'm just not a zealot. I refuse to buy any Beamdog remake for a price greater than $5. But I still want Planescape fucking Torment in my Steam library and there is no alternative.

Here's a possibly useful way of thinking about it.

Back in the day, new PC games in stores cost $50. I probably paid around that much (well, my parents did) for my original PS:T box.

Many years later, I bought the game at a 50% off discount on GOG. I believe that was $5.

Now, let's say I buy PST:EE on Steam at a 75% off discount, which is also $5. That means that in total, I will have spent $60 over my entire life on Planescape: Torment, which seems fair.

It ended up being 80% for $4, so even better.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
1e5761fc60.png

Bocian

Arcane
But I still want Planescape fucking Torment in my Steam library and there is no alternative.
The game will soon celebrate its 19th birthday, I could safely make a bet that everyone declaring themselves as fans has an original, boxed version - or the GOG version, sold for a while before it was replaced by EE, as you said yourself. Your desire to have EE in your steam library is beyond me - especially that you bought GOG version. Same as anyone's desire to fill their steam libraries with dozens, or even hundreds of games is beyond me.
I wouldn't call it zealotry, just following some principles, as I said. Those that don't deserve my money don't get it. In capitalism we vote with our money; we buy something, we endorse it.

PrettyDeadman

Changes that no one asked for. As I said, I own both originals in a boxed version, I don't need any tweaks, changes, "improvements, anything that Beamdog even touched, and I refuse to give them any money. It's rather simple and I think a Codexer wouldn't have trouble with understanding what a principle is. It's similar to refusing to preorder anything.

So, you refuse to play games which were not made under your supervision regardless of the game's quality? Did you tell Black Isle how to make original PST? If not, how come it's not shit?

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You'd think any self-described Planescape: Torment superfan would want to own the game on Steam if he can get it for $4 but suit yourself.
I descibe myself as a Torment superfan, I have an original big box edition of the game, a DVD rerelease from my compatriot Hervé Caen and the old Gog version. I never gave a cent to Beamdog and never will, fuck them and everything they stand for.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale are pretty good games despite being rtwp IMHO, it might be worth picking them up for such a low price.
Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale are good games.
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition are not.
How can PST and ID be a good games while PST:EE, ID:EE are not? They are literally the same games with extremely minor changes. Like the only good things about PST was lack of black outliners around charcter and UI, while the rest (story, dialogues, characters) is trash?

The added content is sub-par, at best. That goes for all the EE games with new content.

Also I've seen stutters in IWD: EE first-hand that are not present in vanilla IWD.

So that's unwanted and unappreciated new content and technical issues not present in the original game(s). That's two reasons not to buy any of the games again, no matter the asking price.

Changes that no one asked for. As I said, I own both originals in a boxed version, I don't need any tweaks, changes, "improvements, anything that Beamdog even touched, and I refuse to give them any money. It's rather simple and I think a Codexer wouldn't have trouble with understanding what a principle is. It's similar to refusing to preorder anything.

So, you refuse to play games which were not made under your supervision regardless of the game's quality? Did you tell Black Isle how to make original PST? If not, how come it's not shit?

Please stop with the dishonest arguments Pretty , you know perfectly well what he means.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Relevant:

Oh man, X-COM's looking PRETTY PIXELATED these days! I just can't stand jaggies, let alone figure out how to set my GPU to scale 640 x 400 proportionally in fullscreen.

974a1a9b17.png

It runs completely flawlessly on modern systems with Open X-COM, but I mean wow, if I can't have it in 4k, I just refuse to play it! I mean, come on.

BEAMDOG! BEAMDOG, WE NEED YOUR HELP!

49ebe7d532.png

Oh, hell YEAH!

Beamdog, you did it again!

Take my entire fucking wallet bro, 9.5/10! Can't wait for the tranny alien DLC, I mean just wow what a time to be alive, holy shit dude. What kind of stupid alt-right neckbeard Trump supporter wouldn't think this is FUCKING AMAZEBALLS?! Updanks and Reddit gold for everyone!

PrettyDeadman

Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale are pretty good games despite being rtwp IMHO, it might be worth picking them up for such a low price.
Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale are good games.
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition are not.

The added content is sub-par, at best. That goes for all the EE games with new content.

I never said that added content is good (I never played it), but it def. doesn't turn those games into "shit".
I've had much better experience playing PST:EE than playing PST with widescreen mod. Never experienced any stutters in their EE games. If slight technical issues are the measurement of games being "shit", than its the originals which are shit, because they run much worse on my system than EE.

Turjan

Arcane
Despite all of the issues with Beamdog (such as the new content they've defecated that reads like shitty SJW fan fiction), I might still buy the "Enhanced Editions" provided all of Beamdog's additions can be toggled off, except that they have hideous UIs and those ridiculous-looking black strokes (outlines) around all of the character sprites, presumably so that iOS users can distinguish them clearly.
Always when I hear these "black borders" trotted out, I have to think that Codexers, when it comes to a Beamdog game, suddenly forget how to click a radio button in an option menu. You can criticize Beamdog editions because of quite a few things, and if you own the original game, I don't know why you think you are even a target of the sales pitch, but this point is really stupid. Yet it's the one most often mentioned.

I don't have PS:T:EE or IWD:EE, either, because I'm happy with the original games. These are games for people who want to play on a tablet or who don't have them yet on a PC. Of course, they are also for lazy people (and there's nothing wrong with that) who don't want to deal with ini files and mods. And yes, it's one click to get rid of those borders.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The last time I asked if those could be toggled off, I was told that they couldn't.

But it turns out that Beamdog still manages to make the sprites look like dogshit anyway:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51204/that-black-outline-around-the-characters
You should certainly not zoom in too far, even though the game lets you. They are very blurry.

Yeah, I believe we had this discussion in another thread—possibly the same one where I posted the X-COM spoof.

Ah yes!

8ca6b496e6.gif

Blaine confirmed for more technically competent than the entire Beamdog staff. UI notwithstanding, Beamdog had access to the source code, did they not? With access to the source code, there's no excuse for not being able to implement crisp 1:1 zooming except that you're too ignorant and/or retarded to figure out how to do it.

That's the problem with Beamdog's "enhancements": They aren't enhancements. They end up making things shittier rather than better. Being able to zoom isn't an enhancement if it makes the viewscreen look like a bleary fucking mess.

Turjan

Arcane
Blaine confirmed for more technically competent than the entire Beamdog staff. UI notwithstanding, Beamdog had access to the source code, did they not? With access to the source code, there's no excuse for not being able to implement crisp 1:1 zooming except that you're too ignorant and/or retarded to figure out how to do it.

That's the problem with Beamdog's "enhancements": They aren't enhancements. They end up making things shittier rather than better. Being able to zoom isn't an enhancement if it makes the viewscreen look like a bleary fucking mess.
Not sure what your example is supposed to prove. I can only look at BG1:EE at the moment. Black borders are off. Stuff looks like this on 1080p:
HjBF3rK.jpg

It's all very uneven (compare the character portraits), but this is maximal zoom. I'm not sure why you would want to zoom in that far, as you won't see your opponents.
The other end of the zoom spectrum looks like this:
SW205hM.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom