Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Way

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was gifted this by good 'ol MRY. Having a go at it, maybe it'll be good.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Is it any good? It turns out I got a GOG key, too. If the game's awesome, I'll keep it to myself, but otherwise I'm happy to share it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The-Way-2016-pc-game-free.jpg

That cover gives me an old school sci-fi vibe. Like what you'd see on an Isaac Asimov or Stanislaw Lem novel in the 70's.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Actually reminds me more of a Sega Genesis game cover.
strider%20sega%20mega%20drive%20cover.jpg

07f0f11b8820b2b6495f2bc9abbc275c.jpg

alisia%20dragoon%20sega%20mega%20drive%20cover.jpg
Although that's partly because classic Genesis game covers look like classic pulp novel covers. :D Either way, mission accomplished.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That reviewer may be right, I don't know, but this:
The reference to games like Flashback or Another World is appropriate. Good aesthetic, extremely frustrating gameplay.
...is bullshit. Both games have pretty fluid controls. Especially Flashback, which is a great platformer/action/puzzle game. OK AW is a bit more clunky but you just need to get the feel of the game and once you do you realise it's a pretty short game, so it never really gets frustrating. I've finished them both recently and I'm not that good at platformers as I used to be.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I hope this faggot reviewer is exaggerating. I need a game like this. I was waiting for some indiefags to make a game "inspired" by Another World and/or Flashback.

Last edited:

made

Arcane
I didn't play much of it as I don't have the patience to repeat the same room over and over again until I get the hang of it. There's a lot of laser dodging and pattern memorization at the start, controls seem alright and there were no unfair gotcha moments (in contrast to AW that was chock-full of them). No precise jumping or pixel-perfect positioning required yet but idk how representative that is of the rest of the game. GFX are alright, nothing special. Soundtrack is cool, reminds me of Dreamweb.

Siveon

Bot
Is it any good? It turns out I got a GOG key, too. If the game's awesome, I'll keep it to myself, but otherwise I'm happy to share it.
I haven't played Another World in a while (like, 5 years) but it does seem to scratch that itch very well. My only gripes are the quality of the puzzles (one of the puzzles is seriously just Simon says, and another is simply Pipe Mania), and the controls has this odd mix of feeling old and new at the same time. I think it's worth playing if you really like this genre, but I don't think I can finish it. It doesn't really seem to grip me.

I suggest keeping the key.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had the chance to try this out shortly after release, visuals are beautiful and presentation is absolutely minimal, only telling you the bare essentials. Works out well and so far, so good.

Then I came upon one of the first puzzles of the game, and that dashed my hopes: Crossing three floors of security cameras without being spotted. The cameras pan back and forth, and obviously I'm not supposed to be spotted by them. But at no point could I tell when it was safe to pass by them...or how. So I tried running past them at certain intervals. Just the first camera nailed me good every time, it seemed to be impassable. Then I had an idea: I crouched down directly beneath it and didn't move. That worked. "Ah, motion sensitive cameras!" I thought, so I do the same for the second camera in the hallway.

Turns out that one is NOT motion sensitive. So back to the start I go, constantly having to crouch down to pass the first camera, just so I can "trial-and-error" my way through the second one. My some sheer stroke of luck I get past the second camera a couple of times, which allows me to get to the second floor where three security cameras await me. Obviously I never got past any of them.

I only spent 15 minutes on it, but I felt that the game was bringing back the worst points of Another World, and that it was highly unlikely to get better. The opening puzzles of a game are supposed to introduce you to the game mechanics, not stonewall you. After reading this thread I'm sad to learn I was right, but maybe the patch makes the game worthwhile. Maybe.

Siveon

Bot
The camera thing is a bit illogical. When the camera moves fully to one side, it goes partially transparent, you're supposed to move then.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
never saw this game before, i am going to try it.

the artwork looks great. looks like another world meets outcast meets gemini rue

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom