Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's always worth a shot. And considering Eidos was never made games as bad as the ones Square's makes I can’t see what harm could be done. Besides those nu-males most likely have a better understanding of why people like FF games than Square does.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Besides those nu-males most likely have a better understanding of why people like FF games than Square does.
They didn't understand why people liked thief why the fuck would they understand why people like FF?

Because they are fans of the FF games. Those were the games they played and enjoyed, not Thief. You can see that by the fact the first concepts they made were very similar to the old FF games.

Very few western gamers have ever played or even heard of the old Thief games, they are underrated cult classics.
While everyone that plays games, knows at least what are the FF games. And I would bet my soul that the majority of kids in the 90s played FF than any other western RPG.

It was also worth to try because at least they had an original idea, unlike Square wich is currently remaking one of the most overhyped and overated games ever made (and are strenching it's play time to make it episodic).

Ash

Arcane
I guess while I don't trust Square Enix/Eidos Publishing/Eidos Montreal to make a good FF at all, I suppose they may as well go ahead and be given the chance. It's not like the series can be desecrated any further after 13 and 15, and pretty much everything else Square Enix has done to the franchise since 2007.
But the modern rule applies: everything is shit. Since 2007, what have these companies done of value in general?

Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided: decline, yet not awful, and probably only accepted because of how bad Invisible War was.
NuHitman: not bad, yet ruined by episodic, always online format.

Anything else? No? Thought not.
Okay okay, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was a kickass co-op spinoff game. Overall it's mostly been the systematic rape of numerous classic franchises, however. Thief, FF, Tomb Raider, Parasite Eve, Hitman, Deus Ex (even if you disagree because you're such a huge faggot fan of NuDeusEx, there's Deus Ex: the Fall and other such shite to counter that).
What did they do to Legacy of Kain? I was never much a fan of that franchise but if I recall they revived and subsequently buried that one too.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

Western gaming is the redheaded step-child of Square Enix, always getting the short end of the stick.
What did they do to Legacy of Kain? I was never much a fan of that franchise but if I recall they revived and subsequently buried that one too
There was gonna be a semi spin-off entry, Dead Sun, that attempted to go into how the future changed by the time travel shit. While I don't think it was gonna be amazing, this single-player story driven game was axed in favor of making the tacked on multiplayer mode a release on its own. And we know how that one, Nosgoth, went.
And honestly, maybe it was for the best in the long run. LoK is one of the best written game series, and the writers either moved on to other companies or got sick of the industry.
I've kinda accepted it and honestly, the somewhat open ending of Defiance is actually a nice close. Much like how Wizardry 8 is a good conclusion despite that 9 was planned before Sir-Tech died.

Egosphere

Arcane
What did they do to Legacy of Kain? I was never much a fan of that franchise but if I recall they revived and subsequently buried that one too.

They wanted to continue on with this abomination:

That little stare at 13:06 is exactly my expression throughout the vid.
Thank fuck it died in development

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Played it this weekend and holy shit it's actually very fun and engaging. Everything thing he said in the review is true.

In the first couple of rounds, you are trying to get the your bearing on the maps, the clunky controls and the logic behind game. But once you do get a understanding of those things, that's when the ride really begins and you start to enjoy it.

Right until you or the other players start learning new tactics that will seem very unfair. Because of the lack of information the game gives abouts it's items and actions, and even the fact there's really not any kind of deep guide on the web, you reach a point where you can get easily frustrated with the game because certain tactics seem just to OP, with no way of countering or circumvent them (like putting mines in the objectives).
And that's where the difficulty curve of this game increases so much that me and my pals almost gave up on it. At that point you should do like we did and load up simple map, set a very high time count and start testing and experimenting with every items, gun, action even the movements speed, sound and visibilty.

After you obtain a good amount of knowledge of these factors, the game becomes even more enjoyable and immensely more competitive.
It really is a lost gem.

Also I mostly played as 1v1 (and you can do that in just about any map) and the experience is almost as good as 2v2.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane

1:23 - readability and playability of triple a games has matured that is more than skin deep? How?

Smart, procedural animations - shallow, skin deep criteria.
Focus on long lasting competitive balance - Valve, Blizzard et al. have been doing that since the turn of the millennium.
Greater readability and conveyance - self referential logic, whilst showing a modern game which is a rainbow clusterfuck of conveyance :lol:

Gets on my tits how such statements are thrown around by a 'critic'

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Smart, procedural animations - shallow, skin deep criteria.

Good animations tell you what your opponent is about to do (see Dark Souls). A few of the animations here are a bit too fast and similar to read properly.
There is a more pressing problem in the game with the animations, that happens a bit too often. For example, if you try to reach a vent or even jump over a fence, there will be times you can't because the respective animation didn't play so I would have to jump some 2/3 before the doll grabbed the ledge.

Focus on long lasting competitive balance - Valve, Blizzard et al. have been doing that since the turn of the millennium.

Valve not really. CS as always been absurdly broken and it had very few updates (after all 1.6 was a fan mod). And TF2 is not really competitive.
As for Blizzard. Well World of Warcraft was unique in that regard in it's time. But this, as he puts it, "focus on long lasting competitive balance" is something that really became of significant importance in 2013/4 when competitive multiplayer games started to gain their current popularity.

Greater readability and conveyance - self referential logic, whilst showing a modern game which is a rainbow clusterfuck of conveyance :lol:

One of the biggest problems this game has IMO, is that most of the maps are hard to read, navigate and manage. Take the cinema example he showed. That map is too cluttered to not only feel like a cinema theater, but also favors greatly the spy players and severely handicaps the merc players - because it's rooms are to big and full of obstacles, you spend a good chunk of your precious time ziz-zaging trough them, ignoring the various other equally bad designed rooms and in the end you don't even do a proper search.
Then even on the better designed maps like river mall you still have the recurring problem of room labels. There are areas of the map where you can efficiently identify and report player/camera/objectives locations, but for the most part you can't. And since this is a tactical competitive multilayer game, being able to do this is highly important.

And this is something, modern multiplayer games do very well. Even in Rainbow 6 Siege if you remove the compass+room label+floor UI component, you could still in every map very effectively communicate with the other players exactly because the level design was made with his very principal in mind. This is something these modern games do very well. Their maps are clean, organized and even the most complex ones can be easily memorized in 2/3 rounds.

And this also ties back to the previous point about lasting balance and player base. But then again this I this also easier to maintain nowadays since:
  1. everyone has Internet, and therefore everyone can go to the game's forums and discuss about this and test shit; making the Devs continue to work on the game;
  2. all these games are played on DRM; so the devs can regularly update their game's for as long as there is a significant player base.
That's why one of my favourite maps in this Versus game is a recreation of the first sections of Shadow Moses. It really resembles the original game, but has enough changes to suit this game. It has 2 floors of verticality; enough vents to acess the most important parts; at least 3 entraces/exits in every room; it doesn't have the room label problem since you can very easily identify them; it has nice porpotions, it's well lightened and filled with enough obstacles for a spy to hide; it's clean and very well organized so a merc can very well patrol it; doesn't come off as unnatural unlike the cinema and others; and overall it's has good and memorable level design.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
For those of you who want to try out.

Here's the best Steam guide:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265715221

If you can't connect to a LAN match like I couldn't then do this:
  • Go to your Network and Sharing Center
  • Click 'Change adapter settings'
  • Select your network then left click 'Properties'
  • Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4', then 'Properties', then 'Advanced'
  • On the bottom of the 'IP Settings' tab there's a 'Automatic metric' box; untick it and on the 'Interface metric' change the value to 10
  • Then hit 'OK' and you are done!
This also resolved my problem with finding a LAN match in Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Case of Distrust is fine, nice presentation, moody atmosphere, good writing albeit a bit tame and slow, conversations with cab drivers are genuinely entertaining, some pixelhunting part is annoying and there's no fail state so you can mindlessly present evidence to people until you get the right one with no penalty. Playing it makes me crave for more jazzy themed games like Grim Fandango.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why anyone even cares about that shit?!?!?!?! It is like telling you that the breakfast joint near my house is closing and making 30 minute video about why :roll:.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why anyone even cares about that shit?!?!?!?! It is like telling you that the breakfast joint near my house is closing and making 30 minute video about why :roll:.

Because it's
informative.png
and
interesting.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom