Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ur-Quan Masters - A Star Control 2 remake

Ugrok

Novice
I discovered it by accident... I didnt see any post on this great game so i thought i would tell you about it.

I installed it, launched it, and couldnt turn it off for 3 hours. I didnt even know about Star Control 2. Basically you wander around in the universe collecting minerals, discovering planets, doing missions, in an "old school" way - you control everything with the arrows. Your ship is fully upgradable and there is a wargame aspect and... and...

And try it. The graphics are really outdated but they have an atmosphere. Really.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Its free.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's not really a remake, but instead a port of the 3DO version to the PC (the code was made open-source, IIRC).

Anyways, I love this game so much. The dialouges are excellent and always hilarious. There's a great roster of characters and places to go, lots of cool stuff to find. It's like my goddamn dream game, well if only it was turn-based.

You should do the install that includes voice acting, it adds so much to the game and all of it is top-notch.

My only complaint about it is the combat, which can be frantic and really twitchy and annoying at times. If you could use the mouse for combat it would be a lot better.

If you like SC2/TUQM, you should really try out Space Rangers 2. It combines the best aspects of SC2 with, GASP, turn-based gameplay. Highly recommended.

Ugrok

Novice
Hehe, i already played Space Rangers 2 !

A great game indeed. I just found it too repetitive, at the end i was always doing the same "courier mission / get money / plan an attack on a system / rinse and repeat" routine...

Im only a few hours into SC 2, ill post my feelings about it later...

Balor

Arcane
Well, [:]|||[;] (welcome to a year ago or something).
It is indeed very nice remake... but I heard that it does not have endcredits video?

Severian Silk

Is there a mobile version of this game? I want something for my phone besides Final Fantasy.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Are you serious? Because there is an Android version. It's not even hard to find, it's free in the Play store.

Controls like shit though, as one would expect.

T. Reich

Arcane
Yes. Though you must've been fucking around A LOT to be able to reach it.
It's not related to Slylandro events though, and is VERY noticeable, once the doomsday coundown has begun.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been screwing around alot, and now the station commander is telling me I gotta do something about the crystal probes before they kill everything. Does this game have a time limit?

Oh yeah, that problem. If you've met Infinitron, the second time you meet him he says this:

12987.jpg

How nice to see you again, Captain.

But he actually should be saying this:

12987.jpg

How nice to see you again, Captain.
Before we go on, I have a small announcement.
As you may know, in our travels throughout the galaxy
we Melnorme have found many strange and interesting alien artifacts.
One of these devices is the MetaChron, a kind of trans-time alarm system.
In a nutshell, it warns me of future dangers by predicting its own demise
which is most likely linked to my own well being, since I keep it under my pillow.
The unit is a small pyramid and, when all is well, white in color.
But if we are proceeding along a timeline which will eventually result in the destruction of the MetaChron
the unit slowly darkens. Presumably, it will be destroyed at the same time as it turns completely black.
When we first entered this region of space, the MetaChron was white.
Now it is light gray.
At its present rate of change, something will destroy the MetaChron
in the early part of the year 2159.
In order to avoid this unpleasantness, we may be leaving just before this time
so if you have business you wish to conduct with us
I suggest you do so before January 2159, or February at the latest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've got years. Don't stress out, it's not easy to reach the time limit unless you're purposely wasting time gathering more resources than you'll ever need, or just exploring aimlessly without restoring a saved game if you don't find anything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hm, the starbase commander told me that thousands of hyperspace whatevers were discovered. Am I...fucked?

Not really. Not yet, at least.

Protip: When looking at your starmap, check to see if any of the alien races you've met are moving.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah but I'm not referring to the Spathi. You should go and find out what those thousands of hyperspace whatevers are if you don't see them yet.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They're not assholes. They're just taking a more grown-up, "welcome to the real world" view of the situation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom