Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh,people are arguing about some console shit.

Perkel

Arcane
30 minutes travelling trough a open game world filled with absolutely nothing to explore but pretty scenery. How does that not qualify for a walking sim?

30 minutes is when you suck your mothers black cock in between.

Usually it takes about 3-6 minutes to get to next giant. Unless you are mentally retarded and can't use sword to point our way.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
30 minutes travelling trough a open game world filled with absolutely nothing to explore but pretty scenery. How does that not qualify for a walking sim?

Usually it takes about 3-6 minutes to get to next giant. Unless you are mentally retarded and can't use sword to point your way.

Wow, you are saying that like 5 minutes riding through to a barren game world isn't a boring waste of time.

Stll I noticed you didn't answer my question. So I'll ask again. How does any of this not qualify this game for a walking sim?

Because you are still navigating trough a world that's only visually pleasing and has nothing else interresting, compelling or well designed to offer and like you very well pointed out, the player is just following a dot in the screen that tells him were to go since there's no other way for the palyer to know where they need to be, and therefore detracts the whole exploration aspect of a fucking open world game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
THere's a difference, Shadow of the Colossus is good

So you are admiting that a game with almost no challenge, no gameplay and design depth plus no exploration, barely any content and the few content there is repetitive and boring as fuck = a good game.

Well thanks for clearing that out. Now I know that Skyrim is in fact a good game and that Betheseda did nothing wrong.

Also, SOTC didn't have objective markers. It has a beautiful world to explore.

But it has a GPS so what's the difference? Ubisoft also makes games with beautiful worlds to explore (definitively better than SotC since they have any content), but are they well designed and any good to explore?

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I've never been a big fan of SotC as others were around the time it was published, that said I think calling it a walking simulator is trying too hard to be an edgelord. I also remember having quite some fun playing it and that fighting a good half of the titans was interesting and challenging.

Now, if you first played SoC after watching an youtube playthrough or using a guide, I can see where such comparison comes from. SotC is a puzzle more than an action game, the first (and, as it should be, the only) time you play it there's the added challenge of studying the titan for its moveset, openings, eventual climbing spots on its body and weakpoints. Then, there's the arena where the fight happens, you usually need to know how to use that too in order to win, another challenge you basically face only during your first playthrough. Having any sort of hint in such a game is as pointless as playing Myst with a walkthrough, then complaining it's even less good than a walking sim.

Then, if you're one of the 0.001% of the player base that enjoys thoroughly exploring an empty world shooting lizards for unneded power ups, good for you there's that option too! When I did play it I never even knew about lizards and I still managed to finish it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
How the fuck is Bunnyhop a talentless hack? I disagree with him on a lot of things and don't even watch all his content, but actual journalism like this puts everyone else to shame:

Don't be stupid.

Ash

Arcane
Stealth and combat gameplay as always available options doesn't work that well, but generally speaking many great games blend elements of other genres and are better for it. e.g RPGs with puzzle elements, or any kind of action game with platforming.

Stealth and combat gameplay as always available options doesn't work that well, but generally speaking many great games blend elements of other genres and are better for it. e.g RPGs with puzzle elements, or any kind of action game with platforming.

Genre mixes will always have their flaws thou. Like how Persona's mixture of life sim and dungeon crawling breaks the pacing or how the Shadow Warrior reboot's RPG elements slow down the gameplay and turn every enemy into a bullet sponge.

Ash

Arcane

Genre mixes will always have their flaws thou. Like how Persona's mixture of life sim and dungeon crawling breaks the pacing or how the Shadow Warrior reboot's RPG elements slow down the gameplay and turn every enemy into a bullet sponge.

Depends on the particular implementation. There's good implementations and bad. Great games and not so great games. Nobody was complaining about the blend of gameplay elements in the original Shadow Warrior (1997), and if they did they should be euthanized.

As for that video...yeah it's pretty declined. And he says the game is a "Half-Life clone"...HL may have had a slow expositional opening, but after that 20-25 mins it was pretty much non-stop gameplay. No stealth, reading or faux-RPG elements either, but rather a trio of combat, platforming and puzzles. They're really quite different shooter archetypes.
Yeah HL2 had a couple extra walking sim moments than the first, but that game is rather bland and boring overall anyway, and even then it's not on Machine Game's level of shit gameplay design.

They simply took the RTCW formula (has stealth, reading, even minor RPG elements in the console releases) and spun it into a overly scripted cinematic storyfag game. Not a very compelling one at that. Would watch RTCW bickering over cheese over anything in TNO any day.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He finally showed us his journo skills. The game is far too hard,he plays on a pc with the controller....yeah smart. Oh Blowjob is the smartest written character eva,the story is the greatest thing written by a modern day intellectuals because.....honestly don't know,when begun talking in drivel i just stopped watching. Oh how much i love pseudo intellectuals.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Couldn't the developers just made a Run n' Gun shooter with good fun level design and gameplay, instead of cramming unecessary shealth segments and making the player's life piss poor and the enemies bullet sponges? Is that to much to ask?

Well the devs are swedish, so I don't know they have innate need to have stealth in fps games but I do know they have an pathological need to shove multicultural shit into their games.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Couldn't the developers just made a Run n' Gun shooter with good fun level design and gameplay, instead of cramming unecessary shealth segments and making the player's life piss poor and the enemies bullet sponges? Is that to much to ask?

I'm not sure if modern day devs actually know what is "fun". When modern day devs where in their prime gamer age (15-20) the games they played are stuff like call of duty modern warfare and oblivion. They've never played a fun game so now that they got a job as a game dev they just make shit games all day long.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well lately I've been playing a lot of the new Shadow Warrior, and despite the upgrades system, those random enemy effects/status nonsense and some enemies being the same (only with a different skin and 1/2 new moves) the game is really a lot of fun. The gunplay is good, the maps are big and often maze-like (they have many levels of verticality with many shortcuts and diverging paths), movement is fast (you can pretty much speed trough a big level in 5 minutes if you master the movement) it's just overall a very fun game. Hell even nu-Doom for all it's shit is a fun and challenging game.
Is it so hard for these swedish dumbasses to do the same?

Well lately I've been playing a lot of the new Shadow Warrior, and despite the upgrades system, those random enemy effects/status nonsense and some enemies being the same (only with a different skin and 1/2 new moves) the game is really a lot of fun. The gunplay is good, the maps are big and often maze-like (they have many levels of verticality with many shortcuts and diverging paths), movement is fast (you can pretty much speed trough a big level in 5 minutes if you master the movement) it's just overall a very fun game. Hell even nu-Doom for all it's shit is a fun and challenging game.
Is it so hard for these swedish dumbasses to do the same?

I kinda remember some youtuber making a vid about Wolfenstein TNO's hit scan enemies being bad game design.
Also, if you are talking about the good stuff in the Shadow Warrior reboot don't forget about its melee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom