Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SausageInYourFace Good post.

The CRPG Addict makes an interesting point about side quests that I've thought of before myself. I think you could use the Ultima series as the focus for an article surveying the evolution of quest design in RPGs. I would say that the core Ultima series (U4-U7), throughout its lifetime, retained an older style of quest design that by the time of U6 and U7 had begun to show its age.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
SausageInYourFace, you should try the Ultima 6 Project remake, using Dungeon Siege.
Definitely one of my best CRPG experiences the past five years.
Also, it sounds your play style takes out some of the fun of the game. Instead of exploring every city and talking to every NPC before doing any dungeon crawling, try playing the game more "organic", and explore dungeons if there is one nearby, especially if you have a reason to explore it.

SausageInYourFace Nuvie allows you to increase the viewport and even remove the useless borders or get rid of the always showing UI and play it like Ultima 7. It has scrolling messages, has a much improved UI, allows the music to continue during conversations, and can stop the music from changing when you switch to combat, sailing, or abruptly stopping and playing a different track when you change areas. Original+ and new style allow you to toggle the command bar. You can have companions actually look different than generic npcs. The top 3 rows in the picture below are the Avatar dolls and sprite.

The original engine and Nuvie allow you to use the alt code 215 to skip an hour ahead. Joining the music guild for a rune is the worst sidequest. First of all, Iolo, his wife Gwenno, and Julia are all in the guild, but there is no option for them to be given the rune. Then there are a bunch of fetch quests to make the instrument and then it finishes with entering copy protection questions. I use the alt code 314 teleport cheat to travel quickly when playing Ultima fetch quest in Nuvie.

. original 320x200 . . . . . . . original+ 320x200 . . . . . . . new 320x200. . . . . . . . . . . original+ 640x400. . . . . . . original+_full_map 640x400

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nuvie looks pretty great, unfortunately I could not get it to work when I tried a few months ago, though I don't remember the exact reason now. I will make sure to try it one day, as I will with the Dungeon Siege remakes.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I've been told that there are gypsy prostitutes in one of the games, and I've got some questions about that.... :shredder:

I'm thinking about giving up my Ultima virginity and start out with one of the games. In which order should I play the games, and can I get them on GoG, or should I go somewhere else?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll just answer this question. :P

I'm going to have to push Ultima forward in my backlog, it seems very interesting. Which game would you advice that I start with?

Depends what sort of experience you're looking for. Are you up for some serious retrogaming, with 8-bit graphics and interface? Or do you just want to experience the story and themes to know what it's all about? In the latter case, you could start with the Dungeon Siege remakes of U5 and U6.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I don't mind retro gaming, but from my own experience, I have an easier time to play a retro game if I'm already invested in the series. So it might be a good choice for me to pick a game that I'm sure to enjoy all around.

You're such a cock tease, going from Gypsy prostitutes to 8 bit retro games. :negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't mind retro gaming, but from my own experience, I have an easier time to play a retro game if I'm already invested in the series. So it might be a good choice for me to pick a game that I'm sure to enjoy all around.

You're such a cock tease, going from Gypsy prostitutes to 8 bit retro games. :negative:

lol it's not like there are any sexy cutscenes in a game from 1990. Just a portrait: http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Wanda

Have you ever played Dungeon Siege? Would you enjoy a game like that (very simple party-based RTwP combat) if it had an open world full of cool stuff to find and lots of NPCs with deep dialogue trees? If so, you'll enjoy those Dungeon Siege remakes.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
lol it's not like there are any sexy cutscenes in a game from 1990. Just a portrait: http://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Wanda

Don't forget that there is also a second prostitute available.

Andreas.GIF

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

Have you ever played Dungeon Siege? Would you enjoy a game like that (very simple party-based RTwP combat) if it had an open world full of cool stuff to find and lots of NPCs with deep dialogue trees? If so, you'll enjoy those Dungeon Siege remakes.

Are we talking about Dungeon Siege from 2003 made by Gas Powered Games? If so then yes, I've played and enjoyed both the first and the second game, but haven't tried the third.

Two gypsy prostitutes!? It's like Fallout, just with more options! :bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Are we talking about Dungeon Siege from 2003 made by Gas Powered Games? If so then yes, I've played and enjoyed both the first and the second game, but haven't tried the third.

Two gypsy prostitutes!? It's like Fallout, just with more options! :bounce:

Haha, if you actually enjoyed DS1 then you're in for a treat.

U5 Lazarus: http://www.u5lazarus.com/ (make sure you install mods: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/infinitrons-u5-lazarus-recommended-mods.74223/)
U6 Project: http://u6project.com/wp/ (same: http://sylore.com/downloads-page/u6pdownloads/U6P Mods/#wpfb-cat-4)

I'd start from U5, but if you're really obsessed with gypsy poon then you can start from U6 I guess. You can read a plot synopsis of the previous games on Wikipedia, it's nothing too complex.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I'll start with U5, just makes it all the more sweet once I hit U6. ;)

Thank you for the links, I have some downloading to do!

:brodex:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

:hmmm:

"You see a gypsy wench with a voluptuous figure"

:shredder:

"Well hello there handsome! Looking for a little relaxation?"

:yeah:

"Well this is the place"

:thumbsup:

"They call me wicked Wanda, honey"

:kwafuckyeah:

"If we can find someplace private, I'll gladly show you how I got my nickname"

:bounce:

This is better than half the shit that is popular online right now!

TigerKnee

Arcane
lol it's not like there are any sexy cutscenes in a game from 1990.
Hey man, I loved the sex scene in Ultima 7: SI which consists of two sprites playing the "falling down" and "standing up" animation on each other for a couple of seconds, don't judge.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That Ultima Wiki said:
Technically, Wanda can bed any member of the party if approached in Solo Mode. At least two Ultima humor sites have used this to enforce a zoophillic tryst with Sherry the Mouse.

Leitz

Learned
Can someone tell me how to dissmiss party members in Ultima IV please.

Leitz

Learned
...or can I just let them die and ressurect them much later? Objections? None? Then that's how it should be.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
You can't dismiss them in U4, in U5 you can drop them in Inns. Just let those you have die and don't pick up any more until late game. I understand thats how most people play.

Leitz

Learned
You can't dismiss them in U4, in U5 you can drop them in Inns. Just let those you have die and don't pick up any more until late game. I understand thats how most people play.
Weird that there is no option. I call this a mayor flaw of the game then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You need them all for the endgame dungeon anyway, might as well get used to it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Does anyone know if the Sharp X68000 (Japan) version of Ultima V, ever had it's tileset/assets made available? It's probably the best looking version of WoD I've seen.

543785-ultima-v-warriors-of-destiny-sharp-x68000-screenshot-title.png

543790-ultima-v-warriors-of-destiny-sharp-x68000-screenshot-game.png

543786-ultima-v-warriors-of-destiny-sharp-x68000-screenshot-intro.png

543787-ultima-v-warriors-of-destiny-sharp-x68000-screenshot-character.png

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom