Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Twisted Metal series

Starwars

Arcane
Did anyone play these? Me and my friends had some pretty fantastic times in the multiplayer. Truly chaotic, shitty controls, pure fun.

I miss this series.

Still can't understand why assholes can't make a proper carmageddon sequel, or new twisted metal. Road rash at least, I mean come on now, that niche has been empty for what? like 10 years now?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've played a bunch but I don't know which. There's that one where you play miniature cars which was cool too.

Also Vigilante 8.

There's that one where you play miniature cars which was cool too.

RockNRollRacing2.png

this one by any chance?

DakaSha II

Prospernaut
Micro machines, dipshit.

R&RR is the best racing game ever made though.

edit: i tried

Starwars

Arcane
All the games mentioned so far are pretty great. Micro Machines and Rock'n'Roll Racing were fucking amazing multiplayer games.

But yeah, for some reason I remembered Twisted Metal today. Still have fond memories of blowing up the Eiffel Tower in the second (I think it was the second) game.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Excidium II is talking about Twisted Metal Small Brawl. Why any one thought a series about serial killers fighting each other in vehicles would make for a good cutesy kids game is beyond me.

Anyway, yeah, Twisted Metal 2 was one of my favorites as a kid. After that one I think the only decent entry into the series was Black. For some reason the developers seemed to focus on making the series look 'cool' (with shit like mecha Sweet Tooth) rather than dark, twisted, and fucked up.

Severian Silk

I had the first two on PS1. Good times.

I looked for the discs recently but seem to have lost them.

pippin

Still can't understand why assholes can't make a proper carmageddon sequel, or new twisted metal. Road rash at least, I mean come on now, that niche has been empty for what? like 10 years now?

I think there's a new road rash-like game in the making but it's early access, so it will probably be released in 2025

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember playing Twisted Metal: Black. Spooked me when I was a kid, and my brother kicked my ass in it, but that's all I really remember. It also had a laughable cover of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones. To be honest I was more of a kart racer, but it was a load of fun (until the disk got scratched and then lost through the tests of time).

I remember hearing the reboot was meh. I'd play another game like that (or Carmageddon) on the PC w/ proper multiplayer functionality if anyone bothered. Fun stuff.

Mustawd

First time I played on a playstation was my cousin's. He was like 18 and I was 12. He had Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, and X-Com. I remember TM was so damn fun due to all the personalities. The best part was that the personas fit the cars perfectly. The one that sticks in my mind the most was the Clown Ice Cream truck. It just had some serious fire power, but handled like complete garbage.

Suicidal

Arcane
When I was in school vehicle combat was all the rage for me and my friends and classmates. Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8, Rogue Trip (anyone remember that one?), Carmageddon. There was also Critical Depths, which was basically Twisted Metal with submarines but it wasn't as good.

Rogue Trip, people.

Rogue fucking Trip.

Where it was possible to send a hotel flying to the moon, go there later through a teleporter hidden in-level and see the building float around. Then destroy the Earth and have endbringer-class debris fly everywhere.

Last edited:

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only played Twisted Metal 2 and it was indeed a great game. I liked the maps especially, they were quite open and well thought (imo better than in most FPS games), and the sounds were pretty well made too. I don't think I'd like to replay it nowadays though, as I fear it would spoil my memories - it's not a kind of game I enjoy nowadays.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Great series. Each character had its own animated story arc, too, that was one of the cooler things aside from the hilarious multiplayer. My favorite character was the cop, but I also dug the dude who had his arms cut off and replaced with giant wheels :lol:

bussinrounds

Augur
Anyone try the ones on the PSP or PS3 ? Haven't played one since Black...which was ok, but the controls felt a little off compared to 2 from what I remember.

Starwars

Arcane
Haven't tried the later ones. Black was my latest one also, and I dug that a lot. Thought it was a great entry in the series. I think the controls sucked in pretty much all of them, hehe.

At the time Vigilante 8 had better graphics (not much difference to modern eyes, of course) but less personality in its characters, 'story' and arenas. Same with Rogue Trip vs Vigilante 8 considering a good chunk of TM's worker bees ran away to make RT.

Soulcucker

Savant
Twisted Metal 2 and Black are great games, as is Rogue Trip. Twisted Metal 1 is also pretty good, but Twisted Metal 2 is a significant improvement on it. TM3 and TM4 are garbage, developer changed from Single Track to 989 Studios. 989 is interesting in that they took over Jet Moto and Cool Boarders series and made crap entries in those series as well, yet they were competent in making good sports games at the time (NHL Faceoff, NFL Gameday, and NCAA were all superior to the EA and SEGA equivalents) and also created Syphon Filter. I did not play the PSP TM or the TM 2012, but the are probably at least decent because Jaffe worked on them.

Mustawd

Another thing I remembered were the random tiny people with rocket launchers or whatever who would fire at you as you drove. And you could run them over.

The best part was that they were always white. So it felt good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom