Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

DraQ

Arcane
Ah, yes, my favorite pro AD&D argument: Good games were made with it!
It's nonsense of course, but at least someone is trying to bring an argument. Thank you.

It's basically " :insert some really accurate sniper rifle here: is less precise than a battered up sawn off because my mildly retarded cousin with strabismus and parkinson once tried to shoot a target with it an miss, while me and some pals took turns shooting the same target with the sawed off and downing beers for several hours and scored a bunch of bullseyes - all hail superiority of hillbilly dueling pistols!".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ah, yes, my favorite pro AD&D argument: Good games were made with it!
It's nonsense of course, but at least someone is trying to bring an argument. Thank you.

It's basically " :insert some really accurate sniper rifle here: is less precise than a battered up sawn off because my mildly retarded cousin with strabismus and parkinson once tried to shoot a target with it an miss, while me and some pals took turns shooting the same target with the sawed off and downing beers for several hours and scored a bunch of bullseyes - all hail superiority of hillbilly dueling pistols!".

Well, you're a master of hyperbole, and expert on theoretical gaming, but since you haven't even played the Gold Box games your opinion is based on limited experience.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Well, you're a master of hyperbole, and expert on theoretical gaming, but since you haven't even played the Gold Box games your opinion is based on limited experience.
DraQ might be the forum's resident dragon, but I think he just got burned.

Avellion

Erudite
Other than that it's basically oblivion of its time - a pointless, undirected slog across boring generic landscapes (but without actual exploration) that almost everyone knows and loves because it was their first cRPG.

Yeah, it did introduce a lot of people to cRPGs. To me, it was my first cRPG, so I had some fond memories of it. But after playing older (and far better) cRPGs like Dark Sun, the gold box games, wizardry, fallout and so on, I found myself asking "What the hell was I playing?". I cannot even say it was good for its time anymore.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Those arguments were probably mentioned by now, but what the hell.
  • It had a way to capture the imagination with its sheer vastness, even if the actual content within each zone was relatively thin. Still, at the time, it felt like Christmas when you DID come across those events. Basilus the Insane Cleric & his army of Undead, Drizzt (kind of an optional end-boss), the Jelly Mustard guy (multiple outcomes) and so on. Not so mention, some optional/semi-optional areas were actually pretty cool (like the Ankheg & Basilisk zones). For all intents and purposes it was an Adventure (c)RPG, and succeeded very well at that.
  • The RTwP in BG wasn't particularly exciting or strong on the tactical side, but it WAS strategic. That's hit or miss though, either you get a nerdgasm out of forming & executing a winner strategy or you don't. Either you bitch about pre-buffing & spell memorization or you find it enjoyable.
  • Outstanding ability to customize your game experience that was near-overwhelming at the time. 4 or 5 difficulty slider, Custom Portraits, Protagonist/party creation, dialogue choices designed for different forms of role-playing (even if most were cheesy), pause settings that could simulate combat rounds, party NPCs of all flavors...
  • Multiplayer in a game that was all but designed for it.
  • Authencity. For anyone who didn't already know all that much about D&D, it was pretty realistic as far as a fantasy RPG can go, and the amount of attention to detail was staggering.
For all its flaws, it was a pretty special game, way ahead of its time, and still deserves its legacy. (

Insert mandatory reminder that BG2 was better, the most salient reasons being a more immersive story, more content/rewarding optional stuff and combat which was far more tactical. Also, lewt and class/XP systems that had more diversity & punch to it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Thank you, finally we have reached the status of discussion!
Oh btw. I hope derailing this yearly BG thread is not too lawful evil...

I know what it is supposed to display, you continue to think I am some kind of idiot. Well, I am not.
The problem with that system is that it should be completely unnecessary. Instead of of increasing the time for a level up, why not just make the level ups equal in XP, but reduce what you gain from them?
Just like it is in 3.5. The result is the same. Plus, that way, nobody needs to be distracted by yet another class-specific table and nobody needs to be annoyed because of how much less he can improve his character than other players.
The underlying and far more important problem of all that is not one specific to AD&D, the problem is that level-based systems just make no sense. You do not kill 100 goblins, and suddenly turn stronger. Getting better is a process and every single level based system fails to display that in a good way. Point-based systems like TDE or SR where the XP-equivalent is a resource to spend will always have the upper hand as they can represent a fluent progress in contrast to an artificially fragmented one. So, yeah, this is more of a general D&D problem, or that of any level-based system.

3.5 progression system is complete shit, you even bringing it up is retarded on its own right. Distracted by a class especific table? If they can breathe and walk at the same time im pretty sure they can manage looking for a specific table when they level up.
I sort of agree, level based systems dont make sense, but make progress easily manageable for most players, so they are not without their upsides.

Vancian magic is supposed to display the necessary preparation some magic users need to do to cast their magic. It present wizards more as ritualists than people who can bend reality at will. I don't like that theory of magic, but that is just my preference. The system itself is fine.
The problem is that this is not how it works at all in D&D. It tries, but it fails when you think about it. You need to rest for 8 hours to do... everything. During 8 hours sleep, a warrior heals his wounds. Okay.
During 8 hours sleep, a mage heals his wounds. But wait, he also needs to prepare his spells. So.. what... does he do that in his sleep? Remarkably, but I guess not. Instead, the mage will spend some time with his books and formulas. But then, he will only have 5 hours or so of sleep. How does he manage to heal as fast as the warrior that way? Do mages just need less sleep? That would be fine, if you could split both activities, preparing and sleeping. So any mage should be able to just take 2-3 hours hours to prepare his spells. And should only need 5 hours to heal. But that is not possible in D&D. You can try to find all sorts of excuses for why it is like that, or use house-rules, but they will all be very far-fetched and not able to disguise that D&D pre 4.0 fails to implement a magic system that makes sense in its own world. Which is btw the only thing better in 4.0.

So you concern is a simulationist one? Fuck off man. Also, there is no need to house rule, how much time it takes to heal, how much you heal in an hour, a night, a day, a week, etc. Is explained on the manual, a high level warrior needs to spend months in a bed to heal naturally.
Also, times for memorizing every single spells are listed, and at high level a mage would need well over 8 hours to memorize it all, you are free to reinforce this rule if you feel like it, it wasnt an oversight on their part.

A character with not much constitution has as many HP as three rats. Three. Rats. A human being. Hello-ho? There is abstraction, and there is... this mess.
Again, I know what it is supposed to display. Every HP-based system has serious problems as there is more to one's health status than the taken damage. TDE also has that problem, btw. but makes up for it by having actual illnesses, etc. But this one just takes the crown of nonsense, at least at low levels. I fail to see how anyone can look at early level HP stats in D&D and keep a straight face.
If it does not fall apart for you when you think about it, then I will not be able to ever convince you here, so let's just stop that point.

unbreakable3.jpg
Here is your 1hp low constitution human. Also theres nitpicking and then theres what you are doing, no system ever has been designed to emulate reality accurately and if rats having an unrealistically high amount of hp makes the system a mess then im really not not sure what to tell you, a facepalm would be a much more fitting.

We agree here. That part does work very well in D&D, but any edition up to 3.5 IMO. This is what 4.0 broke utterly by making every class essentially the same.
But the freedom part is just wrong. You have far more possibilities and diversity in character creation and development in 3.5. AD&D gives you fixed abilities at level-up, kits just give more paths with fixed gained abilities. In 3.0+ you can decide what traits, etc. to take. That is a simple numbers game and AD&D just has less character development possibilities than 3.5.
Maybe, but i like the middle point between balance and freedom that AD&D strikes. The broken freedom of 3.5 that leaves half my team feeling like the mage is doing everything is kind of shit, as the saying goes "everyone knows you play 3.5 with a caster", its true and its utter shit.

And I can only repeat myself by saying that you are utterly wrong here. I can give you the reasoning behind every design decision in AD&D, and why they did it in that way, it is not hard to understand. I know what they tried to do. But they failed in many ways. And they realized that, hence 3.0 was born, and from it 3.5.
4.0 then came out of completely different reasons, and the result is.. well, you probably know it.
You can give me the reasoning behind every design choice? you are not even in the same state of mind as the gygax and the other people that helped mold it to what it was.
Also you realize that 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 came to make them money, not because there was anything wrong with AD&D? Even if there is a lot of questionable shit it, none of that shit gets in the way of people having fun, and thats all that matters.

My point is that while they were trying to fix the system they broke the game.

No Great Name

Arcane
In all seriousness, bringing up nostalgia as an argument is like pissing in the dark.
Save the arguments that are based on personal characteristics for discussions that are done in person.
Uhm... No? Nostalgia is a very important and real part in the perception of games.
It's not some esoteric concept.
And what does this have to do with arguments in person? Sorry, but you confuse me.
What I mean by this is that you are bringing up nostalgia as a factor when you know almost nothing about the person. You don't know when they played the game or what the context was when they played it, so when you accuse someone of being nostalgic, you are really just taking a wild guess which has no place in this discussion.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Do you guys realize how quickly you can traverse through the wilderness zones in BG1 and complete any content there? Comparing it to Oblivion and calling BG1 an isometric hiking simulator is idiotic. Also, nostalgia is not necessary to enjoy BG1 as I played it for the first time relatively recently.

Sure, its a flawed game with its basic party interaction, rudimentary writing, and perhaps some tedious exploration, but as a low level D&D adventure its a really fun game. Perhaps if BG1 was the only IE game ever released it would not be as highly regarded as it is today, but overall its a very enjoyable game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I played it again last weekend and I finished all of the Wilderness Areas, Baldur's Gate and the Main plot stuff right up until the end of Chapter 7. The only content I didn't do was the TotSC stuff and I did all that in about 12-14 hours or so. That said I knew where everything was, without having to refer to DSimpson.

But, I pretty much read no dialogue, as I've read it many times before.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG1 was a fairly generic game, its main quality was the supah sexy graphics. RPGs used to be but-fucking-ugly and BG went and made them beautiful. In an industry obsessed with looks that was a big fucking deal. They credit BG with reviving the RPG genre and making it popular again, which is true. It wasn't Fallout. The credit goes to Diablo and BG. So, next time you're playing Bethesda's or Bioware's latest offering, remember that it all started with BG.
And the next time you watch an ultra-dumb summer blockbuster film, remember that it all started with Jaws.

Uhm... So fucking what?

Not enough C&C for VD.
What does that have to do with action?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's why he calls it an action adventure. C&C is like what he expects from an RPG, from what I've read anyway. Infinitron or someone else would give you a better description as I'm rather new.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not enough C&C for VD.
What does that have to do with action?

That's why he calls it an action adventure. C&C is like what he expects from an RPG, from what I've read anyway. Infinitron or someone else would give you a better description as I'm rather new.

We had a thread about this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-a-full-scale-rpg.84711/

It's not just about the C&C for VD - he said that he considers Ultima VII, a game that was very light on actual traditional RPG mechanics and C&C to be a "full scale RPG", because of its broad scope, innovation, etc.

I think in the end he just finds Baldur's Gate to be too simple and "safe" a game. Its AD&D implementation, and all the complexities of its character building, spells, monsters, etc, just don't impress him much. Defining it out of the RPG genre because of that is pretty retarded IMO, but eh, no point in arguing about it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still does not explain why it's being called an 'action' game despite not having any actual action (as in dexterity-based) elements.

As for RPG elements limited to combat and thievery = not a full-fledged RPG, well, I would not argue gainst that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still does not explain why it's being called an 'action' game despite not having any actual action (as in dexterity-based) elements.

I guess what he means is that it's an "action-adventure game" in the higher-level sense that you play a character who walks around the world and kills things.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Calling BG a strategy-adventure game (with stats) would make far more sense, BG (and any other IE game for that matter) has no "twitchines"/action in it whatsoever.

VD's definition of the genre is far too narrow, you could almost count games on one hand that satisfy his criteria.

Furthemore, BG series have almost nothing in common with the latest Bethesda and/or Bioware games which focus on console market.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

I guess what he means is that it's an "action-adventure game" in the higher-level sense that you play a character who walks around the world and kills things.
Exactly.

I'm pretty sure that it was Saint Proverbius - peace be upon him - who started calling them action-adventure games. I merely agree with him. You move from map to map and kill things. Sure, it's not Diablo- or Dark Soul kind of action, but does it really matter? A game either offers you something other than mindless combat (and BG1 was pretty fucking mindless) or it doesn't.

Back in those days, BG1 was released a year after Fallout, so it was compared to Fallout in terms of design and it was an incredibly shallow game that offered nothing but pretty background. Now, after two decades of decline it may look fairly decent and maybe even challenging, but even Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel will seem like a great game if you start comparing it to some of the latest shit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I'm pretty sure that it was Saint Proverbius - peace be upon him - who started calling them action-adventure games. I merely agree with him.
I don't care who came up with this, since it is wrong, and would still be even if Pope himself said it.

The action game is a video game genre that emphasizes physical challenges, including hand–eye coordination and reaction-time. The genre includes diverse subgenres such as fighting games, shooter games and platform games which are widely considered the most important action games, though some real-time strategy games are also considered to be action games.

Emphasis mine.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_game

You move from map to map and kill things. Sure, it's not Diablo- or Dark Soul kind of action, but does it really matter?

Is this a serious question, are are you just trolling now?

Using this logic I could as well write that Age of Decadence is a shooter, because you can grab a crossbow and shoot things. You don't have to aim the crossbow manually, but 'does it really matter'?

A game either offers you something other than mindless combat (and BG1 was pretty fucking mindless) or it doesn't.

So, in your opinion. Baldur's Gate offers nothing more than midless combat?

Right.

It seems it was a mistake to try to start any kind of discussion.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that it was Saint Proverbius - peace be upon him - who started calling them action-adventure games. I merely agree with him. You move from map to map and kill things. Sure, it's not Diablo- or Dark Soul kind of action, but does it really matter? A game either offers you something other than mindless combat (and BG1 was pretty fucking mindless) or it doesn't.

Of course it matters, one game plays like a small scale RTS (that is pretty slow paced and with the ability to pause action), second one is a clickfest and third one is a twitchy console action game, all of them appeal to different gamer groups.

BG's gameplay has more in common with games like Myth and Commandos than with say Dark Souls and/or Oblivion/Skyrim.

Back in those days, BG1 was released a year after Fallout, so it was compared to Fallout in terms of design and it was an incredibly shallow game that offered nothing but pretty background. Now, after two decades of decline it may look fairly decent and maybe even challenging, but even Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel will seem like a great game if you start comparing it to some of the latest shit.

Actually, first BG was already challenging compared to Fallout back in the day (nothing in Fallout 1 compares to Durlag Tower, killing Drizzt, Sarevok's acolytes and end boss fights), the second one blows Fallout away when it comes to combat, challenge and encounter design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom