Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

pippin

2b still going strong
incline.png

Boleskine

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1301948399257707760

The Steam Store: Our Philosophy and Next Steps
May 8 - Robin
Whenever we announce a change to the Steam Store, we're always really interested to read the discussions that follow. Obviously we see a wide range of opinions on how good a job the Store is doing, but increasingly we're seeing that people have very different ideas of what its job even is - and what it should be.

That's understandable. One of the reasons it's so hard to make a good store - one of the reasons we've been working on it for years, and one of the reasons we think we still have years of work left to do - is that it has so many jobs. It has to serve so many players whose tastes and interests are not only different, but sometimes complete opposites.

So we thought it would be useful to define what we believe success would be for the Steam Store. That way, everyone would understand what we're trying to do, and discussions could focus on what we're trying to do separately from whether or not we're doing it well enough. This distinction also helped us realize we should be collaborating more directly with the community around improving the Steam Store.

This blog post aims to start that process by being the first in a set of three that explains our thinking around the Steam Store, and our plans for how we'll improve it with Steam Direct. We're going to talk about Store's goals, and how it executes them. In the second post, we'll cover some ways the Store is being exploited, and some changes we're making to address that. Finally, in the third we'll talk about the Steam Direct publishing fee, and some features that we'll be releasing in the coming weeks.

-

So what would a successful Steam Store look like? To answer that, we need to look at all the different kinds of people who use it.

• Players who are highly connected to the online game community & conversations, and players who are totally unconnected
  • Players who browse the store looking for a game, and players who arrive already knowing the title they're looking for
  • Players who come to the store once a month, and players who visit multiple times a day
  • Players who just want to buy the latest AAA title, and players who want to search for hidden gems
  • Players who want to play titles earlier in their development, and get involved in their evolution
  • Players who want games with specific attributes, such as a type of gameplay, support for a specific technology, translation to their local language, etc
  • Developers with AAA titles that have large, existing fan bases, and developers who are barely known, yet have a game that would be a hit if players found it
  • Developers who want to build deliberately niche games, and have them find that niche audience
  • Developers who want to get community feedback earlier in the development process

We believe that a successful store would be one that treated all these people, both players and developers, in a manner that they would consider fair. Unfortunately, these groups often have competing interests, so it's important to understand that if we're not doing exactly what one group wants, it's probably because we're trying to weigh it against another group's interests. It might seem obvious that developers have some competing interests, but it's also true on the player side - some players specifically enjoy exploring Early Access titles, while others never want to see them.

And ultimately, that is why the Steam Store is a design challenge. We could make the problem a lot simpler by choosing to ignore some set of players or developers, but we think there are already stores that have chosen to do that, and it's much more interesting to try and figure out how to build a single store that works for everyone.

What's been done so far?

For a while now, the features we've been building have all been aimed at making the Store more successful for those groups of players and developers. Allowing the community to tag games into useful categories, and allowing players to filter the store to their tastes, let players control what they see in the Store. The Discovery updates helped players who came to browse the Store, and developers who had games that needed a certain kind of player to find them. Curators, Reviews, and Refunds all tried to help players and developers of niche or undiscovered games to find their audience.

Greenlight was a step towards opening Steam up to a wider range of games and developers, rather than us acting as gatekeepers trying to guess what people will like. We've seen huge successes from games we had no idea would be popular, and whole new communities have sprung up around genres that previously couldn't get on Steam at all. To us, that confirmed our suspicion that no single, small group of people should be sitting in judgement over what is and isn't a good game. We should do some basic checks to make sure the game works, and we now do that on every title - but not insert our own tastes as a filter between what developers want to make and what players want to play. We could serve one particular group of players that way, but Steam can and should serve a more diverse range of people and experiences than that.

AAA players and developers have probably had the least amount of new features applied to them, largely because our data showed that the store was already working well for them - but we have to be careful to not stop that being the case in our efforts to help all the other titles. As much as the online conversation is dominated by indie titles, there's a huge audience of players who just want to buy AAA titles.

These all feel like positive steps towards what we see as the goal for the Steam Store. But we know it isn't serving every type of player and developer as well as it could, so here's what we're focusing on next.

Exposing the Store's inner-workings

The algorithm behind the Store that's tasked with achieving the goals we've described above ultimately ends up producing this: the games you see when you load up the Store.

The Store is constantly trying to balance all the different interested groups of players and developers. It knows that it has a limited number of spaces it can use to show games to a player. It has some knowledge of the player, if the player is logged in and has a purchase / play history. It has some knowledge of the game, based on what the developer has told it and what previous purchasers of the game have said & done. It chews on all that data, and finally, decides which games it should show the player in all the various sections of the Store.

The problem with black box algorithms like this is that it's hard to know when they aren't working as intended. Did we not show a game to a player because the algorithm correctly guessed that the player wouldn't be interested in it? Or because there were other games it thought the player would be more interested in? Or just because of a bug?

We had similar problems in the Dota 2 matchmaking system, which was also a black box algorithm. We found that when we better exposed the data around the black box (in that case, the matchmaking ranks of the players), our players understood the black box better, and as a result, were able to better identify cases where it wasn't working correctly.

So we're going to do the same with the Steam Store. We want to show you more of what it's doing and why - and we have some features planned to help with this, starting with one we're launching today: an algorithm section on game pages that states why the Store thinks this game will (or will not) be interesting to you.

9e407a012b5e1a7d240dc0ae83bf8735abd14bdc.png

This section will let you see inside the black box, and understand what the Store is thinking. We hope it will be useful whenever you're exploring the Store, but in particular, whenever you've navigated from an external web page directly to a specific game's Store page. In those cases, this section will help you understand whether or not this game is something the Store would recommend to you. In other cases, you might be more or less interested in something the store recommends if you know exactly why it's recommending it. For instance, knowing that a particular friend or curator likes or dislikes a game might make it clearer whether you'd like it. Finally, if the store recommends something you know you're not interested in, you'll be able to see where its decision making is going wrong, and tell us about it.

-

Hopefully this post gives you a better understanding of what we're trying to do with the Steam Store. In our next post, we'll be covering the ways that bad actors have been gaming the Store algorithms to create revenue for themselves, which confuses our algorithms enough that it starts serving customers less effectively. We'll cover some changes that we believe should tackle the problem.

Following that, we'll talk about Steam Direct's publishing fee, and how we're approaching that decision.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's actually a really good thing considering 80% if the time I have no idea why game X is even being recommended to me. Maybe it's time to curate my curators a bit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like the end of Greenlight is nigh. That rumor about it happening in June looks about right.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Greenlight was a terrible idea. Years ago I used to find quality indie games like Torchlight in the 'coming soon' section. These days I don't even bother because it's filled with trash. Steam was far better off with Valve's staff curating it rather than opening the floodgates.

Modron

Arcane
Greenlight was a terrible idea. Years ago I used to find quality indie games like Torchlight in the 'coming soon' section. These days I don't even bother because it's filled with trash. Steam was far better off with Valve's staff curating it rather than opening the floodgates.
Steam really just needs to add screenshots to their new release list page -> http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win so you can just scroll through the deluge and visually filter out all the low effort trash. I use this: http://www.whatsonsteam.com/ once or twice a week to assess if there was potentially interesting stuff released.

Boleskine

Arcane
If the new Steam Direct fee is high enough it might be a deterrent to indie trash flooding the store.

But when Valve complains about how "the Store is being exploited" what they really mean is that they aren't satisfied by the market transaction fees they already collect. Valve wants more so I would not be surprised if the new system has a low barrier to entry and possibly makes it easier for indie asset flips to keep publishing on Steam. Valve could just take a higher cut of store and market transactions from those games.

Valve dominates digital PC gaming. They're not going to make any moves that reduce their profits.

Turjan

Arcane
Valve dominates digital PC gaming. They're not going to make any moves that reduce their profits.
That's a given, at least not on purpose. However, I have the feeling that they came to the conclusion themselves that people simply don't find anymore what they are interested in and, as a consequence, buy their games elsewhere. Making money from trading cards is nice, and it probably doesn't matter that most of those shovelware titles that clog Greenlight and the store are sold elsewhere for pennies, but it gets dangerous when people don't even look at the Steam store anymore because it's just annoying. If I look at my own purchasing history, the fraction of Steam games I actually buy on Steam has been decreasing dramatically.

Turjan

Arcane
Heh, that's a good one.

Also, the Steam algorithm knows that I hate RPGs:

Ol0kjXB.jpg

I guess I clicked "not interested" at too many free-to-play shovelware titles that were labeled with "RPG".

Zenith

Arbiter
It's a black box alright.
Checked out recent re-releases and stuff I own on GOG (since I'd definitely be interested in them).
Exhibit A:
I own a number of RPGs on Steam, including (naturally) FO1-2, VtMB and ToEE, but apparently Arcanum doesn't qualify, even though in a lot of cases "wishlisted by a friend" alone is enough to recommend me shovelware.
dskCavd.png
Exhibit B:
I probably own 90%+ of 90s shooters on Steam, including not-quite-shotters/not-quite-sims like Aquanox or Terra Nova. Definitely everything available from Monolith. Shogo doesn't fit the description I guess though. No wonder nobody noticed it got re-released.
CEB47nD.png
And it's the same shit across the board. Space Rangers would apparently only interest me because I got Omikron for free back when Bowie died, not because of other space trading games. WTF.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Last week's Steam top sellers (by revenues, microtransactions are not included).

Morgan cannot into the last man standing match, DOOMING SOULS, nowhere Nier 2B found, and Dead Cells is the only fresh cell this week:

#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
#2 - Prey
#3 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#4 - DOOM
#5 - DARK SOULS III
#6 - Grand Theft Auto V
#7 - H1Z1: King of the Kill
#8 - Dead Cells
#9 - Stellaris
#10 - Stellaris: Utopia

Dexter

Arcane
Same thing happened to me, I think it got a bit better with the "Popular New Releases" Tab/Option though eliminating most of the Shovelware clutter, although why it includes some of the games is still a conundrum e.g. "Popular New Releases" titles go from 28 April - 12 May in a single Scroll while "New Releases" goes from 12 May - 13 May: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularnew&sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win
steam-newreleases35u4s.png

Another conundrum though

http://store.steampowered.com/app/298830/Millennium_3__Cry_Wolf/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: RPG, Adventure, Indie, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/380750/Anima_Gate_of_Memories/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: RPG, Adventure
http://store.steampowered.com/app/373770/LiEat/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: RPG, Indie
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: Great Soundtrack, JRPG, RPG, Story Rich
http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: RPG, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/429660/Tales_of_Berseria/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: JRPG, RPG, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/568830/Witch_of_Ice_Kingdom/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: JRPG, RPG, Indie, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/351640/Eternal_Senia/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: RPG, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/440540/Ara_Fell/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: JRPG, RPG, Adventure, Indie
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3...a_ReBirth3_V_Generation___ReBirth3_V_CENTURY/ Recommended because you played games tagged with: JRPG, RPG, Female Protagonist
http://store.steampowered.com/app/541450/Operation_Abyss_New_Tokyo_Legacy/ Recommended by RPGCodex (Official)

I assume large parts of this is because I played Final Fantasy XIII recently among other games like Galactic Civilizations III, Endless Space, Stellaris, The Banner Saga 1/2, Grim Fandango Remastered, Dropsy, Punch Club, Westerado and The Final Station, but it does have the data and should recognize if this is a trend or a one-off thing and Recommend more accordingly. I made no other indication that I'm particularly interested in Animu games (especially of the "Indie trash/RPGMaker" variety) other than playing FFXIII, giving it a long chance and finding it extremely lacking in the end.

I also don't think it should recommend EVERYTHING via algorithm e.g. "Recommended by" or "Recommended because", it should be about half/half between that and new "interesting" Store content. Browsing without Logging in is an entirely different Store experience displaying "Now Available" and "Pre-Purchase Now" titles completely different from Recommendations, which doesn't seem like a particularly good thing.

And some "curators" I mainly picked as interest and to keep some of the shit ones from page one can recommend crap too, when others you wouldn't expect like "Christ Centered Gamers" can actually be surprisingly good or interesting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Second part of Steam "Next Steps" series: "Changes to Trading Cards": http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1954971077935370845

After the release of Trading Cards, the number of players interested in them grew significantly, until it reached the point where the demand for cards became significant enough that there was an economic opportunity worth taking advantage of. And that's when our group of bad actors arrived, aiming to make money by releasing 'fake' games on Steam.

These fake developers take advantage of a feature we provide to all developers on Steam, which is the ability to generate Steam keys for their games. They generate many thousands of these keys and hand them out to bots running Steam accounts, which then idle away in their games to collect Trading Cards. Even if no real players ever see or buy one of these fake games, their developers make money by farming cards.

:what:

Apparently it does harm even if you don't care about Trading Cards:

You might wonder why this is really an issue. After all, if no real players are buying their games, and their cards are being traded in the marketplace to players who want them, where's the harm? Isn't Valve making money from the marketplace fees on their Trading Cards? While there's truth in both of these points, the problem is that these games damage something we care about a lot, because it affects all our players - the Steam Store's algorithm.

As we mentioned in our last post, the algorithm's primary job is to chew on a lot of data about games and players, and ultimately decide which games it should show you. These Trading Card farming games produce a lot of faux data, because there's a lot of apparent player activity around them. As a result, the algorithm runs the risk of thinking that one of these games is actually a popular game that real players should see.

So we've decided to take a different approach - remove the economic incentive that's at the root of the problem.

So, their solution is introducing "confidence metric":

Here's what we're doing:

Instead of starting to drop Trading Cards the moment they arrive on Steam, we're going to move to a system where games don't start to drop cards until the game has reached a confidence metric that makes it clear it's actually being bought and played by genuine users. Once a game reaches that metric, cards will drop to all users, including all the users who've played the game prior to that point. So going forward, even if you play a game before it has Trading Cards, you'll receive cards for your playtime when the developer adds cards and reaches the confidence metric.

The confidence metric is built from a variety of pieces of data, all aimed at separating legitimate games and players from fake games and bots. You might wonder why the confidence metric will succeed at identifying fake games, when we weren't being successful at using data to prevent them getting through Greenlight. The reason is that Greenlight is used by a tiny subsection of Steam's total playerbase, producing far less data overall, which makes it more easily gamed. In addition, Greenlight only allows players to vote and comment, so that data is narrow. Steam at large allows players to interact with games in many different ways, generating a broad set of data for each game, and that makes identifying fake ones an easier task.

With this change, we hope to significantly reduce the economic incentive for the bad actors to release fake games on Steam. We're hopeful that this will have little negative impact on other developers and players, with a small number of games having a delay before their Trading Cards start to drop. On the positive side, it should significantly improve the quality of the data being fed into the Store algorithms, which is a good thing for everyone.

And for the next part of the series...:

Next post, we're going to talk about the Steam Direct publishing fee, and some other changes we'll be rolling out soon.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody linked to this Polygon piece discussing Steam and it's business practices?

You need to do more than link to it bro

Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Polygon as an organization. More on how Polygon writes opinion pieces.

The drive to be on the bleeding edge of technology powers the PC gaming community. We want nothing more than to run our ridiculously powerful rigs on barely stable beta drivers, with our CPUs overclocked to speeds that are neither advisable nor guaranteed to be safe for our systems.

It’s a good match for the ship-first-iterate-later approach of major Silicon Valley companies who want to expand at all costs and don’t care what it takes.

But companies like Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, Fiverr and the others are starting to feel the risk of that edge. The world is finally realizing that a hands-off, profit-first, tax-dodging “connection and services platform,” powered by the cheap labor of people who aren't technically employees and have no rights isn't exactly a good idea. In fact, it may be a very bad one. Whether this means government regulators finally getting their act together, unions winning court cases or citizens voting them out of town, these companies are starting to feel the downside of moving fast and breaking things.

If you were to ask the average PC gamer, they’d swear up and down that there’s no way they’d ever give their money to such a corporation. They’d not only be caught dead before helping a company like that come to power, they might even join the resistance to stop them.

And yet, that sort of operation is exactly what the PC gaming community has been supporting, promoting and defending since 2004 when Valve more or less forced us to install Steam by bundling it with Half-Life 2.

BEHIND THE SMILE
Valve didn’t always seem like the sort of corporation which thought of its customers as meaningless numbers in a colossal profit machine. How could it be, with its fierce and innovative vision for digital distribution, its stable of influential first-party titles and its approachable, meme-friendly CEO? "Look," we said to each other, "you can send Gabe Newell a funny email, and he may respond with a joke! What a good guy. Valve is good."

Perhaps Good Guy Valve did exist, at one time. But beneath the glassy smile of Good Guy Valve today lurks an altogether more cold and corporate beast, a textbook rent-seeker that is profiting from both hostile practices and a bizarrely customer-supported near monopoly on PC game sales.

cedegahtml.png

Steam looked very different in 2004
Reddit
It seems increasingly unlikely that Good Guy Valve ever existed. Good Guy Valve is a clever marketing conceit, a machine operating on a massive scale and one that can only do so because it is powered by the one thing Valve would later come to exploit above all: the free labor of adoring users and consumer goodwill that often feels both unearned and bottomless.

Valve controls an unprecedented slice of the PC gaming industry, and there can be no doubt that the power behind the throne is, and always has been, us. Good Guy Valve worked hard to make us believe that willingly installing surveillance and control software onto our computers was a morally benevolent, perhaps even righteous act — and we swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

All of this began when Valve released an easy way to keep Counter-Strike updated. And then Valve figured out it could get a lot of people using the software by making it a mandatory part of Half-Life 2. Here’s what ExtremeTech wrote in 2004:

In an unusual first for PC games, Half-Life 2 will require some form of Internet access upon installation, Valve Software’s Doug Lombardi confirmed today.

“All versions require an Internet connection upon installation” to prove the legitimacy of a player’s copy, Lombardi said. “This is for authentication/anti-piracy purposes. Once this has been completed, the owner of either the retail or the Steam version can play Half-Life 2 single player in offline mode.”

We were so young then.

Remember that even the retail version of Half-Life 2 required the installation of Steam, which means any store that sold PC software was selling you their doom with every copy of the game.

Anyone who wasn't immediately convinced it was worth it only needed a few minutes with Half-Life 2 to see the error of their ways, reaching for the gravity gun to hurl a toilet into the face of a Combine soldier, leaving the EULA unread and untouched but agreed-upon nonetheless. Innovative titles like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead cemented the decision, reassuring us that our lopsided relationship with Valve had more benefits than it did drawbacks. It was convenient. It worked. We didn’t need to think about it.

Valve bought our loyalty with cloud-saves and claims of piracy as a customer service issue. Steam gave a lot back in the early days, even when it was laying down the tracks for a lot of questionable decisions in the future. We also didn’t want anything else once we were comfortable with Steam, which is a big problem for anyone who doesn’t want to give Valve a third of every sale.

GET ‘EM WHILE THEY’RE YOUNG
Steam’s near monopoly has always been happily supported by players and even the press.

EA launched its Origin client in 2011, and demanded that we install it if we wanted to play Battlefield 3. Our collective Stockholm Syndrome for Steam kicked in en masse, and we rained hellfire on this “greedy corporation” for its temerity.

“It seems like the only redeeming feature of Origin is all the free stuff they give away,” a forum post from two years ago states. “Getting the Titanfall DLC for free was great and same with some old classic PC games like Wing Commander. But when you step back and look at the situation, it just doesn't make sense. They are giving away games, refunding the broken ones, and trying to manage all of this through a poorly designed digital game service. It only makes sense when you remember that EA is a greedy company that just wants more money and more power, which they seem to lust after in an almost blinded like fashion.”

There is almost a sense from the writing in 2011 that everyone should just roll over and accept Steam. Not wanting to give another company a big chunk of your revenue in order to use their store is characterized as wanting “more money and more power.”

“Developers have sometimes complained about Valve’s hegemony in digital distribution and wished for seriously competitive alternatives,” Geek.com wrote. “It appears that EA is taking this possibility very seriously with Origin, but it won’t exactly be to gamers’ benefit if in three years’ time all gaming PCs are running stores from Valve, EA, Blizzard, and Ubisoft at all times just so that players can access their purchases.”

Valve had all your information and was tracking your data, but it would be wrong for other companies to do so. Valve takes 30 percent of each sale on Steam, but anyone who wants to keep their own revenue is seen as “greedy.”

Screen_Shot_2017_05_11_at_10.00.58_AM.png

Look into the face of the devil
Origin
Looking back, it's strange to think how quickly even the most vocal Steam-haters came to terms with the idea of keeping Valve’s software on their computer. Eight short years after feeling concern about one forced DRM installation, we suddenly had nothing but vile contempt for another, as if being forced to use one particular monopoly-surveillance-control channel was the most natural thing in the world, but the existence of a second is untenable.

Steam is Good, and Origin is Bad. Steam is run by Good Guy Valve, and Origin is the devilspawn of EA, the Evil Corporation Who Doesn't Care About You. We know these things to be true ... right?

NO SALE, NO OWNERSHIP, NO REFUNDS
We all eventually discovered that our close, personal and entirely fictional relationship with Valve did not entitle us to any kind of refund on our purchases.

But it took the better part of a decade for enough people to start noticing that Steam's refund policy wasn't so much a “policy” as the words “eat shit and die” printed in huge size 72 font and to start raising hell about it. We were used to buying our PC games in stores, and we had recourse if they didn’t work. We could go talk to someone. Steam never provided that luxury, and it still doesn’t.

The occasional no-refund horror story was dismissed as the exception, not the rule. It didn’t cause near enough to damage the Good Guy Valve golden brand, and an incredible 11 years passed before enough people were possessed of enough indignant fury to actually complain to the authorities.

Players began noting that was Valve was doing was wildly illegal, pointing out quite accurately that under European Union law, consumers were entitled to a refund on all purchases — even for something as simple as changing their mind.

then immediately forces them to waive it if they want to purchase the game.

Eighteen months of drama unfolded in the Australian Federal Court from 2014 through 2016, as the Washington software giant used every trick in the book to stall the ongoing, inevitably damning case against it.

Valve, backed into a corner and hissing like a cat that doesn't want to go to the vet, pulled out all the stops to avoid providing the required financial information — to the point where a seemingly infuriated and exasperated Judge Edelman blasted Valve for “overkill” and issued the most politely worded legalese version of “go to hell” that anybody has ever committed to paper.

“If Valve’s private financial information is made public, Valve submits that it could make negotiations with potential business partners more difficult,” the company tried to argue. The implication is that, were anyone to find out how incredibly lucrative Steam had become, they might negotiate harder. The judge wasn’t having it.

“Even without examining the details of Valve’s net profits, it is very difficult to see how any disclosure that Valve is a highly profitable business will come as a great surprise to any fraudster, third party game developer, potential business partner, patent troll, or supplier,”Judge Edelman wrote. “There are related matters to profitability that are already public information, which were discussed without any suggestion of confidentiality in the liability hearing. Those matters include that Valve has approximately 2.2 million subscriber accounts in Australia and that it operates in many countries worldwide.”

Unsurprisingly, Good Guy Valve's defense — that they “don't operate a business in Australia,” they only sell things to Australians and take their money in return — also didn't hold up in court. In a landmark decision that set a precedent for establishing digital software as “goods,” Edelman ruled that Valve was in clear violation of Australian law and needed to cough up $3 million in fines. The language was damning.

Justice Edelman also took into account “Valve’s culture of compliance [which] was, and is, very poor”. Valve’s evidence was ‘disturbing’ to the Court because Valve ‘formed a view … that it was not subject to Australian law … and with the view that even if advice had been obtained that Valve was required to comply with the Australian law the advice might have been ignored”. He also noted that Valve had ‘contested liability on almost every imaginable point’.

A landmark victory to be sure, but when even the most conservative estimates value Valve at more than $3 billion (and that was in 2015), it's hard to imagine that Newell felt any kind of sting.

Even when Valve finally did get around to launching a refund program (a full two years after the supposedly evil EA did it!), many people quite accurately and angrily observed that the default refund option was in Steam credit, which means Valve wins either way. It's almost like Good Guy Valve just ... doesn't want you to have your money back.

The language Valve uses on Steam to this day reflects the pouty attitude the company has towards its loss in court.

European law principally provides a right of withdrawal on software sales. However, it can be and typically is excluded for boxed software that has been opened and for digitally provided content once it has been made available to the end user. This is what happens when you make a transaction on Steam: The EU statutory right of withdrawal ends the moment the content and services are added to your account.

At the same time, Steam voluntarily offers refunds to all of its customers worldwide in a way that is much more customer-friendly than our legal obligations. You can find the details here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

But Gabe, I thought we were friends?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY FREE LABOR
There is arguably no single phenomenon that more exemplifies the lopsided and abusive relationship between Good Guy Valve and its customers than the Steam Sale.

We love the Steam Sales and the discounts they bring. But perhaps even more than we love the low, low prices, we love The Sale Event itself. We love the pre-sale videos that we carefully cut together to hype each other up for the imminent spending spree. We love the in-jokes and the memes, the constant banter about the bleeding wallets and the screaming, tortured credit cards that just can't take any more.

There's a word that people use to describe “creating a sense of excitement to improve spending on an upcoming commercial event,” and that word is “marketing.” Marketing is a job, and in the real world, people get paid for it.

But in the world of Good Guy Valve we give that marketing away, for free, to a billion-dollar corporation every year (sometimes twice a year, if he asks nicely), doing our bit to help that corporation make more money during a sale event.

This is the terrifying power of Good Guy Valve. By positioning himself as the scrappy underdog who is “part of the community, rather than benevolently standing above it”, he allows us to feel good about ourselves for helping out, allows us to trick ourselves into a shared fiction of thinking we’re joining forces (as equals) in an important fight.

“We have this kind of shared desire to build these types of entertainment experience, and everyone contributes in some way,” Newell said. “Someone running a server out of their home using a DSL line on their PC is being philanthropic, but we’re colleagues of all of these people and that’s what game design needs to be.”

We’re colleagues in the sense that Valve gets our money and our labor, a topic we’ll talk more about later. We do our part with the memes, the articles and the social media posts, and our good friend Valve does the rest. The rest meaning taking our money.

And then, after all that, we don't even play the games.

A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP, WHERE WE WORK FOR FREE
Back in 2011, Good Guy Valve tore up the playbook again, showing us once and for all that they weren't an uncaring corporation — in fact they wanted nothing more than to open up their Steam Workshop and let us play around in their magical worlds of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 and, later, Counter-Strike GO.

And you can earn real money from it, they told us! Buy these items, and the 3D artists who made them will get 25 percent of the profits. We're all in this together!

Talented 3D artists surged out of the woodwork, and the airwaves were saturated with feel-good stories of creators making very decent, livable wages off the sales of Demoman swords, machine gun skins and wacky couriers.

Valve themselves eagerly trumpeted that they had paid more than $57 million to Steam Workshop creators over four years — an enormously impressive figure until you realize that it's only 25 percent of the sale price, which means Valve just made $171 million profit from ... setting up an online form where you can submit finished 3D models.

hugely frowned upon as exploitative and unjust.

Valve sells your work to other people, and they take the overwhelming majority of the money from each transaction. Everyone's a winner ... but Valve, whose running costs for the store are essentially zero, and who have just tricked you into joining their content farm, is the biggest winner. You’re putting up your time and effort, and those have a very real cost for you. Valve has lost nothing other than the sunk cost of the employee time spent maintaining the store, while gaining a lot of revenue.

The agreement itself states that you have no specific right to any payment, outside of the ability to upload the item.

“Except where otherwise provided in App-Specific Terms, you agree that Valve’s consideration of your Workshop Contribution is your full compensation, and you are not entitled to any other rights or compensation in connection with the rights granted to Valve and to other Subscribers,” the agreement states. The specific Workshop agreement also forces you to keep the sales data itself confidential. Want to tell someone how well your items are selling? Too bad.

“It's impossible for artists to live on the workshop alone anymore, something which Valve used to repeatedly brag about,” explained one prominent Workshop artist to me in an interview for this piece. Valve has just recently slashed royalties for Dota 2 creators to almost nothing, right on the eve of the next massive International tournament. According to this artist’s estimate, their share has gone down from 25 percent to more like to five percent or seven percent, and communication from Valve has been unclear or flat-out non-existent.

“Despite getting three times as many items in [to the latest Major], I'm getting a third less money,” they continue. “Things are effectively five times worse, and that's not factoring the fact that the sales themselves are worse.”

This artist has made tens of thousands of dollars from Steam Workshop item sales, and is still in love with the idea of content creation and modding, even if they're not overly optimistic about the future of the Steam Workshop. They describe their relationship with Valve's technical and tool support team as fantastic, but say there is always “zero word” on anything financial. Or, to look at things in a more cynical light: Valve is eager to provide the tools that enable you to work for free ... but always has somewhere else to be when you want to talk about payment.

“More experienced game artists, especially those at an AAA level, now find that the workshop is not worth their time anymore (and that's in light of the fact that it already was a big gamble before),” they add. “This means that the quality of the items will naturally go down. It feels like many of Valve's decisions, really: short term profit for them, but it screws over the long term viability of everyone else.”

workshop.jpg

The Dota 2 Workshop brings in a lot of money, and creators are getting less
Valve Software
Dota 2 continues to grow — not least of all because the prize money for the International tournaments is literally donated by us, the players, who purchase interactive Compendiums and Battle Passes to raise prize money for the competitors (from which Valve takes 75 percent).

When you decide to support Dota 2, Good Guy Valve takes your money, puts 25 percent into the prize pool for the players and keeps the rest for himself, and even then the prize pool was nearly $20 million in 2016. I'm sure you can do the math.

The numbers have stopped adding up. The International is a huge draw, Dota 2 is the most popular game on Steam, Steam Workshop artists are now being paid much less, and all the while Valve seems to scream blue murder if you ask impertinent questions like "Hey, listen: exactly how much money are you making?"

It gets worse. Four years ago in the Dota 2 First Blood Update, Valve announced to the world that Steam Workshop items could now be re-sold on the Steam Community Market. Item creators would receive “a share of each resale of their item,” the splash page promised, and those creators were excited at the possibilities.

The item re-sales are in full swing today, but that promised share of the profits for creators is still undelivered and Valve refuses to answer questions about where their money is. We emailed Valve for a comment on this issue before publishing the story, and have yet to hear back. After all, if you don't say anything, you can't tell a lie to the internet, right?

The artist I spoke to only agreed to being published on the condition that they remain anonymous, and the reason for that is clear: It's a fairly open secret in the creator community that our friend Good Guy Valve doesn’t take kindly to being criticized (and in fact, when the time came to finally air their concerns in public, a group of Dota 2 workshop artists decided it was safer if they created an anonymous Reddit account to do it).

I asked this Steam Workshop artist what rights they had when it came to disputing decisions or outcomes with Valve about their work.

“None,” they answered.

THE DREAM BECOMES A NIGHTMARE
Fourteen years after Half-Life 2 — a game, by the way, that will likely never see a sequel unless it can be bundled with another leverageable platform — Good Guy Valve has smiled and exploited its way to a position of astonishing power and influence.

Even on an organizational level, Good Guy Valve seemed like Dream Guy Valve, who you would kill to work for. Their famous internal handbook "leaked" in 2012, painting a beautiful picture of a free-spirited workplace where genuine creativity and absolute, unchecked innovation bubbled out like a freshwater spring in a magical forest.

Much like the ones on their famously mobile desks, the wheels on that particularly romanticized notion appear to have fallen off. Former Valve employees have come out to slam the internal culture as being a high-school like mix of cliques and backstabbing, with another engineer saying it was "the worst experience of my life" and with desk setups similar to a "panopticon prison". Valve was even slapped with a court case after one transgender employee alleged that her supervisor constantly referred to her as “it.”

In fact, one of her key complaints in that court case is that Valve fired her after she raised concerns that the company was exploiting people who loved their products, in order to provide translation services for free. Sound familiar?

This, then, is Good Guy Valve — a corporation which employs precision-engineered psychological tools to trick people into giving them money in exchange for goods they don't legally own and may never actually use while profiting from a whole lot of unpaid labor and speculative work ... but isn't “evil.”

This is the Good Guy everyone seems too afraid to call out, the toxic friend who is so popular that upsetting him will just make things worse for you, so you convince yourself he's really not that bad and that everyone else is over-reacting. Once the Good Guy illusion has disappeared, we're left with the uncomfortable truth: Valve is nothing more than one of the new breed of digital rentiers, an unapologetic platform monopolist growing rich on its 30 percent cut of every purchase — and all the while abrogating every shred of corporate or moral responsibility under the Uber-esque pretense of simply being a "platform that connects gamers to creators.”

A company which will spend what has to be millions on legal fees to avoid having to pay you $15 in refunds, but which isn't “evil.” A company which exploits, underpays, deceives, obfuscates and refuses to cooperate at nearly every turn, but would never be caught dead doing “evil.”

The imaginary Gabe, the one in our memes, is a cultural defense mechanism, a happy fiction we all invented to make us feel better about the fact that we were, and remain, willing partners in installing PC gaming's biggest, most opaque, exploitative monopoly — one which we know deep down doesn't care about us at all.

Maybe it's time for all of us to wake up.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
socialist shill said:
But companies like Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, Fiverr and the others are starting to feel the risk of that edge. The world is finally realizing that a hands-off, profit-first, tax-dodging “connection and services platform,” powered by the cheap labor of people who aren't technically employees and have no rights isn't exactly a good idea. In fact, it may be a very bad one. Whether this means government regulators finally getting their act together, unions winning court cases or citizens voting them out of town, these companies are starting to feel the downside of moving fast and breaking things.
How dare they offer people a service in exchange for money without the gubmint stealing their share.

Athos

Arcane
socialist shill said:
How dare they offer people a service in exchange for money without the gubmint stealing their share.
Maybe it's better to cut taxes on the local businesses instead of letting foreing and virtual monopolies to run amok just because they look like the "new thing".

rezaf

Cipher
It's a bit of a sensationalist piece I thought, but of course there's some truths in it also.
Nobody in their right mind will deny Valve the right to strive for profit, but their 75% cuts for everything are maybe a wee little over the top?
Also, it's always funny when people - you can see a lot of them in the comments of that article - argue Steam is not a monopoly. It's as much as a monopoly for a gaming distribution channes as Windows is a monopoly for gaming OSes.
Sure, you can pick up the occasional game on GOG or EA/UBIs clients, but a vast majority of games you are not going to play (legitimally) unless you activate them on Steam. You can buy them on GMG or Gamersgate or whatever, but in the end, Steam will be your destination.
It's a quasi monopoly, and the odds of a competitor pushing them out of business are extremely slim. The only exception I can see is if someone like Google or Amazon decided to step in - a software equivalent to what AmazonPrime is for tv shows and movies could actually be a danger.
However, at this point, I fully expect many many publishers big and small to have exclusive distribution agreements with Steam. And there's always Steamworks...

Still, for the most part - from a consumer perspective - there's little to worry about in the here and now. But it's also hard to deny that their market share gives Steam tremendous power they might be willing to leverage at some point. Remember the thing with paid-for mods...

garren

Arcane
Patron
Sorry Infinitron, I wasn't aware I was supposed to quote the whole thing.

Actually the correct procedure is to provide an archive link to the news item instead, and not link directly to Kotaku or Polygon.

Ever.

Quoting the entire article is optional.
I'd say quoting is pretty recommended, it's nice to just read the text from the forum itself, and it's another way of preserving the original article. Hell, the layout and formatting on some sites is so bad that reading here is much better too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom