Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

yellowcake

Arcane
To those in the know about MIDI music in UWs - there's a way of making UWs use AWE32 wavetable directly. You have to download "Real & Protected Mode AWE32 John Miles Audio Interface Libraries", overwrite some files in the game folder and select roland MT32 in the configuration. That's how was my last playthrough at the time. Is this Roland hack you people talk about much better than that?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, never knew the music and sounds were so different with the Roland emulation! The sound of water is a huge difference as well as the deeper base of the music when walking.
Then you are in to a treat replaying some Sierra and Lucasarts games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hmm... rummaging through my game collection, it turns out that the most recent version I have of the Underworld games are from the RPG Archives collection that Interplay released somewhere around 1997. Does anyone here know whether they're patched versions or not?
press alt+f7 in-game to see which version it is. Most recent one I think is 1.94.
I just restarted it from my archive and it says : Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss vF1.50S

Now i'm annoyed because there doesn't seem to be a LGS patch anywhere on the web.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hmm... rummaging through my game collection, it turns out that the most recent version I have of the Underworld games are from the RPG Archives collection that Interplay released somewhere around 1997. Does anyone here know whether they're patched versions or not?

I have the Ultimate RPG Archives as well, and the Ultima Underworld version on there is VF1.94S (I just checked).

To those in the know about MIDI music in UWs - there's a way of making UWs use AWE32 wavetable directly. You have to download "Real & Protected Mode AWE32 John Miles Audio Interface Libraries", overwrite some files in the game folder and select roland MT32 in the configuration. That's how was my last playthrough at the time. Is this Roland hack you people talk about much better than that?

It's not exactly a hack, and I would assume the MT-32 native mode in games sounds better than any wavetable, by simple virtue of being fully programmable, and dynamic. Definitely worth a try.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, never knew the music and sounds were so different with the Roland emulation! The sound of water is a huge difference as well as the deeper base of the music when walking.
Then you are in to a treat replaying some Sierra and Lucasarts games.
Yep, after a run through the Stygian Abyss I may have to take a trip down Lucas Arts road. Which games take advantage the most of the Roland sounds/ music? Never had such any easy emulation setup before and never was able to get the Roland MT-32 thing to work until now. The Korean DosBox build is great. A huge :bro: to the guy who made it! It truly adds a new level of... dare I say it... immershun to UW1 that I've not experienced before! ;)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Wow i was trying to pick up the bag at the start like a retard for 3 minutes until i realized the game has a special mode to pick up and use stuff. Newer user interfaces have spoiled me.

mindx2 : most of the early sierra/lucasarts/many other companies games have stupendous mt32 music since it was the device the musicians composed for before 'downgrading' for pc speaker and adlib. A notable exception is Cryo - i think their kgb/dune etc sound superior on adlib/soundblaster

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wow i was trying to pick up the bag at the start like a retard for 3 minutes until i realized the game has a special mode to pick up and use stuff. Newer user interfaces have spoiled me.
You can also pick up by holding the mouse button and dragging it to your inventory. You don't need to use the interface buttons except to go in combat mode (which can also be activated by left clicking your equipped weapon), right click examines and right click hold and drag interacts with things like NPCs and doors.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably have the game up and running later tonight. :)

I leafed through the UUW1 Cluebook today, mostly because I realized that I had it lying around and had never really read it. It's written from the perspective of the villain, and while it isn't an all-encompassing detailed guide to everything in the Abyss, it has some wonderful tidbits in it, like how he causes mischief in some small and insidious ways. Remember the forgetful Mountainman engineer who's lost his blueprints, who claims that he knows where a Flying potion can be found? The villains says that he put a potion of Poison right next to it to confuse and torment him. The cad.

There's also some other interesting bits of info, but these are mostly related to gaming mechanics, and not outright spoilers.

# While the Lore skill works on all items that the Avatar looks at, it works best when the Avatar looks at items he has in his inventory. In other words, distance penalizes the skill.

# The carrying capacity of containers is based on the weight of the items within, not on their volume. Backpacks can carry 25 stones, crates and sacks can carry half that, a bowl can carry 5 stones and a pouch only 2 stones worth of stuff.

# The maximum possible level of a skill is determined by which class you pick during character creation. The maximum is always 30, but sometimes it's capped at 25, or possibly even lower. (I have no further details on this.)

# Of some runes there is only one found in the entire game, namely the Corp, Des, Ex, Kal, Lor, Quas, Uus and Wis runes. Some of these are found very early in the game, so make sure to check the first floor carefully.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Read the Memoirs of Sir Cabirus too, it gives a background to the story and describes the monsters and stuff in-character. It's a fun read. And also the manual, there's at good hint at page 12.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Regarding the Pac-Man quest: Visit the Mage again later for your reward. The real problem is figuring out how to use it.

As for Warren:

If you know how to cast Sheet Lighting, then you've 'talked' to Warren. Game mechanics only permit you to speak to other critters, so in order to fake the conversation with the door, which is very clearly not a critter, they had him being close by and set to start a conversation with you when you interacted with the door.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heh. I almost killed Warren before getting to that point. I probably would have run into just a locked door I couldn't open. I found a medallion on the 7th level that would have gotten me past the guards, but what fun is that? I spent my time killing every one of them, then fleeing to get healed. Unfortunately, I can't open the cell doors since I haven't found the key and I've only explored the sw corner of the map because of I can't seem to get to the rest.

I am now on the second level, but with a moonstone after experimenting with a scroll that I had been lugging around for awhile in my backpack. I needed to heal up anyway after finishing off the last troll and orc on the seventh level. I now have the sword, shield, candle, book, bottle and banner artifacts. Still no luck on the ring and I don't know what the 8th artifact is yet.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One silly thing in the UU games is that portcullises can be locked and unlocked with keys and the unlock spell. :roll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Deuce Traveler: The 'proper' way through the checkpoints is, from the stairs that brought you here: North across the bridge, then go SE. Checkpoint 1. Then go south past a door, turn west and cross a small bridge and keep going south from there. Checkpoint 2. From there go west, crossing the river then turn north and cross the river AGAIN. Checkpoint 3. The fourth and final checkpoint is at the end of a series of twisty passages beyond that, and places you pretty close to the central northern point of the map. IIRC, the key that allows you to open all the checkpoint doors is on one guard at the final checkpoint, it was either a red or brown key. So my approach would be to feign friendship and find the head guard, then bash his skull in and work your way backwards and kill everyone, clearing a path.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I finally had a go at getting UW1 running. For the first time since I first bought it and played it, over 20 years ago, I heard every single part of the intro being played.

However, I am having another problem now, the mouse is sluggish, sometimes unresponsive.

I have the same problem with the mouse. Lowering the DPI resolution on the driver helped it somewhat (I remember a similar issue with Wizards & Warriors), but I don't know if you have that option.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I used a mouse sensitivity option of 200, thanks for that mate!

I started the game and found that I have the "piano steps" problem, so I'm hunting down the General MIDI patch.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Right. I even ran both installers (UINSTALL.EXE and UWSOUND.EXE) and made sure everything checked out there.

I even tried changing the settings to Sound Blaster Pro, like I used to have it back in the day. The music sounds MUCH worse than it did.

I have the DOSBox SVN Daum version, I have the Roland roms (in the DOSBox directory) and have sound set to Roland MT-32. Yet I get this. :-/

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Did you set dosbox to use your midi device? Open dosbox, type mixer /listmidi, remember which number is for the mt-32, open the .conf file, go down to [midi] and change the the midiconfig=0 to the number assigned to the mt-32 device.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure about that build but IIRC http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ Taewoong's build is one of the more popular ones? Maybe try that? It also has MT-32 ROM support.
That's the one I'm using right now and it works perfectly. Never heard UW1 like this before... It's beautiful, man... beautiful!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom