Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Watch Dogs Watch

Azazel

Arbiter
The game uses a very surreal texture implementation. For every texture, there is a basic texture with mipmaps and a higher resolution texture without mipmaps. Lower texture quality uses the medium mip of the regular texture as max. Medium texture quality uses the regular texture and high texture quality (called ultra ingame) uses regular texture BUT blend to higher texture for close ups. Close up distance depends of screen resolution. So it's a pixel/texel ratio in the end.

The problem is that I think gpu drivers are not optimized to load in memory every texture twice. They are optimized to mess with mipmaps to avoid shimmering and to save memory. Walking or driving in watch dogs implies you need to load a new big texture every time a material is near the camera. It's not the same that showing the big mip of the texture already loaded.

:retarded:

Azazel

Arbiter
Gamers are like ultra-victims of stockholm syndrome. They paid money for that game, how dare someone expose the fact that the game was broke as fuck and they were duped, thus exposing their poor judgement and waste of money! :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Performance in fact increases considerably for most people. There's a slew of performance and compatibility fixes which Ubisoft deliberately disabled, and the mod re-enables.

That would be the most damning part of this if true. Certainly lends credibility to the argument that they don't bother optimizing so they can push PC hardware sales.

Edit: Looking at video comparisons it seems to me like the mod adds a ton of bloom/processing effects I would want to turn off anyway.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Edit: Looking at video comparisons it seems to me like the mod adds a ton of bloom/processing effects I would want to turn off anyway.
That's because a lot of GAMERRRRRRRRRRZZZZ think it's more important to benchmark with all the bells and whistles than actually have the game look good.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This is interesting.

So has anybody tried the mod?

Does it lower performance significantly? Or does it actually increase?

I'm seeing conflicting reports of both... some seem to claim that you need alot more gpu/cpu power to fun the mod effects (which would make sense)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So has anybody tried the mod?

Does it lower performance significantly? Or does it actually increase?

I'm seeing conflicting reports of both... some seem to claim that you need a lot more gpu/cpu power to fun the mod effects (which would make sense)
While I'm still waiting for that new cpu-cooling I ordered, my brother and I decided to briefly check the mod (0.7) out. I have a i5 2500 and a HD7950. The game is a hog to begin with and noticing a slight improvement in performance my be very hard, yet, after enabling the mod, on the highest setting no less, the shuttering - that was a constant annoyance - while driving is now almost non-existent. Go figure.

Azazel

Arbiter
TB is a cancer on the industry, let us not give him ad revenue for being an apologist.

bonescraper

So, the patch is out. Fixes nothing, but removes the graphics mod improvements. So say hello to shitty lighting, massive object pop-ins, worse particle effects and no real time headlight shadows.

Ok, the mod works i just had to copy its files again. Still, it's business as usual. The game gained 50 Mb but nothing has changed. I guess i should be thankful they didn't break the game (yet). Ghost Recon Future Soldier ran like crap on release and after approximately 7 patches it runs and looks worse than ever before. Ubisoft, Ubisoft never changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So, the patch is out. Fixes nothing, but removes the graphics mod improvements. So say hello to shitty lighting, massive object pop-ins, worse particle effects and no real time headlight shadows.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all.

Cadmus

Arcane
I sorta feel TB is a retard and I see how he sucks at playing his games, I see he's got some idiotic opinions but I've been watching him lately and he seems pretty honest to me and is exactly the case where a guy shows you a game and based on knowing his personality, you can decide whether you like the game or not. Plus his production values are better than 99% of the youtube retards so I'm a bit torn on him. Can you guys explain to me why should I hate him more, I'd be happy to!

Cadmus

Arcane
He's not cool, he is kind of a fart and usually his opinions on the games he plays are damaged by his inability to read what's on screen so it's pretty infuriating to watch him play a game. He seems honest but when I watched his Bioshock: Infinite "review" he was really swept by the hype same as every other journalist. Just from watching the video I can tell the shooting is shit but I kinda wanted him to tell me about the rest of the game and he proclaimed the game had the best story of all time..what the fuck. he also said the graphics were incredible and beautiful and THE GAME IS OBVIOUSLY FUCKING MEDIOCRE JUSTFUCKINGLOOKATITYOUFATCANCEROUSFUCK but whatevs..

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
He's an asshole that makes hour long videos of himself rambling when if he gave us a tl;dr version he could have been done in 5 minutes.

Cadmus

Arcane
He's an asshole that makes hour long videos of himself rambling when if he gave us a tl;dr version he could have been done in 5 minutes.
Well he doesn't ramble that much, he talks about the games a lot so if you're interested in seeing the footage plus a description of the game and its features, it's good. If you want a tldr that makes no sense since you obviously don't identify with him, why would a tldr of his opinion have any value to you? If you however watch the whole video then even without liking his opinions, you can safely make your own based on what you see.

Cadmus

Arcane
tl;dr

TotalBiscuit rambles a lot.
I really think that he mostly (!) talks to the point. I mean, he surely talks a lot and it can get annoying, especially considering his two digit IQ but I think he stays on topic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom