Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
only in the codex does a flame war erupt over whether or not crouch-jumping constitutes parkour

You have a very low watermark for 'flame war'. +M

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i blame it on the amount of time i've spent posting on the jrpg sub-forum recently. no flame wars over there ever, so when i do read threads on this forum and see people calling each other retard and the like it's a bit surprising.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
i blame it on the amount of time i've spent posting on the jrpg sub-forum recently.

t-1000.gif

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fowyr you have been messing about with the innards. Can you extract a list of item descriptions?
I quick checked it, probably not. My unpackers can't unpack exe and files in DATA don't have text. Even then you could find only item suffixes. You should remember how I tinkered with items somewhere in this thread. Some from these 16 bytes could make absolutely inane shit like Coin of Jumping.

Ash

Arcane
^what's the name of that film? Pretty sure it's a classic Jackie Chan romp.
I need to go on another HK cinema binge. Best content for action junkies.

Why has a mouselook mod not been made for UW 1/2? For such legendary games they do not get their just desserts. Too hardcore, too intelligent, and too progressive for a big bunch of the PC gaming tards out there.

*Signs out to go play some Doom*

:troll:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jackie chan's dragons forever, directed by sammo hong who also stars in it. a fun bit of trivia: the actor from that gif, who is the antagonist in the movie, used to be bruce lee's go-to stunt double.

Neki

Scholar
Gotta love that game.

Was playing last night,after an epic battle against those of worms i manage to die to an spider.

There is an axe better than the Battle axe?The damage is good but the charge time is too slow for my tastes.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I thought there was a higher damaging axe than the Battle Axe but I was wrong. There is a jeweled axe that does slightly less damage but swings faster.

Highest damage melee weapon the UW is the highest tier mace.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
I'm replaying the game right now (the last time I abandoned it when I was on the third level).
Do you know if there are some ways to add items to the inventory (maybe a save editor?)?
I accidentally dropped the recipe for the rotworm stew, and I don't have a previous save in which I still have the scroll.

Neki

Scholar
I'm replaying the game right now (the last time I abandoned it when I was on the third level).
Do you know if there are some ways to add items to the inventory (maybe a save editor?)?
I accidentally dropped the recipe for the rotworm stew, and I don't have a previous save in which I still have the scroll.
You shoud be able to pick if you didn't dropped on lava.
Items will stay in the drop point till you pick them up(or destroy them)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
He could have thrown it into water, which also destroys it.

Vital quest items for completing the game will not get destroyed, no matter where you drop them. Sadly the Rotworm stew recipe is only needed to get an Item of Interest, not a quest item.

As for --- predicament - adapt or die. Now you can't walk on lava like a boss. Improvise. The game allows for it.

Neki

Scholar
I think you can get it back if you are fast and have the swimming skill.
Never tested though

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
...I'm in Oktoberfest mode right now, but even I think that's preposterous.

Once a (non-vital) item hits the water, it's gone for good. Not even a pile of ash that shares its properties remains. Bye-bye.

Neki

Scholar
...I'm in Oktoberfest mode right now, but even I think that's preposterous.

Once a (non-vital) item hits the water, it's gone for good. Not even a pile of ash that shares its properties remains. Bye-bye.
Yep,Just tested.

Anyway,you can beat the game without it.I never knew that the recipe existed till my 2 or 3 playthrough.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've never played an Ultima, but I'm going to change that with UU1.

Does anyone have some recommendations before I dive into the game? Unofficial fixes or files I should know about, or just fire up dosbox and play? Should I look up tips and tricks? Sometimes these old games have really obscure quirks that were well known at the time, but for someone in 2016 playing for the first time, would be completely unknown. I don't want spoilers or power builds or anything though.

Infinitron cuz I know you love your Ultimas.

edit: I'll RTFM first, of course. and consult any maps that would have been in the box.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
First, of course, RTFM. Goes without saying for games released before the year 2000.

Second, you'll need the DOSBox SVN Daum-build to play the Underworld games properly. IIRC it's so you get the audio right.

Third, you'll need to keep your own notes. Pen 'n' paper will do, but you can use pages of the in-game automap as well.

Fourth, avoid reading tips online, they will probably spoil your fun. Ask us here instead after reading the manual if you want answers to how specific skills or attributes work.

Otherwise you're making a good choice with UUW1 as a starting point for Ultima. It only introduces you to the philosophy of the game, not the Big Story and all the characters. If you like what you see here, then go for the others. Note that UUW2 is not a direct sequel to UUW1, but more of a sequel to Ultima 7 that uses the Underworld engine.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Read the manuals. Other than that make sure you have sound set up correctly. I prefer SBPro audio but my experience is that people prefer it as they first played it. I found the MIDI music really loud and not nearly as atmospheric as SBPro. Maybe try them both a bit and decide for yourself.

Enjoy man. You are in for a real treat.

Kahr

Playing it first time too and it's amazing and all, but from the situation i'm in now (level 7) i can give you following two tips:
-taking a character with more strength makes the game less annoying (i've got a bard with ondly 16Str) because you will have to carry a lot of stuff later on
-there are items which seem not important, but get latter on, so remember where you put anything or the game get's more annoying later on

Real spoiler for the game:
DAAMN SPIDER SILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
:negative:

Read the manuals. Other than that make sure you have sound set up correctly. I prefer SBPro audio but my experience is that people prefer it as they first played it. I found the MIDI music really loud and not nearly as atmospheric as SBPro. Maybe try them both a bit and decide for yourself.

Enjoy man. You are in for a real treat.
Are there different themes as you progress in the levels or is there just the "normal" music and the combat one?
Found it weird. Expected maybe one theme each 2 levels.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
agris there is a config program for dosbox and one for the game, I think it is uwsound.exe

_____ There maybe a couple of areas where specific tunes are played. Remember this was very early days. The fact it has dynamic music is remarkable.

I prefer SBPro audio but my experience is that people prefer it as they first played it. I found the MIDI music really loud and not nearly as atmospheric as SBPro.

How do I toggle between the two?
The reason why you need the Daum SVN for best music is because it incorporates MT-32 emulation. You can also use other DosBox distributions but you'd need the standalone MUNT MT-32 emulation driver, and manually select that midipath through config, so it's more complicated.

I don't think the FM synth is bad, though. The game is perfectly fine just playing with regular Soundblaster/Adlib music - but if you're going to play UW for the first time, then I'd recommend doing it with MT-32 music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom