Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A vampire, a martyr, and a T-Rex walk into a bar...

#10 - The Forest
#9 - Subnautica
#8 - House Flipper
#7 - Tom Clancy’s The Division
#6 - Vampyr
#5 - Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
#4 - Jurassic World Evolution
#3 - Vampyr
#2 - Raft
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S Jurassic Raft Evolved: Online - Completely Enhanced Game of the Year Edition:

#10 - Nioh: Complete Edition
#9 - The Elder Scrolls Online
#8 - Dying Light Enhanced Edition
#7 - Raft
#6 - ARK: Survival Evolved
#5 - Jurassic World Evolution
#4 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#3 - Jurassic World Evolution
#2 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
#1 - Jurassic World Evolution

Sentinel

Arcane
1529491799057.png

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't know what's to be excited about this. This is a pro-lootbox regulation, not anti. You literally can only get items through gambling.

Yeah, they're saying that it's all right if the loot box contents can't be traded. Meaning, you can't trade unwanted items through the market. I imagine the intent of the law is to prevent people from buying lootboxes hoping for the big payoff where they get a CSGO knife skin worth a million dollars, but it creates a different issue.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/developer/obsidian
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/6879350-Larian-Studios
https://store.steampowered.com/developer/warhorsestudios
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/32967543-Spiderweb-Software/
https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/bethesda
https://store.steampowered.com/developer/Beamdog

The interesting thing about the new Steam developer pages is that each one is attached to a Steam group, which is often the studio's official internal group in which many of the developers are members. Useful for stalking. You can find the link in the "About" page. Roguey

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The interesting thing about the new Steam developer pages is that each one is attached to a Steam group, which is often the studio's official internal group in which many of the developers are members. Useful for stalking. You can find the link in the "About" page. Roguey
Bethesda isn't linking their real group. Larian's is open to the public which is just :lol: I was surprised by the number of edgy people they had there until I noticed that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S Jurassic Raft Evolved: Online - Completely Enhanced Game of the Year Edition:

#10 - Nioh: Complete Edition
#9 - The Elder Scrolls Online
#8 - Dying Light Enhanced Edition
#7 - Raft
#5 - Jurassic World Evolution
#4 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#3 - Jurassic World Evolution
#2 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
#1 - Jurassic World Evolution

Summer Sale brings usual popamoles back, in other words.... PLAYERUNKNOWN'S Grand World Evolved: Wild Link WINDOWS EDITION - Game of the Year Edition - Event Pass:

#10 - Steam Link
#9 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
#8 - Jurassic World Evolution
#7 - Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition
#5 - FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION
#4 - Jurassic World Evolution
#3 - Grand Theft Auto V
#2 - Event Pass: Sanhok (PUBG cosmetic item pack)
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Fun fact: this chart has all three most popamole-ular open world RPGs from America, Europe, and Asia, and they all are some kind of edition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is why account-based DRM sucks balls.

If these XP and Vista users don't want to upgrade for whatever reason, I don't see a reason they shouldn't pirate their games. They already paid for their shit.

While Valve has a "never mention piracy ever" policy for obvious reasons, I really doubt they care if the 1% of people affected go and pirate the games they already bought. Same for people using cracks on the 2-3% of games that don't run fine on Win7 or above. In other words they don't have to care much because it effects such a small number of people/games they'll never hear much about it from the press or anyone else. Not saying I agree with that mind you, just saying it is what it is. In a perfect world they would offer some kind of offline mode only legacy client, but as we all know it ain't a perfect world.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just spotted this:

https://barter.vg/browse/players/

All Players Per Game
Estimated number of all players for Steam games with multiple achievements.

Calculated by finding the lowest number of player that produces whole numbers of players for each achievement (percent achieved * all players). For example, if exactly 1% of players have an achievement, it would indicate that the game had a multiple of 100 players.

All players is different from owners or unit sales. For popular non-discounted games, players may be over 90% of owners, but for discounted games, players may be as low as a few percent of owners. For example, as of June 1, the all player estimate for FreeFly Burning was 694. Yet, the game sold at least 25,000 units through Go Go Bundles and Steamspy estimated 20,000 to 50,000 owners.

It appears that Steamspy has integrated it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:argh:God, I hate the new developer/publisher links. Giving cool pages for companies is all good and well, but it complicates things when you're just looking for simple game list. And some publishers set developer links to redirect to their own page, in some case even if the developer is not their own. Jesus.

And look at Arkane Studio's list (that is inside of Bethesda's page). You've enjoyed Prey and Dishonored, and want to know about their other games? What? Where's Dark Messiah? Well of course, Bethesda does not own that. You have no right to know about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:argh:God, I hate the new developer/publisher links. Giving cool pages for companies is all good and well, but it complicates things when you're just looking for simple game list. And some publishers set developer links to redirect to their own page, in some case even if the developer is not their own. Jesus.

And look at Arkane Studio's list (that is inside of Bethesda's page). You've enjoyed Prey and Dishonored, and want to know about their other games? What? Where's Dark Messiah? Well of course, Bethesda does not own that. You have no right to know about it.

Can't you still use a manual link? https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Arkane Studios

Yep.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Just spotted this:

Explanation by the one who provided source code to Steam Spy: https://medium.com/@tglaiel/using-achievement-stats-to-estimate-sales-on-steam-d18b4b635d23

Caveat:

The only caveat here is that this measures… whatever stat valve is collecting with their achievement data. It’s not quite “owners” and its not quite “players”, It doesn’t quite match up with the stat we have called “players” or “downloads” on our sales reports, it overestimates it by various amounts. I’m unsure if its collecting data for pirated copies or family sharing or whatever. The stat is still close enough to be basically just as useful as old SteamSpy was, possibly moreso since players is more useful than owners anyway when trying to figure out what people like.

The source code: https://github.com/TylerGlaiel/steamsalesestimator

deuxhero

Arcane
I really doubt it counts piracy, but it absolutely does count family sharing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom