Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Absolutely loathed the comic for becoming a soap opera within the first few comics and while somewhat enjoying the first series on tv I can't be bothered to go and watch the second. Still, zombies yo. So, anyone played it? Looks like it might be one of those fun but very flawed games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It seems TellTale keeps getting projects from Publishers that what QTE interactive stories (which I believe this is) so not really interested. Maybe someday a Publisher will approach them to make, oh I don't know... maybe an Adventure Game....

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Plays a lot like one of those 'choose your adventure' books from way back then. I must admit I enjoy it. Thoroughly typical/stereotype zombie story and all that so far though. Will wait for a patch, the cutscenes got parkinsons.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got rid of the cutscene Parkinsons by turning shadows down to low. Game runs like a charm now. Got back to it since I do dig postapoc and zombie stuff and wanted to give it a decent chance. Writing is solid so far, seems filled with c&c, gameplay a mix of conversations with adventure parts and quicktime events. Reminds me a bit of the beginning of Fahrenheit. As I said, very 'choose your own adventure' like. Had a great big lol at the sheer over the top brutality of some of the scenes. Butchering the zombified aunt of a child in front of the kid? Why not? Controlls are defenitely tailor made for a gamepad. With it it plays nice, mouse is sheer shit however. Voice acting is nice but sound quality is not so good. Graphic style is nice but the engine is old. Lots of little niggles and quite a few small bugs along the way.

Still, I'm enjoying it. Enough to actually buy.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm interested to see how the C&C shakes out. They claim there'll be fairly major differences by the last episode, but who the fuck knows if they'll live up to that.

Deleted member 7219

Well I'm really enjoying it. I tried watching the TV series but gave up after the second episode (incredibly dull, start ripped off from Day of the Triffids/28 Days Later, everyone seemed to be more worried about their relationships than the zombie apocalypse going on around them), although I will give it another go. But this game is based on the comics. At first I thought the graphics were awful, then I realised they are stylised, and they actually look pretty good. I love the main character and the storyline he's got going on with that kid. Only thing I would say is, they need to get rid of the timed conversations. Imagine if in Fallout or Planescape Torment there was a little shrinking bar, it would have completely spoiled the choices in that game. Well, it is spoiling this.

Deleted member 7219

I'm interested to see how the C&C shakes out. They claim there'll be fairly major differences by the last episode, but who the fuck knows if they'll live up to that.

Bioware said that about Mass Effect 3 and look how that turned out. And before anyone says, "Telltale aren't Bioware", I'd point them to Back to the Future, which was a complete waste of the license, and Jurassic Park, which I haven't played but a lot of people say was terrible.

EG

Nullified
Does it largely play like a rhythm game( jab > > > < ^ ^ > > plunge off cliff), as their Jurassic Park one did?

joeydohn

Savant
I guess this is a bit of a spoiler but it's only 8 minutes in, watch from 8:00 or so until he shoots the gun.

My immersion was totally ruined, why do game devs continue to do such awful things?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, it is spoiling this.

I actually like that it pressures you to make a choice and do it quickly. So far most of them also happen during high pressure events. Fits within the material and keeps the player on his toes. Also like that while your main character is a trope it's fun to be the 'shady' character for once.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
EDITED FOR CLARITY

I made the major choice, to quickly discover it to be 100% Biowarian, as expected. The person I chose not to save was immediately saved by another NPC. The person I chose to save was killed.

The voice acting is good, though, and for a low-poly game it looks good.

Too bad the built-in antialiasing doesn't do anything, and the game no longer complies to driver-level AA like Back To The Future series did.

EG

Nullified
Maybe it's a conspiracy -- They're doing what ever they can to ensure we dislike games.

The Government knows we're fat because of them.

(Doesn't look too terrible, beyond the giant cursor, the red border, ninja-zombie suddenly ultra-slow, reasoning zombies -- can't get through fence. Let's go round, boys! --, and . . . rhythm game -YYYYYYYYYYY win! Y-A-AAAAAAAAAAAA A-A-A win! )

Multi-headed Cow

Ended up getting this as an early birthday present (Fuck yeah being a manchild and others know it!) and haven't quite finished my first run through, but I'm liking it quite a bit. Writing's alright, voice acting is mostly pretty good, story is generic zombie apocalypse but seems executed well. Adventure elements seem to be non-existent so far (Though I have it set so I get the C&C "SO AND SO WILL REMEMBER THIS" alerts, but don't have the white balls over usable objects) since there's not really any puzzling. IF they do the C&C well that could be a cool adventurey thing, but even if they don't it looks like it'll be entertaining if zombies float your boat.
Graphics are pretty nice. They're not lipsynced very well and you'll get noticeably low quality textures, but since it's comic-y and stylized it's not a big deal and should age quite well.

One thing that stuck out to me in my initial playthrough, the dialog doesn't seem to always mesh correctly. In the cop car ride in the beginning my guy didn't seem to go for the answer I selected, and I've had a few instances where dialog seems to kinda snap on/off, and one or two instances of a character saying two different things at once. Also one spoilery dialog mishap (Which seems even weirder given what Shihonage was talking about (I think).
When we pulled in to town after the truck ran out of gas, we got saved by some chick with a gun shooting a zombie off the little boy. When we entered the building and everyone started arguing, the big nosed angry father of the chick with he gun said something along the lines of "I just see one little girl!" when I said "We have children". Considering he makes such a big deal about the little boy possibly being bitten, that seemed weird. Also disappointed to hear you can't let the little boy die. I guess it's possible you'll get a "Little boy's father will remember you didn't try to save his kid first" C&C blurb if you don't try saving him, but since I haven't done that yet I'm not sure.

Anyway, yeah. Game seems neat. Probably not $25 neat unless the C&C really pays off down the line.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah in the car ride the dialogue just kept snapping off. It was comical to see the driver react to something I didn't say, or select something coherent and have my guy say "Mrrpphhhh" instead.

Btw setting Anisotropy to 16x in driver settings really makes a ton of difference with games like these.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just finished the first episode. Had a lot of fun with it but it is extremely short. Think it took me about 2 hours tops. Hope they'll keep the quality consistent since I really enjoyed the game so far despite the niggles. However keep in mind that I'm one of those people that really enjoyed the start of Fahrenheit.

That the big bad dad with heart condition basically tries to murder me and then calls me a murderer later on without me being able to grind his face into a fine paste is fucking galling though. Also, wasn't pizza asian dude from the tv series?

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah, both Glenn (the azn) and Hershel (the old farm-owner) were from the tv show, although we didn't really get to see the rest of Hershel's family, or friends. The coincidence is just too big for him not to be the same Hershel from the tv show/comic book. It felt creepy sleeping in the barn in which the zombies'll be kept, as well as seeing the first member of his family dying, and knowing that he'll be taken in that barn.

Yeah, the game was really fun, I really like the protagonist, and Clementine has got to be the cutest girl I've seen in a videogame in a while; I actually didn't get mad on her acting like a child, TT managed to not overdo that part, which is a huge plus for me. The sound quality was pretty lacking though, I wonder what that's all about. In any case, I'm pretty excited to play episode 2, which'll be coming out in May, i guess?

Deleted member 7219

Completed it too. Really enjoyed it. The story and the characters are really good, the visual presentation is really well done, biggest problem for me are the audio issues. While I haven't had any stuttering or skipping, the quality is obviously low, and it is quite distracting.

Also:

Kenny's behaviour as we left the shop really pissed me off. He saved my ass but then he said, "Even if you are an asshole". Huh? I've been nice to him and his family, back at the ranch I even said, "It's nobody's fault!". I've taken the time to talk to them, make sure they're ok, I gave his kid an energy bar. So don't fucking call me an asshole, bitch!

Also, if I don't get the option to kill that fat old guy (father of one of those two women), I'll be pissed off. He's a cunt and a half.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, the game was really fun, I really like the protagonist, and Clementine has got to be the cutest girl I've seen in a videogame in a while; I actually didn't get mad on her acting like a child, TT managed to not overdo that part, which is a huge plus for me.

Completely agree with this. Really found myself caring for her almost straight away. Usually I expect to just want to toss the child aside like a rag doll the moment they become a burden, but not this girl. I'm gonna destroy anyone who tries to mess with her.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
hmmmm maybe I'll pick this up on my PS3, since (again) it seems the PC controls suck ass apparently....

Deleted member 7219

hmmmm maybe I'll pick this up on my PS3, since (again) it seems the PC controls suck ass apparently....

You can just play it with a controller. I used an Xbox 360 controller once I realised it couldn't really be placed with M&K.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yep. I don't see the point in having a controller. They should properly port and do good controls for the PC. Which has been TellTales biggest flaw since.... forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom