Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also has better writing than 99% of games ever made.

I know I'm quoting a post older than my join date, but ffs, every time I see this thread I am reminded that VC is the greatest game I can't play.

I mean, awesome combat but the writing is actively painful. I've tried to play it three times and I simply crumble after some exceedingly retarded cutscene. I mean, Rance games are less aggressively dumb than VC.

It's like the writers feed on the pain of non-otaku audience.

The pain :negative:

Perkel

Arcane

I know I'm quoting a post older than my join date, but ffs, every time I see this thread I am reminded that VC is the greatest game I can't play.

I mean, awesome combat but the writing is actively painful. I've tried to play it three times and I simply crumble after some exceedingly retarded cutscene. I mean, Rance games are less aggressively dumb than VC.

While VC does some mistakes in writing and "looks" like it has common anime problems, VC is relatively free of anime garbage. IDK where you quit but VC is one of the better written games.

Deleted member 7219

Completely agree. There's so much bullshit about vegetables, pig creatures, and HA HA FUNNY!, fortunately the gameplay itself was fucking great.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I think the key point to understand is that vast majority of game writing is absolutely atrocious. Valkyria Chronicles at the very least feels like it has actual characters who develop in a proper manner, and Max's improbably supply of giant tanks aside for the most part it has a (standardfare) story that makes sense (for example the plot isn't figuratively AND literally kidnapped by the Joker like in Arkham City), and there is chemistry in the romance (which is more than, say, a certain studio that CATERS to a particular crowd obsessed with this stuff, and it comes off as, errrrr, fanservice)

For example, I'd say VC1 was more enjoyable storywise than for example Mass Effect 2.

So I suppose what I'm saying (and said ages ago) is that 99% of games have absolutely shit (or non-existent) storytelling. Doom could be the best vidya story ever if they just incorporated some manic adlib self-monologue to it in the vein of the legendary masterpiece-tier comic adaptation.

While VC does some mistakes in writing and "looks" like it has common anime problems, VC is relatively free of anime garbage. IDK where you quit but VC is one of the better written games.
Well there is the team mascot but that's really small and something Japs cannot help themselves with, I'd jot down a negative mark on the fact that the plot above the character-level story (the ancient secrets and ancient stuff stuff) is very standard fare (though they have the courtesy of having no prophecies, my pet hate cliche when used straight), but I think overall what makes it is that the character-level story works, there's a sense of genuine chemistry with Welkin and Alicia (and the game does take its time with this), and it has a number of bits where it diverges from the default setting for stories like Zaka's reaction to the demolished Darcsen concentration camp barracks.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I think the key point to understand is that vast majority of game writing is absolutely atrocious. Valkyria Chronicles at the very least feels like it has actual characters who develop in a proper manner, and Max's improbably supply of giant tanks aside for the most part it has a (standardfare) story that makes sense (for example the plot isn't figuratively AND literally kidnapped by the Joker like in Arkham City), and there is chemistry in the romance (which is more than, say, a certain studio that CATERS to a particular crowd obsessed with this stuff, and it comes off as, errrrr, fanservice)

For example, I'd say VC1 was more enjoyable storywise than for example Mass Effect 2.

So I suppose what I'm saying (and said ages ago) is that 99% of games have absolutely shit (or non-existent) storytelling. Doom could be the best vidya story ever if they just incorporated some manic adlib self-monologue to it in the vein of the legendary masterpiece-tier comic adaptation.

Well there is the team mascot but that's really small and something Japs cannot help themselves with, I'd jot down a negative mark on the fact that the plot above the character-level story (the ancient secrets and ancient stuff stuff) is very standard fare (though they have the courtesy of having no prophecies, my pet hate cliche when used straight), but I think overall what makes it is that the character-level story works, there's a sense of genuine chemistry with Welkin and Alicia (and the game does take its time with this), and it has a number of bits where it diverges from the default setting for stories like Zaka's reaction to the demolished Darcsen concentration camp barracks.

I get your point.... however....

VC is atrocious. Let's take another example: last anime I saw without clawing my eyes out was Yamato 2199: it's dumb and naive, and it has a shitton of Japanese things (cute sidekick, female uniforms, toodeep4you stuff) but it's honest and direct, a simple if cliched story told well. Hell, I like Automata and that's also japanese as fuck, particularly the toodeep4you refs.

VC is dumb. FLOWEEERS MY FATHER GOT A PANTHER TANK IN THE BARNYARD WAR IS BAD MMMKAY GYPSIE JEWS HAHAHA QUIRKY HUMOUR ANIMALS

Being stupid is not a problem: most games marry a serviceable plot with adequate gameplay and that's good. I can play a game where I can ignore development or the plot: ME 2 is utterly stupid, but the shooting is serviceable. VC is very good but I literally can't, it's dreg done for otakus by otakus that can seriously watch this kind of crap and tell me about "character development". Offensive in a very basic level. We're Gundam level here, and I barely managed to watch MS08 team before laughing at the ending.

I'll be blunt: the Selvaria or whatever DLC is better because the character is a nondescript stormtrooper dude blowing stuff up under a stupidly dressed hentai character. If all the game was like that, it would have been golden.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It could've been a decent hentai

Class A bitch is literally Leona Morimoto

NTCEzf5.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The notion of cadets playing a role in a Civil War due to a shortage of officers/soldiers isn't entirely divorced from reality, there are examples in history of such things occurring.

The idea that normal school life would continue alongside this impressement into the military is of course fundamentally ridiculous.

Ventidius

Arbiter
People who think VC represents the nadir of jRPG writing should really play Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah bro I'm sure that garbo "translation" is a great example.

Pickles.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's literally weeb Bridgeburners, even main character is a mentats swallowing autist. This will be best in the series.

xreJWDy.png

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also the cast of VC2, etc.

Valkyria Chronicles: Unrecorded Cameos.

Almost ruined the game for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom