Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
No. Means chinks now have access to Steam without the need of a VPN to circumvent government restrictions. That also probably means they'll be walled off from the rest of the world.

Bocian

Arcane
#10 - The Forest
#9 - Subnautica
#8 - House Flipper
#7 - Tom Clancy’s The Division
#6 - Vampyr
#5 - Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
#4 - Jurassic World Evolution
#3 - Vampyr
#2 - Raft
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

I don't understand how this game keeps occupying first place for so long - it's been up for so long, all those interested should already own it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
#10 - The Forest
#9 - Subnautica
#8 - House Flipper
#7 - Tom Clancy’s The Division
#6 - Vampyr
#5 - Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
#4 - Jurassic World Evolution
#3 - Vampyr
#2 - Raft
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

I don't understand how this game keeps occupying first place for so long - it's been up for so long, all those interested should already own it.
Be glad GTA 5 isn't on the list.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/updates/chatupdate

K1rTyrP.png
CEfAAtV.png
sqNqqcA.png
TLGRlAV.png
jJ13fqL.png
rXQ1jPt.png

https://steamcommunity.com/updates/chatupdate

Steam support ending for XP and Vista systems. Looks like the client will not run on these systems starting 1/1/19. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

Though I haven't used a system with XP or Vista in some time, it sucks if you are one of the old timers who bought games on Steam that you will now no longer be able to play (it seems).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Current year and still using XP. What can you say? You gotta at least get on with times in minimum ways.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Come on. I'm unaffected by it, and so is mostly everyone, but even a 0.22% userbase means this affects A LOT of people who will no longer be able to play the games they bought unless they buy a new computer or something. This concerns probably hundreds of thousands of people ; they're not the one the gaming press is going to talk about, but they're here, getting shafted.

This is understandable from a support point of view, but from a commercial point of view, a bit less. Those people, unless they decide to upgrade, are screwed and have effectively been "renting" their games. Just cut the rest of the features. Remove the shop if you must, the chat the community shit. But the very least you have to do is minimal legacy support to be able to fucking run your games.

There's always "offline mode", yeah, but not all games support this either.

I'm not outraged, but it's still more important than it appears to be.

Bocian

Arcane
Though I haven't used a system with XP or Vista in some time, it sucks if you are one of the old timers who bought games on Steam that you will now no longer be able to play (it seems).
And all it takes to solve it is to release some kind of a legacy client without constant, insignificant and obligatory updates. I'd probably use it over standard one even outside XP.

Gerrard

Arcane
Come on. I'm unaffected by it, and so is mostly everyone, but even a 0.22% userbase means this affects A LOT of people who will no longer be able to play the games they bought unless they buy a new computer or something. This concerns probably hundreds of thousands of people ; they're not the one the gaming press is going to talk about, but they're here, getting shafted.

This is understandable from a support point of view, but from a commercial point of view, a bit less. Those people, unless they decide to upgrade, are screwed and have effectively been "renting" their games. Just cut the rest of the features. Remove the shop if you must, the chat the community shit. But the very least you have to do is minimal legacy support to be able to fucking run your games.

There's always "offline mode", yeah, but not all games support this either.

I'm not outraged, but it's still more important than it appears to be.
Nah, I'm pretty sure 77000 people out of 35 million is not "A LOT", and that is a generous estimate considering the survey is sample based. Most web browsers stopped supporting XP and Vista long ago, good luck logging into your bank account from that, even your phone is more secure.
This is definitely a case of more work than it is worth.

Latelistener

Arcane
Aren't there games on steam that only work on XP?
I don't know about that, but I know that Call of Cthulhu: DCotE has a problem on Vista and has a whole lot of problems on 7.
I think it works more or less correctly only on XP and 2000.
Bethesda should be doing something about it but they don't give a shit.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Steam support ending for XP and Vista systems. Looks like the client will not run on these systems starting 1/1/19. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

This is why account-based DRM sucks balls.

If these XP and Vista users don't want to upgrade for whatever reason, I don't see a reason they shouldn't pirate their games. They already paid for their shit.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Those people, unless they decide to upgrade, are screwed and have effectively been "renting" their games. .

Aren't you really just renting your Steam games already? I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Valve doesn't consider the games you bought "owned" which means the consumer gets "pwned".

(See what I did there?)

Modron

Arcane
Aren't you really just renting your Steam games already? I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Valve doesn't consider the games you bought "owned" which means the consumer gets "pwned".

(See what I did there?)
It's kind of weird you get taxed on your purchases, been a long time since I rented anything do customers pay sales tax on such items normally?

Dexter

Arcane
That's not how either laws in general or purchase contracts in specific work.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Those people, unless they decide to upgrade, are screwed and have effectively been "renting" their games. .

(See what I did there?)

The last time I heard that excuse, games were half price on Steam. But GOG's been selling games for about the same price for years now, no DRM, no client required.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom