Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Do we seriously need to post the "Why Fallout 3 is Awesome" picture again?

Xeon

Augur
He streams his playthrough before reviewing the games I think. I only watched a little bit of his stream of Killzone and his review was kinda similar to what I saw during the stream.

His skits are pretty annoying!

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got around to playing and finishing this. I liked it as a whole and had more fun with it than with GTA 5.

But if you are fatigued with open world crime games, stay away. WD does not break any new ground, and is merely another solid entry in a genre that is still chained to 2001 game design. It differentiates itself from other games in a few ways (more on that later), but as with other games in this genre, the stuff you do in missions and in the open world feel separated from each other.

The ability to stealth through most of the missions is the game's biggest advantage over GTA's mission design. WD does not have the same bombastic moments as GTA 5's heists missions, but WD's missions play out much more dynamically due to the stealth gameplay; each stealth mission felt like a new puzzle to solve, whereas in GTA 5, I grew fatigued mowing down wave after wave of enemies who appeared at the same scripted moment every single time. Some of the missions are also deceptively open. For instance, there is a mission late in the game where you are required to issue squad commands to a character to help them navigate out of a warehouse full of soldiers. Littered throughout the warehouse are various cameras that give you vision of the enemy patrols. You have to keep jumping from one camera to another to keep track of all the enemies while guiding your charge to safety. Suppose you don't have the patience for this, you can explore the perimeter of the warehouse, gain entry into the warehouse and just knock out every single guard yourself. Or you could cause fire your weapon, drawing the guards to you in the ensuing ruckus while hoping that the other character does not die in the crossfire.

The stealth systems in place are functional but underdeveloped. Guards have three states: normal, investigative and alerted. They also have set patrol paths and the ability to call in for reinforcements (which you can jam) if they spot you. The player has the ability to distract guards by luring them using remote sounds. Apart from that the player can knockout enemies. Compared to other stealth games, it was disappointing that there were not more options or gadgets to facilitate ghosting gameplay (not counting the game breaking silenced weapons).

The other differentiation is the hacking. It doesn't play that big a role in combat apart from some environmental interaction, but it gives more options during chases. High speed chases in most other games involve cutting across back alleys to evade pursuers or ramming the pursuers off the road. In WD, the ability to hack gives the player at least 4 or 5 more extra choices to evade pursuers, which makes chases more fun. That said, I still find it difficult to suspend my sense of disbelief at the hacking's ability to conveniently predict crimes before they take place.

The side missions and other activities are comparable to what's there in GTA 5: nothing spectacular, but varied enough to make use of the game's strengths of high speed chases and stealth/combat options. You won't find any of the insanity from Saints Row 2's side missions here. A lot of the Ubi collectathon bullshit makes an appearance here, but I ignored them. A couple of activities -- unlocking towers and QR scan codes -- actually focus on exploration, which is a plus. Figuring out how to climb the towers is not always readily apparent, and the scan codes require you to view the environment from a particular angle such that the environment forms a pattern of a scan code. Last thing to add about side missions is that they are integrated into the main narrative for the most part, which justifies why the main character does them, unlike in many of Rockstar's games.

The main story relies so heavily on foreshadowing that it's possible to predict a few key moments well in advance. Despite being predictable, the story is briskly-paced and well-executed. Thankfully, the main character is not an errand boy who carries out dirty tasks for no reason, which is not something I can say of recent Rockstar narratives. The character's motivations and personal stakes in the conflict are clearly defined during the course of the story and through his own internal monologues. Dialogues are well-written and even the sombre moments are presented in a believable way without any cringe factor, which is a plus.

All in all, it's not very ambitious, but it accomplishes what it set out to do for the most part. If you are on a pc, wait for the supposed performance patch to hit before playing it since it runs like dog shit if you crank up the settings.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Just look at his reviews. When has he ever deviated from the popular opinion that can be found on sites like IGN/Gamespot/NeoGAF?
I don't know, maybe here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUHOqaC5_A&t=8m25s (the IGN reviewer even got pissed off at him on Twitter)? Judging by the reviews I've seen, he has no problems with criticizing flaws of even the most popular and most hyped games, flaws which were not even mentioned in other mainstream reviews. My view on him is that he is a mainstream gamer and reviewer (with a bit of hardcore and old school streak - for example, he loves the original X-COM) who isn't afraid of criticizing anything he doesn't like, because he doesn't have to care about publisher advertisement money.

His reviews often comes days after release so that he can see what everyone is saying about the game before he reviews it.
This is the kind of accusation I was talking about - take some fact ("His reviews often comes days after release") and then arbitrarily interpret it in a negative way ("so that he can see what everyone is saying about the game before he reviews it"). In order for it to have any legs to stand on, you would have to prove that his real opinions about particular games are different than opinions presented in his reviews. If, for example, you say that he gave positive reviews to Fallout 3 and Skyrim only because the fans wanted it, then you basically say that in reality he didn't like Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and that is something you have to prove.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Fuck this unoptimized piece of shit, while my newly bought HD7950 3GB can take this game, no sweat, on Ultra (even then it still looks like shit) it somehow managed to overheat my i5 2500 with standard cooling and crash the whole system. This is the first for me, no wonder the requirements for CPU are so high, otherwise this shit wouldn't be able to run properly.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Fuck this unoptimized piece of shit, while my newly bought HD7950 3GB can take this game, no sweat, on Ultra (even then it still looks like shit) it somehow managed to overheat my i5 2500 with standard cooling and crash the whole system. This is the first for me, no wonder the requirements for CPU are so high, otherwise this shit wouldn't be able to run properly.

That is unlikely, since mondern cpus have a thermal throttling feature that dials down the clock speed if core temps reach 90-100 C or so. In the case of cpu overheating, the game would simply slow to a crawl, but not crash. Are you sure it wasn't just a bug?
Also, games (no matter how demanding they are) usually don't push cpus to their limits, this is not Prime95 torture test.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

That is unlikely, since mondern cpus have a thermal throttling feature that dials down the clock speed if core temps reach 90-100 C or so. In the case of cpu overheating, the game would simply slow to a crawl, but not crash. Are you sure it wasn't just a bug?
Also, games (no matter how demanding they are) usually don't push cpus to their limits, this is not Prime95 torture test.
Maybe it was a bug, but still, because of that I started monitoring the temp and the shit is unreal. While the GPU stops at 70-something-C the CPU just keeps climbing. When I set the game to Low graphical settings barely two minutes passed and it was already at 78C. Fuck that, I'm buying a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo next week and getting back in there just to check how high it will go this time.
Welcome to shit porting, son.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After years of processor-abusing console ports I'm still amazed people act like PC games don't do that. GPU was all that mattered 10 years ago, but it's a much different world now.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
After years of processor-abusing console ports I'm still amazed people act like PC games don't do that. GPU was all that mattered 10 years ago, but it's a much different world now.
Tell that to to this game that needs 3GB card to run on Ultra settings.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
If I play this game before I play GTA4, I have to relaunch my Steam client otherwise the mouse won't work in GTA4. Not a big deal, but it's still really weird that it happens. There are even bugs outside of the game. :/

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Sorry, maybe you guys misunderstood what I said (it's not my first language). I'm not trying to defend the game, if you say that it's a badly optimized piece of shit, I believe it. I'm just trying to point out that even if it utilizes all your four cores at 100% (which is very unlikely), that shouldn't cause overheating the cpu and crashing. If you have a decent cooler, properly installed, on stock clock speeds, even hammering it with Prime95 for 24 hours should not cause any problems. And that is much much more taxing than running even the shittiest console ports, believe me. That's why I'm guessing that perhaps it crashed simply due to a bug, or there are maybe problems with your cooling setup.

That Cooler Master hsf you mentioned seems perfectly fine, especially if you don't overclock. I'm curious how your temps will turn out with it.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Which is more likely and why: popamole gamer has popamole taste, or "I'll just look at the prevailing opinion of my viewers and copy it!!! Muahahahaha!"

Azazel

Arbiter
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838538&page=25

http://a.pomf.se/amkeaz.webm

http://imgur.com/a/QqpGf#0

The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare. When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.

Included in this mod(not all features are available yet):
-Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes

yGCQWdT.jpg

Will this finally be enough evidence of false advertisement followed by bait and switch to prompt a class action lawsuit against a fucking publisher? This goes beyond just the use of bullshots.
:kfc:

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
Wait, so all of these features were available and already coded into the game...they were just turned off?! :retarded:

Any speculation as to why? Maybe they were causing stability issues?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Because PS4, at the start of its carrier, cannot have worse graphics than the PC, can it ?

Azazel

Arbiter
Performance in fact increases considerably for most people. There's a slew of performance and compatibility fixes which Ubisoft deliberately disabled, and the mod re-enables.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is his mod 'moddable' -- I see a lot of people asking him to tweak things (unfortunately a lot of the retards actually want Depth of Field). Unless you can tweak it yourself I'd rather not be at the mercy of the tards who want to waste awful graphics options enabled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom