Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

Name

Cipher
The game is still better than other 90% games in writing department, so if you played more than 10% of games, you have to lower your expectation.

On the last choice, I'm curious
why overwhelming number of players (near 85%) chose to cut the arm immediately. That doesn't make sense to me. Just cutting it in the middle of zombie herd will draw both attention from girl screaming and the blood loss will hinder her movement. It's like the situation with Pete, he said that even if he cut his leg, he would die because blood loss trapping inside that place. So... I don't know... It's like the choice was designed to not matter the same as Lee's situation.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The game is still better than other 90% games in writing department, so if you played more than 10% of games, you have to lower your expectation.

why overwhelming number of players (near 85%) chose to cut the arm immediately. That doesn't make sense to me. Just cutting it in the middle of zombie herd will draw both attention from girl screaming and the blood loss will hinder her movement. It's like the situation with Pete, he said that even if he cut his leg, he would die because blood loss trapping inside that place. So... I don't know... It's like the choice was designed to not matter the same as Lee's situation.

Reggie mentioned that he was saved by having the arm cut off right away. Lee could cut off his arm after walking several city blocks. Blood loss is still likely to be severe, likely resulting in the choice not mattering.

Name

Cipher

Reggie mentioned that he was saved by having the arm cut off right away. Lee could cut off his arm after walking several city blocks. Blood loss is still likely to be severe, likely resulting in the choice not mattering.

I always thought Lee is too slow to cut it. He should have just head in the house and find something to cut it off. I already forget why they have to go to the vault to cut it.
I remember in the TV show they spent some time to relocate and cut
Hershel's leg. I don't know.
Anyway the whole amputation thing doesn't make sense in the first place. (I don't know what's it like in the comics, don't have dough to read up all those back issues.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

I always thought Lee is too slow to cut it. He should have just head in the house and find something to cut it off. I already forget why they have to go to the vault to cut it.
I remember in the TV show they spent some time to relocate and cut
Hershel's leg. I don't know.
Anyway the whole amputation thing doesn't make sense in the first place. (I don't know what's it like in the comics, don't have dough to read up all those back issues.

Yeah, the whole Lee bite thing was stupid, they had no reason not to try and cut it earlier. A lot about Season 1 was stupid, but then, there's a lot of stupid and that's what makes me keeping "playing" in an ironic douchebag hipster way.

I don't remember amputation working in the comics, but I don't really remember much of anything about them, they got really awful and repetitive fast.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The problem is that Walking Dead *only* has writing going for it. I can play Doom and enjoy it and it doesn't matter that the "writing" exists entirely of a few paragraphs about demons invading. With the Walking Dead if the writing doesn't click the entire thing doesn't work and when your argument is "it's in the top 10% of video games". Well, that's basically the definition of damning with faint praise.

Also, there are over 3000 games on Steam right now. If we assume Steam has half of all games ever made that means you could play 600 games with equal or better writing that might also feature gameplay!

Name

Cipher
The problem is that Walking Dead *only* has writing going for it. I can play Doom and enjoy it and it doesn't matter that the "writing" exists entirely of a few paragraphs about demons invading. With the Walking Dead if the writing doesn't click the entire thing doesn't work and when your argument is "it's in the top 10% of video games". Well, that's basically the definition of damning with faint praise.

Also, there are over 3000 games on Steam right now. If we assume Steam has half of all games ever made that means you could play 600 games with equal or better writing that might also feature gameplay!

Man no need to get technical, I was citing 90% from sturgeon's law. And I was assuming he's a storyfag so he only plays story-heavy games.
The point is when you think Walking Dead has awful writing, it's because you have too high a standard. And the world is wrong.
And he should be happy to play games with his wife! That's really lovely!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man no need to get technical, I was citing 90% from sturgeon's law. And I was assuming he's a storyfag so he only plays story-heavy games.
The point is when you think Walking Dead has awful writing, it's because you have too high a standard. And the world is wrong.
And he should be happy to play games with his wife! That's really lovely!
I actually think WD has pretty average writing. It has potential, but is undone by it's super-manipulative nature.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

That was far from my experience from playing the first couple hours. Maybe it gets better.

Name

Cipher
I'm comparing Walking Dead to all fruits because I assume you have consumed most of the apples to be so desperate to play Walking Dead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Watched it. Again, not a single puzzle unless you count turning on the PA system. There's more quicktime button mashing moments then there are dialog choices.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Ugh, reinstalled recently and forgot to take a back-up of my save. That's 1.5 seasons of walking dead progress down the drain. Just got random crap instead. Some people dead in this new save that were alive in my old one. Oh well.
Good thing the choices are all meaningless anyway.:troll:

Too bad about
Michael Madsen. I really like his voice work.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's done in basically the same way to around three of the main survivors thus far, except out of that three a grand total of one has survived the amputation due to them being able to get him to someone with medical experience and an infirmary with necessary medical equipment. Other two died in fairly short order due to infections. Not the zombie kind, the kind you get when you cut someone's limb off with the same, unsterilised equipment you've been using to slice rotting corpses to pieces with.

Vibalist

Arcane
I always kind of thought the amputation thing was just introduced as a way to make a character face the horrible choice of either maiming themselves or turning into a zombie. It doesn't make sense on a technical level, but it introduces a nice and horrible dilemma that leads to much drama (tm).

And in regards to Reggie
was I the only one who thought he may not have gotten bitten at all? Carver's camp had such a creepy atmosphere that I immediately suspected they might've just cut off his arm because they're sadists and wanted to punish him for helping Luke and the others escape.

Also, I'm still tired of characters dying constantly. It would be nicer to have a core group of characters that stuck around for a while. This will also make it much more impactful when someone does bite the bullet.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I dunno, when I played through Season 1 all in one sitting it seemed a lot more fun and engrossing. When the episodes are drip fed they can't actually seem to stand up on their own. Nothing really happens.
Also, I see that all of my choices from 400 days seem to have been disregarded as well.

Deleted member 7219

I dunno, when I played through Season 1 all in one sitting it seemed a lot more fun and engrossing. When the episodes are drip fed they can't actually seem to stand up on their own. Nothing really happens.
Also, I see that all of my choices from 400 days seem to have been disregarded as well.

When importing the season 1 save it should have told you if it picked up 400 days or not.

Dexter

Arcane
Played the first three episodes, the first two definitely were worse than Season 1 overall although still interesting, but the third episode was some serious incline. Just wish they would do less QTEs and more "explorey" bits, they seem to be going the other way though even when compared to Season 1.

If people are to be believed Episode 4 is supposed to come out mid July: http://steamcommunity.com/app/261030/discussions/0/522730701625690643/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy shit, has it really been two months since the release of the last episode? Telltale is pathetic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Give us money up front for episodic games... and we'll release the episodes on a regular basis whenever we feel like it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Watched it on YouTube. Even watched part of an 'alternate choice' one and... there's no difference. Despite your decisions all of the major situations resolve themselves in the same way. The ending is exactly the same despite at least one seemingly significant choice in dealing with someone earlier in the episode. Again, no puzzles other than randomly click on objects and the obligatory QTE's. Shit is a farce. Still mildly entertaining to watch but why people pay for this is beyond me.

Also, not sure what took them more than two months to poop this out. There's literally nothing to design other than the story.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
We must keep the baby alive! Bla bla bla. Why is there no choice to dump that stupid pregnant chick and later her baby? Everyone is like "The baby, it is holy! We must protect it!". Also, there is a shitload of strong/heroic super woman in this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom