Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

BreadGrill

Novice
That dog is a photoshop joke right? Right!?

The obvious advantage of a dog medic is that it'll be able to travel more distance in a single turn than a person.
I hope the dog medic is actually playable and not just a cutscene mascot animal like that winged bacon. The ragnaid canister and bag kit bodes well though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

He's producer at Atlus who "managing SEGA's JP lineup." :shittydog:

I wonder if there are politics inside the SEGA group about who should handle PC publishing of Japanese games. Atlus USA? SEGA Europe?

BreadGrill

Novice
The VC4 announcement got me motivated on working on the VC3 English Patch Fix and I managed to get all the technical stuff that stopped my progress before out of the way. Hopefully I can finish this up before VC4 gets released, but we'll see.

YZmyuLL.png

[Unknown]

Barely Literate
The VC4 announcement got me motivated on working on the VC3 English Patch Fix and I managed to get all the technical stuff that stopped my progress before out of the way. Hopefully I can finish this up before VC4 gets released, but we'll see.

Although it seems a bit of a different path, you might be interested in this effort:
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=23839

I think a direct retranslation from Japanese would be ideal, but need to find a translator still. If you look at the screenshots (https://goo.gl/pY4Y4z), you can see several translated things that the previous patch didn't do, and IMHO better text fitting in the UI. I hated VC2's crazy abbreviations...

Anyway, if you want to edit that previous translation - here's some detail on the file formats involved:
https://gist.github.com/unknownbrackets/78c4631a4091044d381432ffb7f1bae4
(you'll need this to be able to change the pointers and text lengths.)

You may also want to take the menu patch (https://goo.gl/uuZq8o), and merge some of the other improvements. But be warned: I'm pretty sure some of the data files in the other group's patch weren't from E2 or are otherwise missing changes, so merging some of the data is less straight-forward.

-[Unknown]

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Direct translation from Moon Runes is never a good idea. It just creates this crazy nonsense, nonlanguage, that only weeaboos understand. It's much better to ground the translation in European/American idioms and culture as much as possible without doing violence to the original material.

[Unknown]

Barely Literate
By direct translation - I meant not going from moon runes to Chinese and then to English. I've also read some of it may have visited Russian during that journey, but not sure if that's true. Literal translations are bad, but Google Translate Sings is even worse.

I think Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a fairly good translation, and prefer the spirit of that. The translation patch for VC3 available now is more literal, in the places where it isn't confused. A very simple example from the menu: you could equip tanks with a "Mortar" in VC1 and VC2, but the other group translated the exact same thing as "Howitzer" in VC3. It's possibly more correct, but it just doesn't jive.

The patch I'm working on follows series consistency much better, but doesn't do any dialog yet.

-[Unknown]

Deflowerer

Arcane
Question:

I want to play Valkyria Chronicles 1 for the first time. Is the whatever balance patch some fan made a good idea for a first-timer? Does it any way expect familiarity with the core game? Are there situations where the original in-game instructions / tips etc are predicated on the original balance?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Question:

I want to play Valkyria Chronicles 1 for the first time. Is the whatever balance patch some fan made a good idea for a first-timer? Does it any way expect familiarity with the core game? Are there situations where the original in-game instructions / tips etc are predicated on the original balance?
I would advise for your first time to play the game in it's original state, as the difficulty will mostly result from your unfamiliarity with the missions. While it will be on the easy side (if you are tactically-able), I would recommend you to start playing it this way.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was reading about the Imperial Onslaught mod and it seems to fix the problem with being forced to rush to finish the missions. Anybody tried it? I remembered it annoyed me that to get a high rank, you had to rush and abuse orders (or tactics, can't remember exactly the name).

hello friend

Arcane
What makes me a bit wary of the Imperial Onslaught mod is that the UI doesn't really seem to support the ammo changes. I was doing a quick hackjob to fix the scout rush thing, but after setting the turn limits I looked at the fields for specific reward distribution (mission rank, killing aces, and base reward) and thought "fuck that". So here is a mod that ONLY CHANGES turn requirements for mission rank and mission reward distribution while leaving everything else vanilla, shamelessly lifted from Imperial Onslaught. Just move game_info_field.mxe into *\Valkyria Chronicle\data\mx\ and overwrite. Very first mission has an overly generous turn limit, but that's just there to confirm mod is working.

People on these very boards seem very pleased with Gallian Crossfire, which Imperial Onslaught is based on - in rough terms Imperial Onslaught minus the ammo changes and the mission rank/reward adjustment. Based on the listed changes I imagine with good reason. I'll probably make a small modmod of that pretty soon, adding mission rank/reward adjustments and giving alicia/largo/rosie back their command points and subtracting accordingly from the maps - this second change being objectively for the worse but also being completely idiot proof, you'll have to have these characters in your squad again (And why not? They're better than regular units of the same class), but on the other hand you don't have to take care not to break your game.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

While the Steam jrpg sale is going on I'm having my eye on Valkyria Chronicles.

From what I read the stories are not connected and VC4 has overall the same, yet improved upon gameplay. Is this correct?
So I should skip over part 1 and just purchase part 4 - or has VC1 anything that makes it worth to play over VC4?

Perkel

Arcane
play 1 then play 4. Yes 4 has improved gameplay but 1 isn't "old".

I still need to finish 4 but 1st one has by far the best story/characters etc and overall theme of game.

4 tried to emulate 1st one but imho something is lacking.

As aforementioned, play VC1 first. It's the classic that blew up on Steam and heralded a wave of PC ports of JRPGs. If you finish 1 and still want more VC, then play 4.

If you enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles, consider checking out the dev team's other famous series, Sakura Wars, which is a SRPG/visual novel hybrid set in an alternate history 1920s with steampunk/magitek robots and lighthearted tone. The 5th game was even the prototype for VC1's movement system.

hello friend

Arcane
play 1 then play 4. Yes 4 has improved gameplay but 1 isn't "old".

I still need to finish 4 but 1st one has by far the best story/characters etc and overall theme of game.

4 tried to emulate 1st one but imho something is lacking.
Story and characters is dogshit, it's some anime nonsense. The gameplay is fun though.

Angelo85 use this mod for the first game if you want a vanilla experience except for being funneled into using scout rush strats all the time.

deuxhero

Arcane
I saw this bumped and thought they finally removed Denuvo. Too bad. Still not buying 4 then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom