Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're expected to use the search bar to find a particular friend, I think. There is a compact UI option that allows it to display more friends on screen though.

gaussgunner

Arcane
ITT today: yet another reason I don't use Steam.

For some reason the new chat makes my computer stutter after a while. I didn't notice the memory or cpu getting overloaded so no idea what is causing it.
First thought: embedded Chrome?

The new interface is nice but why the fuck am I getting Chrome push notifications from Steam now? Especially when the Steam client is running and showing the exact same alerts? lol.
Yup!

Fucking lazy ass devs.

Astral Rag

Arcane
More bullshit: There's no longer an offline option for friends, only "Invisible mode"

The beta client has a proper offline mode:

2ZmQJI3.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Clicker enters the chart, the Hunter stays on the top:

#10 - Raft
#9 - Enter the Gungeon
#8 - Jurassic World Evolution
#7 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#6 - Clicker Heroes 2
#5 - Event Pass: Sanhok
#4 - Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale
#3 - Grand Theft Auto V
#2 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
#1 - Monster Hunter: World

You want to close this tab immediately.

#10 - Jurassic World Evolution
#9 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#8 - Monster Hunter: World - Deluxe Kit
#7 - Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale
#6 - Raft
#5 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#4 - Grand Theft Auto V
#3 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
#2 - Monster Hunter: World
#1 - No Man's Sky

Bocian

Arcane
No. I want to laugh.
And laugh.
And laugh.

There's a saying that the same people that applaud you when you climb to the top will lead you to be hanged when you fall. I guess this time it was the other way around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/portal-2-co-writer-jay-pinkerton-seems-to-be-back-at-valve/

Portal 2 co-writer Jay Pinkerton seems to be back at Valve
He left a year ago.

Portal 2 co-writer Jay Pinkerton appears to have returned to Valve, a year after he left the company.

2017 saw an exodus of Valve writers: Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek, who wrote Portal 2 alongside Pinkerton, left in February and May respectively, and Pinkerton followed suit in June.

However, as spotted by Reddit user OWLverlord, Pinkerton is now listed on Valve's staff page, alongside a short bio, suggesting he has returned to the company for good.

As well as Portal 2, Pinkerton wrote parts of Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, as well as a lot of the ancillary stuff surrounding Valve's games, such as the TF2 comics.

As much as I'd love to see him pen the TF2 comic #7—something he is open to—I presume he'll be put to work on some of the new games Valve is working on.

I've reached out to both Valve and Pinkerton for comment.

Don Peste

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam#announcements/detail/1675787121576891113

Announcing Enhanced Steam End of Life
JULY 20 - JSHACKLES

The Enhanced Steam project started during the Winter Sale of 2012 as a way for me to help manage my own personal growing library of Steam games. Its first feature was to simply highlight games on the Steam store that I already owned, because at the time the only way to know this was to open the game’s store page and wait for it to load. It was designed to help save time when looking for deals, and it grew into a project that spanned thousands of lines of code, hundreds of features, and was translated into 26 languages.

One of my most proud accomplishments is that Enhanced Steam has had such a huge outpouring of support from fans – including those who were veterans of the gaming industry. The software has been downloaded by over six million people, all of which placed an unprecedented amount of trust in me to keep their Steam accounts safe and secure. In almost six years of administering Enhanced Steam, I have received countless offers from others to purchase distribution rights so that the new owners could sneak in advertising code or worse types of monetization and I have turned down every offer. Unfortunately, this means that Enhanced Steam has never turned a profit. The API servers have been able to stay online thanks to generous user donations and the monthly support from our Patreon pledges.

Recently, Valve has started paying attention to and has been updating the Steam storefront with regular new features and updates based on user feedback. Some of these features they’ve re-engineered based on popular Enhanced Steam features: highlighting games, displaying account totals, adding games to your cart from the wishlist, showing your wallet balance on every page, an empty cart button, and many more. In fact, Enhanced Steam 1.0’s original set of features from 2012 have been completely adopted by Valve and are now available for all Steam users to enjoy.

For the past year I’ve been working two jobs to support my family, and have still tried to devote time to updating Enhanced Steam and keeping the API servers operational. Unfortunately with Valve’s recent dedication to updating their store features, this means I would need to devote much more time to the project than I am able. There are features that need to be re-engineered and bugs introduced by Valve’s changes, and I simply don’t have the time I would like to dedicate to effectively fill the gap that continues to widen.

With all of these factors, I am today announcing Enhanced Steam’s End of Life.

What does this mean?

First of all, Enhanced Steam’s client code is open source, and can be forked by any interested party going forward. There are many features of Enhanced Steam that will simply continue working: things like calculating market totals, interface tweaks such as homepage customization, 3rd party DRM warnings, and more. Caveat being these things will continue to function normally assuming Valve doesn’t make significant changes to the pages these features are running on.

Shortly I’ll be releasing Enhanced Steam version 9.9 which will include changes that have been worked on over the past few months. It will contain bugs that will go unpatched, and will also include a link to this announcement. This will be the last official full release of Enhanced Steam.

The Enhanced Steam API servers will be discontinued on January 31st, 2019. Shortly before that happens, the server-side code (minus sensitive information such as API keys) will be released as open-source on Github. At that time, the Patreon campaign that supports Enhanced Steam will be taken down.

Also shortly before the January 31st deadline, a “stripped down” version of the client that performs only local (non-server) functions will be pushed out to Google Chrome and Firefox users that have installed the extension from those official repositories so that they can continue to function without getting server-related errors. Unfortunately this means they will also loose a substantial amount of functionality. Over the next six months, I will be reaching out to our 3rd party data providers to help ease this transition.

This will allow everyone to continue to enjoy Enhanced Steam through the end of this year’s Winter Sale and will also mark six years that the project has been active.

Final Thoughts

Again – I’ve been completely blown away by the support of Enhanced Steam’s users over the years. This isn’t a plea for people to donate more money or a push to get more Patreon subscribers, I simply don’t have the time to properly devote to the project any longer. I would prefer to do things this way rather than to sell out to a corporation who would try to exploit its users for a profit.

In the future, I would suggest users be overly-cautious of Enhanced Steam alternatives that will inevitably pop up – other similar extensions already have code that could hugely compromise it’s users Steam account security or general browser privacy. Be careful of which extensions you run, and make sure they’re from sources you trust to safeguard your information.

Finally, a special thanks to Valve and the wonderful people I’ve met there over the years thanks to Enhanced Steam. Thank you again to Enhanced Steam’s users for the trust you have placed in me and your notes of encouragement and donations over these past almost 6 years.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Valve cannot into making games: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/kerbal-developers-depart-valve.258102/

KERBAL DEVELOPERS DEPART VALVE

In mid 2017, former Valve employee Roger Lundeen revealed a group of developers from KSP - the team who developed Kerbal Space Program - had joined Valve and were working on a new Valve title.

A year on it appears that both Kasper Nahuijsen and Jose Palacios have left Valve. Interestingly, Kasper's Linkedin states he worked on "production and product ownership for an as of yet unannounced multi platform video game." Jose had no further detail from his 23 months at Valve, after leaving this week.

Both Jose and Kasper were founding members of Seven Headed Studios, alongside their ex-colleague Ted Everett - who appears to still be at Valve. We approximate around 5 other individuals who joined from Kerbal are still at Valve, too. It appears Valve allowed the team to retain ownership of the game they were working on after leaving Valve. It is unclear whether this means Valve are still working on 3 titles internally or now just 2.

DLsite soon.

They're already publishing games on Steam.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

#10 - Jurassic World Evolution
#9 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#8 - Monster Hunter: World - Deluxe Kit
#7 - Islands of Nyne: Battle Royale
#6 - Raft
#5 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#4 - Grand Theft Auto V
#1 - No Man's Sky

Sean Murray is still the strongest man in the world, beating yakuza, American gangs, the Rainbow team, counter terrorists, monster hunters, Nordic warriors, battle royale participants, and even farmers.

#10 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#9 - Monster Hunter: World - Deluxe Kit
#8 - Stardew Valley
#6 - Yakuza 0
#5 - Rend
#4 - Grand Theft Auto V
#1 - No Man's Sky

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how do i turn off these fucking autostreams that are now popping up on every fucking page when I'm browsing the store. who the fuck thought they were a good idea?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sean Murray is still the strongest man in the world, beating yakuza, American gangs, the Rainbow team, counter terrorists, monster hunters, Nordic warriors, battle royale participants, and even farmers.

#10 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
#9 - Monster Hunter: World - Deluxe Kit
#8 - Stardew Valley
#6 - Yakuza 0
#5 - Rend
#4 - Grand Theft Auto V
#1 - No Man's Sky

The hunt is on.

#10 - DOOM
#9 - Overcooked! 2
#8 - Grand Theft Auto V
#7 - Sniper Elite 4
#6 - Dead Cells
#5 - Monster Hunter: World - Deluxe Kit
#4 - No Man's Sky
#2 - Monster Hunter: World [pre-order]
#1 - MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
You know what fascinates me? The bestsellers are actually games, you know where you actively really do stuff: Minecraft, PUBG that Valley game. But year after year big companies shove that obnoxious cinematic experiences which costs many millions dollars to produce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom