Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The water in Sea of Thieves

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't have an XBone and I don't really follow new video games too closely. I'm too busy trying to finish my own game. I came across this video on the Unreal Engine forums regarding someone who is making a pirate game in UDK.

I think all of that is pretty doable in any of the major popular game engines (besides maybe RPG Maker). I didn't think there was anything remarkable about it except for the water. But that water is remarkable. No doubt about it.

Take a look at around 6:40. Now, I haven't made the jump to UE4 yet (which Sea of Thieves uses), so I don't know the current best practices of Unreal water effects. So all I can do is be dumbfounded at how good that water looks and just guess at how it must be done based on my familiarity with previous-generation engines.

It looks to me like the waves are mesh displacement (as opposed to material/shader voodoo), following some sort of z=f(x,y,t) function. The material changes to whitecaps when the dz/dx and dz/dy are above a certain threshold, and it spawns a spray particle effect. There is subsurface scattering making the water glow bluish-green inside the waves between the camera and the sun. Then you have all of the traditional effects you would expect on water: specularity (overpowering bright light reflection from light sources, such as the sun), reflection (changing the diffuse/albedo, i.e., color of the surface to reflect the scene around the water), depth-based opacity and tint.

And the waves change intensity. I haven't watched thoroughly enough yet to see whether the waves are always stronger in the open water, or if the waves change everywhere via some kind of variable, or (since the game is multiplayer, you would have to account for this) if the waves change according to local weather conditions and can be different in different parts of the map at the same time.

I also haven't picked apart the video to see if we can see waves breaking on the shore, or if the wake behind a ship is different from the water to the front and sides.

And that's just the look of the water. The water also seems to have a direct effect on the tilt of the ships. (And it wouldn't be too hard to push the ship or swimmers in the direction of the waves.)

I am still just amazed at the quality of that water. I'll bet that a big game studios with multimillion dollar budgets hires physicists and mathematicians just to do stuff like this, which they hand off to the artists. I'll bet that water cost more than the entire budgets of many smaller games.

TL;DR: O.O Dat water.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah. That's almost certainly what they used. Apparently Nvidia even has a ready UE4 integration. "Contact us for licensing inquiries," they say. I wonder how much it costs. If it's anything like SpeedTree, then it's more than my entire budget.

You know, I did see that top video before, but without the sound. I thought it was a graphics card benchmarking test.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm curious myself. Shot them an email asking for the license price, saying I'm a small indie studio of 2 people.

Severian Silk

Is PhysX how those Korean devs get boobs to jiggle so nicely?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Nathaniel3W
c5ca7308578357e8ecc28a65898a99ab.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom