Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Seaking4

Learned
Ok well I got it to work eventually. Just had to keep trying. Not sure if it had anything to do where I was standing but it worked once I stayed right next to where the debris was falling. Chapter IV was good. Not despite the fact that it was just a giant side quest but because it was. I enjoyed the monster hunting side quests but Chapter 2/3 had that irritating swamp that just sucked the fun out of it. Chapter 5/Epilogue was enjoyable as well. Happy I continued on and didn't just quit. Ending kind of confused me. I thought Alvin was Jacques but Geralt's final conversation with Dandelion made me think otherwise. Although the more confusing part was the Wild Hunt.

I took too long to put my trust in igni. But by the end I was just using it non-stop. With Tawny Oil there wasn't even any downtime to cast it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
^ :salute:

I thought the deal with A/J was pretty clear. It didn't really matter in the end.

Wild Hunt seems kinda tacked on in W1, as if they needed only some otherwordly being to taunt Geralt. W2/3 shows WH closer to what it really is.
nazi elves from another dimension

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Act 4 is full of references from romanticism era literature and folk, and IMO only part with really Slavic tone in W1. Everything else is typical medieval west (just like Witcher books).
I liked this part of game, swamp and Wizima is mostly forgettable for me.

I expected worse of cocktaku, TBH.

Although...
cocktaku said:
The Witcher is an ugly game
:hmmm:

Yeah. They wouldn't recognise good art direction even if it jumped them from the bushes and kicked them in the arse :troll:

Not shiny enough. Don't you know that game looks good only if it's has next-gen 3d photorealism with shiny SFX and a lot of colours? Who cares about art direction when you can just use hi-res textures everywhere.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Guys, next-gen is not about fps and pixels anymore. 1080p is already enough or too high sometimes and human eye sees only 24 fps. Studios should focus on marketing and gameplay gimmicks, not pushing the boundaries of game engines like in the old days. We live in the age of microwave chargeable, bendable phones - the are no more boundaries.

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned

I thought the deal with A/J was pretty clear. It didn't really matter in the end.

Wild Hunt seems kinda tacked on in W1, as if they needed only some otherwordly being to taunt Geralt. W2/3 shows WH closer to what it really is.

Ya the Wild Hunt was what confused me. Especially since I don't recall running into them in the Outskirts of Vizima. Anyways, W2 is carrying the legacy of referencing characters and events that I have no knowledge of and then not explaining them. But I'm positive that CDPR will explain all by the end. Probably. Hopefully.

Anyways, I forgot to mention that Chapter 1 of The Witcher reminded me of an episode of the X-Files. You were trying to discover this town's dark secrets while avoiding a murderous beast.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

Ya the Wild Hunt was what confused me. Especially since I don't recall running into them in the Outskirts of Vizima. Anyways, W2 is carrying the legacy of referencing characters and events that I have no knowledge of and then not explaining them. But I'm positive that CDPR will explain all by the end. Probably. Hopefully.

Anyways, I forgot to mention that Chapter 1 of The Witcher reminded me of an episode of the X-Files. You were trying to discover this town's dark secrets while avoiding a murderous beast.
You meet the King of the Wild Hunt (along with your dead friend) in the chapel's cellar - don't think it's avoidable, just like all the other events when you meet him.

If you're playing the game without previously reading the books, in theory it should give you a genuine feeling of being lost - just like Geralt you have no memory of past events and you have no idea who to help etc. Most of the characters you meet are new or were only mentioned in the saga (i.e. Geralt didn't deal with them personally), so you may feel confused, but you actually don't loose much.

For me the Vizima Outskirts were the most unsettling - the concentration of human vileness is the strongest.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Wild Hunt subplot in Witcher 1 is definitely confusing on your first playthrough.

When you meet the Wild Hunt in the chapel cellar, if you say the right things in the conversation to avoid combat with Leo's ghost, then he agrees to leave you alone for the rest of the game, so you can deliver to him the soul of Alvin/Jacques de Aldersberg at the end.

But it's impossible to understand that that's what he's talking about on your first playthrough, because he references Alvin by way of an obscure in-game glossary text.

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/witcher/sidequests.html

• Enter the Chapel and take the stairs down into the basement. Place the Remains in the sarcophogus and the King of the High Hunt will appear. Unless you answer "There's no destiny, only coincidences", "No.", and "I'll prove there's no destiny. I shall give you what I have but do not expect" to the questions he asks, the ghost of Leo will appear and you will have to fight it. It will leave behind a Red Meteorite.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny

"The poet Dandelion contemplates whether human life is ruled by Destiny. Dandelion mentions the Law of Surprise — when a witcher demands from a man rescued on the road that which he does not expect once he returns home. It turns out to be a child born during the father's absence. Witchers take the Unexpected Children to their fortresses and train them to be their successors. Dandelion also wonders whether love can bind people with bonds of destiny. In no ballad does he provide a clear answer to the questions posed.

Alvin is Geralt's "son" who he did not expect, who gets taken from him to become the Grandmaster, the same way the Witchers take away the unexpected sons of peasants to become Witchers.

Of course, at the end of the game, you can go back on your promise and refuse to hand over Alvin/Jacques' soul. I think the Wild Hunt even mentions it if you do (though it's possible that he always says the same thing even if you chose the wrong dialogue options and fought Leo's ghost back in the Outskirts, I'm not sure).

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I'm 99% sure you always have both options in the final encounter. For me subplot of TWH sucks because it's just a ghost taunting Geralt and getting his ass kicked. Hopefully they will get more attention in TW3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm 99% sure you always have both options in the final encounter. For me subplot of TWH sucks because it's just a ghost taunting Geralt and getting his ass kicked. Hopefully they will get more attention in TW3.

Yes, you always have both options, but I'm not sure the King of the Wild Hunt says the same thing (ie, telling you it's time to fulfill your promise)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Yes, you always have both options, but I'm not sure the King of the Wild Hunt says the same thing (ie, telling you it's time to fulfill your promise)

I think he does it either way. I just dismissed it as babbling, since I never promised him anything.

The whole conversation in Act I is even more confusing, since the bloody ghost references chasing you outside the walls of Kaer Morhen... which did happen but was never shown to the player in a satisfactory manner.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I think he does it either way. I just dismissed it as babbling, since I never promised him anything.

The whole conversation in Act I is even more confusing, since the bloody ghost references chasing you outside the walls of Kaer Morhen... which did happen but was never shown to the player in a satisfactory manner.

It doesn't help that the Wild Hunt suddenly becomes a random trash mob as part of a quest in Chapter 4, which cheapens it and makes it weird when it suddenly becomes a big deal again.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't help that the Wild Hunt suddenly becomes a random trash mob as part of a quest in Chapter 4, which cheapens it and makes it weird when it suddenly becomes a big deal again.
I might be forgetting how TWH was in the saga, but I got an impression they weren't something you could even consider battling (at least on Geralt's plane)...

Ezrite

Learned
Boys and girls, is Witcher 1 worth it to slog trough? Found it very tedious last time and I played it like 15 minutes every half year. Witcher 2 looks awesome and Witcher 3 is around the corner. I know I won't forgive myself I do not finish the trilogy fully but im not sure I can handle Witcher 1s clickity combat.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TW1 story is pretty self contained. TW2 can be easily understood without it, nothing but the ending scene of 1 had much to do with 2. I am pretty sure 1 won't be relevant for TW3, unlike 2 where the story didn't really close, it was very clear there was more coming. So if you don't enjoy it on its own, don't feel the need to play through it to understand what is going on.

I quite liked it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBwS1frPak

Murk

Arcane
TW1 story is pretty self contained. TW2 can be easily understood without it, nothing but the ending scene of 1 had much to do with 2. I am pretty sure 1 won't be relevant for TW3, unlike 2 where the story didn't really close, it was very clear there was more coming. So if you don't enjoy it on its own, don't feel the need to play through it to understand what is going on.

I quite liked it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBwS1frPak

Blaine's youtube account confirmed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Must be identity theft. The Witcher sucks balls, the music is absolute shit, and CD Projeckt Red isn't the coolest company, like, evar just because they offer DRM-free copies of their software.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Boys and girls, is Witcher 1 worth it to slog trough? Found it very tedious last time and I played it like 15 minutes every half year. Witcher 2 looks awesome and Witcher 3 is around the corner. I know I won't forgive myself I do not finish the trilogy fully but im not sure I can handle Witcher 1s clickity combat.
I've had the same problem, started it two times but got bored easily but after third when I've finally decided to play for more than 15 minutes it got quite good. Once I've reached Vizima it was very good actually. Interesting quests (with not many choices and consequences but there are some), OK dialogues and not that tedious fights. IMO it's a way better game than Risen 1 and at least as good as Gothic. But if you reach Vizima and are still bored then drop it.

Ezrite

Learned
I've had the same problem, started it two times but got bored easily but after third when I've finally decided to play for more than 15 minutes it got quite good. Once I've reached Vizima it was very good actually. Interesting quests (with not many choices and consequences but there are some), OK dialogues and not that tedious fights. IMO it's a way better game than Risen 1 and at least as good as Gothic. But if you reach Vizima and are still bored then drop it.

I reached this village outskirt, it was not bad but I was just, I dont know! Always finding other things to do. It is also a pretty long game isn't it? IM always slow, can take me years to finally pick up a game and finish it (erhum! Planescape Torment 2 summers ago) Cause the second game seems very good the little I played and the third one looks promising even if I try not to get hyped over games these days. Also, Risen 2 I tried, I did not like it much but I guess even that got some redeeming factors.

Metatron

Augur
The first act of Witcher 1 has always been by far the worst for me. The area looks and feels like a NWN module rather than one made by a professional company, some encounters are confusing and and it's not entirely clear wtf is going on and apart from the final scene there isn't much meaningful story, c&c or characters fleshed out in depth. It's just Geralt hiking around a not-so-interesting countryside. Game gets better in Vizima though and later on there's another countryside moment that I found to be by far superior. So yes, at least try to get to chapter 2 if you're not totally sold on chapter 1, neither was I.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom