Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Do they really have to shove that social justice schtick into every gaming website article there is? Constantly being told what is and is not acceptable is offensive. Especially now that I get the distinct feeling that these writers are actively looking for stuff to write about. What pisses me off most is that I not for a second believe it is done out of any ideal but simply to garner more hits. Cynical hypocrisy is a disgusting thing to behold.

If they feel the need to address wrongs in their industry they just might want to take a peek into the mirror and do something about the state that gaming 'journalism' is in. Otherwise can we just talk about games?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's the same retardation as the old grumpy grandma's who want to censor school libraries, assholes that go to throw feces at a theater group for performing something offensive, angry religious groups that call for a boycott of a movie or those who lobby to remove violence from gaming. It's shit from those who feel it is their moral perogative to tell everyone else what to do and should thus be mocked at every turn.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do they really have to shove that social justice schtick into every gaming website article there is?

Yes, because it's the hip thing to do at the moment, as undecaf said, and also because 90% of them live in San Francisco, New York and London, and got Liberal Arts degrees. They think this shit is the most important shit ever.

Visbhume

Prophet
The fact that people can take moral offense at what folks do in a video game (which, you know, is not reality), boggles my mind.

Not that difficult to understand. Say I'm a member of group X. If I heard some dudebros at the office chortling about how much they enjoyed murdering Xs in some game, I would get offended. At the very least it would be callous on their part.

Or better yet, imagine you are a member of group X who is also a parent. You discover that the "kill-the-Xs" game has suddenly become popular among the non-X children of your son's school. Wouldn't you be ever slightly offended, or concerned?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not that difficult to understand. Say I'm a member of group X. If I heard some dudebros at the office chortling about how much they enjoyed murdering Xs in some game, I would get offended. At the very least it would be callous on their part.

Or better yet, imagine you are a member of group X who is also a parent. You discover that the "kill-the-Xs" game has suddenly become popular among the non-X children of your son's school. Wouldn't you be ever slightly offended, or concerned?

The problem is it's a stupid comedy video that includes shit like killing people for being into a bad movie or whatever. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's not Nazi propaganda. She took it seriously because she's looking to be offended by such things, because a) she gets lots of website hits for doing so, b) she's bisexual and polyamorous and feels like everyone in the world needs to give her a thumbs up for that, and c) she got a Liberal Arts degree and probably lives in a big city and has all Liberal friends who think this shit is SUPER important to talk about while they eat salad.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
It's the same retardation as the old grumpy grandma's who want to censor school libraries, assholes that go to throw feces at a theater group for performing something offensive, angry religious groups that call for a boycott of a movie or those who lobby to remove violence from gaming. It's shit from those who feel it is their moral perogative to tell everyone else what to do and should thus be mocked at every turn.
Sjw game journos are a bit different beast than these "old grandmas". The religious/conservative fucks are usually ingnorant of the subject their criticizing. Like they don't listen to heavy metal, they don't "get it" but there are inverted crosses and occult bullshit in the lyrics so it must be "evil". Same with games, your usual moral guardian doesn't play games and thinks that killing in a game="supreme gentelman" in the making. The sjws play games, they know that someone who is killing people in GTA is not going to do the same IRL but at the same time are outraged by a game that involves killing their precious minorities/special snowflake groups(the Watchdogs thing is not the first time this happens). Sometimes it's "just a game" and sometimes is super serious business. They must be fucked up in the head, no other explanation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Considering how clueless most of them seem to be about gaming I'd say they're the exact same breed. Seriously though, I agree it's prolly some bizarro mix of hipster and cynical hit gathering. Nothing drums up attention as good as outrage afteral. I'd just wish they'd stop cramming their bullshit into my face.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What, you mean buy a game that requires me to load 2-3 clients before I get to the actual game executable?

I've been considering it, though I made an exception for MMX some months ago.
No, I mean posting the worst of the worst in webcomics.

I think many gamejournos simply don't like their job very much, which causes them to try and make it more like "serious" journalism.

You see, I'm not just talking about games, I'm talking about SOCIAL ISSUES and STATUS QUO and

It helps that the tabloid feel attracts more readers, as well.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I think many gamejournos simply don't like their job very much, which causes them to try and make it more like "serious" journalism.

You see, I'm not just talking about games, I'm talking about SOCIAL ISSUES and STATUS QUO and

It helps that the tabloid feel attracts more readers, as well.

You may be right.

But there are plenty of legitimate topics that I would consider "serious journalism" that gaming journalists could cover.

You know, stuff like games being released that are ridiculously unoptimized. Or are missing many of the features promised in their original demos. Or are so buggy that they're barely playable.

No need to dip into this SJW crap.

spectre

Arcane
No need to dip into this SJW crap.
Oooh, that's the problem you see, SJW shit is what you should totally go for when you want to go "serious fucking journalism" without having any sort of real knowledge.
With SJW, anybody can feel like an expert and the discussion will seem "relevant".

If you'd want to go into some gaming technicalities, let's say optimization, you either regurgitate the obvious stuff that everyone's had heard about (I hear dat GTA4 PC port was pretty damn unoptimized)
or you would actually need to demonstrate some knowledge of the subject, and what's worst, so would the reader. Both seem to be way beyond the comfort zone of both, so SJW is what we get.

Let's not forget, it's fair to assume that the major gaming journalism is, directly or indirectly, on the AAA payroll. SJW is as "controversial" and "relevant" as they would allow, whereas missing features and bugs... well, why would you be talking about that?
That above article is practically and advert. Codexers will now be all GOTY, whreas "normals" will be: oh boy, I would never do such thing. Or maybe just kill the bad guys. I'll have to look more into this dog watching thing.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
:lol:

Already?

59adb1b3e6.png

TheGreatOne

Arcane
What's with the iPhone bullshit? I hate this "progress", I miss the times when cyberpunk/hacking games were about connecting your brains to a computer. Fuck smart phones, social networks, Kotaku, RPS and this whole decade. I'd rather endure the Halo bros of 2004 than this shit. These god damn social justice warrior hipster video game "journalists" are infinitely worse than retarded frat boys who just want to play games. This is the third time within like 2 weeks that I've been dumbfounded by a Kotaku/RPS review/article posted here. I really should stop visiting this site because being exposed to that garbage is harmful to my mental health. It's better off playing old games, reading old articles, following retro gaming youtube channels and living in a bubble than to loose your sanity/become violent by watching the world crumble around you.
bloodnet_057.jpg

bloodnet_068.jpg

Ha, just found this. Patricia Hernandez article about Fallout 2 and her struggle with sexual development / gender roles as a teenager.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/gaming-made-me-fallout-2/
"The village my character is from is “backwards”
No, the village you're from is backwards. Savages are savages.
If history class taught me about the United State’s horrific past, Fallout 2 projected a possible future that scared me, made the archetypal elements of “being American” seem too gross to want to aspire to.
It's very ironic how one of Codex's favorite games would help to turn that liberal cretin into everything that many Codex members despise (though most people agree that F1>F2). Then again, many of the older computer game developers are probably more liberal than the younger generation that grew up playing their games and browsing the internet.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Its actually a pretty good review. He might be an idiot but he's sincere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom