Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The stupid Quebec gaming tax breaks have FINALLY been scaled back

By saying "inflating the salaries" you make it sound like the workers get more money than they otherwise would have because of these tax breaks. In reality the salary level is set by market factors, and ubisoft is pocketing the tax break, the individual workers see little of it. It's not semantics, it's an important difference.

Nah, its irrelevant semantics. If the tax break goes away Ubisoft suddenly sees their employee salries paid out all increase by 60% just to maintain parity. What might-have-happened to their pay beforehand is entirely irrelevant, what matters is what does happen.

Renegen

Arcane
Manatee, please stick to breaking video games and finding the most OP powergaming strategies, stay out of business/economics/accounting. I mean it, you have a special eye for one kind of system breaking and yet would get an F - in accounting.

Something costing 37.5% less is the definition of getting 60% more for your money. This isn't even accounting now, its basic mathematical fact. You seem stuck up on the fact that one part of the company might get the money rather than the other part, but the important fact is that it is the state who is giving away that 60%. The fact that you seem to care this much about semantics is hilarious to me.

Last edited:

Coyote

Arcane
This reminds me of something that came up when I lived near a city with a bunch of large gaming companies. When making the case for how the gaming industry benefited the local economy (and therefore should be given more incentives), they reported an average salary of ~$80,000 to make it sound like they were bringing in a bunch of high-paid jobs. In fact, most workers made $30,000-$40,000, and it was mainly the salary of a few high-paid executives that raised the average to nearly double that. Now, anyone who has even the most basic grasp of statistics could have told you that using the median rather than the average would have more accurately reflected the salary that most workers received, but a lot of people don't know anything about statistics, or it doesn't occur to them to apply that knowledge in real-world situations, or they just don't care, etc., and so the industry's assertions went largely unchallenged.

My point is this: stating that the tax breaks increase salaries is exactly the sort of verbal wrangling that these companies would use to argue in favor of them. Pointing out that they're used to pad profits and likely don't have any effect on the vast majority of workers' salaries makes it harder for a politician who voted for them to justify it to the taxpayers, especially since the companies are already there and thus have less grounding for the usual go-to argument for corporate welfare (i.e. that it will attract employers in the first place).

Nah, its irrelevant semantics. If the tax break goes away Ubisoft suddenly sees their employee salries paid out all increase by 60% just to maintain parity. What might-have-happened to their pay beforehand is entirely irrelevant, what matters is what does happen.

No, Spectacle's right. There's a substantive difference between saying that employees are receiving 60% more due the tax breaks and saying that the company would have to pay employees 60% more without them. The former implies that the employees would receive less without the tax breaks because the company wouldn't be willing/able to pay more, whereas the latter states the opposite.

And even if it were just semantics, it certainly wouldn't be irrelevant. Language makes a huge difference in how we think about things; there's a reason that think tanks spend absurd amounts of money sussing out exactly which words and phrases people will respond to. To quote the guy who was largely responsible for popularizing phrases like "entitlements", "climate change", and "death tax":

Look, for years, political people and lawyers... used the phrase "estate tax." And for years they couldn't eliminate it. The public wouldn't support it because the word "estate" sounds wealthy. Someone like me comes around and realizes that it's not an estate tax, it's a death tax, because you're taxed at death. And suddenly something that isn't viable achieves the support of 75 percent of the American people. It's the same tax, but nobody really knows what an estate is. But they certainly know what it means to be taxed when you die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom