Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Upcoming Adventure Game Incline Thread

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, adventure games seem to be in a bit of slump lately.

Bt

Barbarian

Arcane
What happened man? There used to be at least one interesting adventure game to play every 3 to 4 months or so. This year the only game I consider interesting that is left to come out is "Devil's Men" by daedalic.

I guess there was that kickstarter boom and then things died out fast. Bummer. Btw, whatever happened to "Asylum"?

Nu King's Quest took no prisoners. Its foul stench will spread across millenia.

That, and people finally realised true adventure games are not profitable in this day and age. Even great games made by great people with die-hard convictions will fall short and not make people any money. Such people seem to be aging fast and not very inclined to work for free with responsibilities such as families, mortgages and so on.

I think we'll go back to that 2002-ish slump of getting excited about obscure adventure games from Europe, some decent, some not so much.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone else intrigued by this Shardlight? Coming 2015, not much info about it whatsoever. I like those screens, though, nice pixels!

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/shardlight/

In a post-cataclysmic world plagued by disease and hunger, a woman named Amy discovers that the all-powerful government is hiding a terrible secret. With the help of a mysterious figure, Amy will attempt to unite the oppressed, assist a revolution, and cure the plague that threatens humanity and her survival.

SL-manhole1.png

SL-train1.png

SL-market1.png

I eventually got around to playing this game. It's quite alright, 6 hours of fairly linear, yet enthralling enough, decent storytelling.

The puzzles are easy, almost non-existant, the most items I had in my inventory at any time was probably 9, and it's usually very obvious what to use at which point.
Half the time, the crossbow solves the puzzles, btw.

Anyway, ok graphics, amateurish but decent voice acting, decent writing, nice pixel graphic, good story, good atmosphere (occasionally great), very minimum backtracking, fast travel available. Again, very short (5-6 hours) but I prefer that to games that drag on too long just for the sake of dragging on (see Deponia 3).

Verdict: give it a chance.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Outreach

Set in the 1980s near the fall of the Cold War, Outreach sends players into the unforgiving grips of Earth’s orbit as a lone cosmonaut to investigate the disappearance of the crew of a covert Soviet military space station. They’ll have to explore this crippled and seemingly abandoned installation, uncovering the secrets behind the lives and fates of those surrounding it along the way.

Outreach challenges players to use their coordination and reflexes to explore a realistic zero-gravity world both inside and outside of the station. Surfaces can be pushed off of using the main character’s hands and feet for propulsion, and handrails can be grabbed to keep from flying off into the unending depths of space.

Blurring fact and fiction, Outreach’s story draws inspiration from both the history and conspiracy theories of the Cold War and Space Race. Environments, technology and objects have been recreated with meticulous detail to their real-world designs. The game also features the voice talent of Adam Harrington, known for his role as Bigby Wolf in The Wolf Among Us, and Vine performer Matthew Post.

Outreach is expected to launch in 2017 on Windows PC and Mac. For more information as it develops, please visit http://outreachgame.co.uk, or visit the game’s Steam page http://store.steampowered.com/app/501680

There IS a trailer, but it shows nothing of the game unfortunately. But it was a neat trailer. :shittydog:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Frankfurt, August 12, 2016 - Polish startup studio SuperSexySoftware* has teamed up with Deck13 (Lords of the Fallen, The Surge) to release their ambitious debut title, The Shattering. The first person psychological horror adventure will be released in 2018 on PC.

The Shattering is about a fragile mind trying to piece itself together after tragic events. The player explores the mind of a man trapped inside his self-created hell. "You have lots of horror games nowadays but they are more about jumpscares and sadly not so much about what actually scares us." says Marta Szymanska, Founder of SuperSexySoftware. "We want to change that. Our idea is to confront the player with the hidden fears that lie beneath an idyllic illusion of normalcy, only then one can truly understand the despair of the hero."

However it is not all about the mind - the psyche influences the body significantly. The character will show realistic body reactions in moments of stress and fear. To celebrate today's announcement SuperSexySoftware and Deck13 have released five fresh pre-gamescom screenshots showing off the unique style of the game.

The Shattering will be playable as a hands-on demo for members of the press at this year's gamescom.​

:M

*what in the fuck?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Paris, 16 August 2016 – As a part of Gamescom and to celebrate the beginning of digital pre-orders, Microïds and Pendulo Studios reveal a trailer for Yesterday Origins today. “We are very excited about releasing the first trailer of Yesterday Origins, our most ambitious game to date. It showcases some of the game's graphic improvements and reveals more and more about John and Pauline's quest, while keeping the game's plot and its numerous twists and turns a secret." Declare Ramón Hernáez, Director of Yesterday Origins and co-founder of Pendulo Studios.

In Yesterday Origins, you play as John Yesterday and Pauline Petit, a couple who own an antiquities shop in Paris. Although they lead an apparently normal life, John and Pauline hide a dark secret: they became immortal following an alchemistic transformation. However, not everything went according to plan for John. The potion he took during his rite was tainted, causing him to lose his memory each time he comes back to life. On a quest for his distant memories, our hero and his companion will take players on an adventure around the world and through time, alternating between past and present.

From the Spanish Inquisition to present day, from Scotland to Amsterdam or even Paris, players must solve complex puzzles and mysterious riddles to discover the origin of the immortal power that so many covet…

Fully dubbed (more than 25 main characters) and boasting an original score, the game addresses adult topics and sprinkles in saucy dialog while retaining a relaxed feel and a good dose of black humour, something Pendulo Studios does all too well. With more than 20 years’ experience in story-driven videogames, Pendulo hits the mark with its first-ever 3D game while conserving its unique graphic style. The graphic novel inspired look is enhanced for the first time by one-of-a-kind visual effects (dynamic shadows, physics engine,p etc.).
Yesterday Origins is an adventure game co-produced by Microïds and Pendulo Studios and is scheduled for release on 13 October for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC and Mac in French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch and Polish.​

This seems..... kind of interesting? The graphics are just plain awful though. :M

Humanophage

Arcane
I tried This is the Police, and it just seems like a very slow audiobook with rudimentary flash-based gameplay. It has an interesting premise, granted. Comically, it also lags on my PC, even though it can run Skyrim reasonably well. Those new indie games are often so poorly optimised.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://miragame.pl/

The music is as good as the visuals. Unfortunately it's probably just a visual novel but I want to believe.
I gave this a try, and that translation is not good. However, I'm not sure even in Polish if the story makes sense unless you already know the myths.

I think the main girl was at one time helped by some demon thing, but he wasn't allowed to help, and now she has to pick between him or some asshole military dude who stole food from the hospital for who has to die. Maybe?

Anyways, yeah it was just a VN.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Lost in Bardo
This is a story about Sam, travelling through the alleys of her mind. From tedious everyday routines to spiritual self-discovery, Sam's world is changing according to her wishes.

The game's main idea has a lot in common with Buddhist philosophy. Bardo is a Tibetan word meaning a transition, being BETWEEN something and something else. For instance, between sleep and wakefulness, or between life and death. It can be said that we all are in Bardo.

banner02.gif.4d5c6210fed263547651f6114668af50.gif

To this moment we have a demo version of the game with one chapter. It is about 30-40 minutes of gameplay.

The demo is OK.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some good art here : Apocalipsis

“Apocalipsis – Harry at the end of the world” is a unique puzzle point-and-click adventure game with action and story-driven sequences. Its beautiful hand-drawn apocalyptic graphics were inspired by Dürer’s engravings and the aesthetic of Dance Macabre.

During the game you will follow the story of Harry, for whom the loss of his beloved Zula means the end of the world. While searching for his beloved, Harry discovers deeply-hidden secrets in his memory as the world around him becomes darker and more sinister.

Discover 25 unique locations decorated with gorgeous hand-drawn graphics, combined with an offbeat soundtrack and populated with creatures from the nether world, skeletons and cannibals, who help Harry. Solve interesting puzzles, put your dexterity to the test, watch the story unfold through cutscenes and earn achievements.
Coming soon.

Septaryeth

Augur
On 13th January 2016, Detention, a horror point-and-click adventure game set in Taiwan during the 60s, is released. It's made by a Taiwanese indie studio (duh).

Greenwood high school, located in a remote mountainous area, two students found themselves trapped and vulnerable. The place they once knew has changed in unsettling ways, haunted by evil creatures. To escape, they must explore the mysterious campus filled with ominous objects and puzzles. How will they survive in this ever threatening environment? Could they return to safety in one piece?

Set in a fictitious world in the 1960s Taiwan under martial law, Detention, the story-driven atmospheric horror incorporated East Asian elements rarely used in games. Taoism, Buddhism, Chinese mythology, the game draws on local Taiwanese cultural references to tell an unique and terrifying story.

--

The trailer looks gorgeous. While the bloody tears seem overly cliche the use of local mythology is still interesting.
The only thing I recognized so far is the Heibai Wuchang.
This might catches some attention thanks to someone bringing the small island nation to international spotlight.
I'm no history buff so... it's rather hard to imagine a life before the martial law was lifted. And some of my family still have that FUCK THE POLICE mentality.

Anyway, approach with caution.
I haven't seen any review complaining about the language yet, but given how the translation of the The Gate of Firmament went... (and that was from a large studio in Taiwan)

Thoughts?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom