Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Ezrite

Learned
So have they put in an option to swap between them ingame? The views. IM currently not in game and busy and lazy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'd say anyone who wasn't born yesterday should play TW1 on the highest difficulty setting so that alchemy becomes more integral to game-play. It's the most monocled aspect of the game, and yet most noobs can just sort of ignore it for the most part.

naossano

Cipher
I played the game in "normal" or the equivalent, as i do for most games. IMO the highest difficulty setting is supposed to be for subsequents playthroughs, to increase the challenge. If you use it from the get go, you screw yourself of potential future challenges, or you potentially screw yourself of winning, if the highest difficulty level does what it is supposed to do. An almost impossible feat to overcome.

Anyway, on normal mode, it has a progressive difficulty curve as you advance in the games. From easy cake first acts to real challenges in the last acts. Even with blade coats, potions and signs, you can have hard times.

You can switch between the three perspectives anytime.
High isometric that is almost isometric and mouse based, shoulder view with specific gameplay, and low isometric, that is mouse based but is visually between high isometric and shoulder view. I usually stay on high isometric for combat and pratical purposes and sometime switch to low isometric when i want to see some landscape that seem worthy.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's a fucking rhythm clicking game, the view difference does not matter one fucking iota, and if you level up Igni you can just round enemies up WoW-frost-mage style and blast whole waves of enemies down.
Wrong. View does make a difference, else i wouldnt be playing iso now would i? As i said, makes the battles, if not tactical, FEEL more tactical. You see all around you as well. Plus the game looks better from top down. So stop exaggerating bro id appreciate it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Navigation in iso is a pain. OTS camera is much better IMO and it doesn't make any difference in combat, I started with iso and switched to OTS at some point. The game looks good either way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am not much aware about comments from MMO players as i don't play much MMO, but i am not much comfortable with RPG using keyboard+mouse or gamepad for RPG, instead of using mouse.
It make walking clumsy, easier to mistake npc with chest and doors, it make the act of walking a constant process instead of a command, a real pain for looting, and a totally different combat philosophy.

Well now I am as confused as Ninjerk because walking around with WASD has nothing to do with a gameplad. We've been walking around with WASD in PC exclusives like The Witcher for 20 years.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's a fucking rhythm clicking game, the view difference does not matter one fucking iota, and if you level up Igni you can just round enemies up WoW-frost-mage style and blast whole waves of enemies down.
Wrong. View does make a difference, else i wouldnt be playing iso now would i? As i said, makes the battles, if not tactical, FEEL more tactical. You see all around you as well. Plus the game looks better from top down. So stop exaggerating bro id appreciate it.
possibly_retarded.png

naossano

Cipher
I am not much aware about comments from MMO players as i don't play much MMO, but i am not much comfortable with RPG using keyboard+mouse or gamepad for RPG, instead of using mouse.
It make walking clumsy, easier to mistake npc with chest and doors, it make the act of walking a constant process instead of a command, a real pain for looting, and a totally different combat philosophy.

Well now I am as confused as Ninjerk because walking around with WASD has nothing to do with a gameplad. We've been walking around with WASD in PC exclusives like The Witcher for 20 years.

Most (can't tell about all) post 90s 1st/3rd Perspective games that use keyboard+mouse can also be played with gamepad. Or most of those games that can be played with gamepad can also be played with keyboard+mouse. It is the same games. It am only talking about computer games, or cross-plateform games that can be played on computers.

So most of the current cross plateform games that are meant for gamepad use also keyboard+mouse on computers. If you are not fond of either, you are currently screwed, unless they put extra effort on mouse based handling on computer port or decide to screw consoles and made the game for computers.

That they were games that used that gamestyle 40 years ago don't matter. The current crossplatform fever multiplied those games by a billion, including franchises that were a welcome break from those, which are now clone of the other cross-platform games.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Boys and girls, is Witcher 1 worth it to slog trough? Found it very tedious last time and I played it like 15 minutes every half year. Witcher 2 looks awesome and Witcher 3 is around the corner. I know I won't forgive myself I do not finish the trilogy fully but im not sure I can handle Witcher 1s clickity combat.
You don't need to play it if you just want to progress to 2. It's mostly self-contained and in some cases iffy on lore.

However it really does atmosphere, soundtrack and alchemy superbly and it has pretty fun approach to C&C, with delayed consequences.

Or, basically what Nryn said in more detail (although I disagree on TW1 lore aspect).

It does matter though. Isometric is much better than the over the shoulder they slapped in. The game is built for iso and it shows. Plus battles are much better and feel more tactical isometric. Finally, I think the game looks better from top down, visually.
Derp.

Iso prevents you from getting the most out of purty environments or spectacular combat, clutters the screen with faggy click effect, prevents precise control (because you route your control through pathfinding system) and doesn't offer anything in exchange because it's a single character game.

In other words - tag confirmed.

Most (can't tell about all) post 90s 1st/3rd Perspective games that use keyboard+mouse can also be played with gamepad. Or most of those games that can be played with gamepad can also be played with keyboard+mouse. It is the same games. It am only talking about computer games, or cross-plateform games that can be played on computers.

So most of the current cross plateform games that are meant for gamepad use also keyboard+mouse on computers. If you are not fond of either, you are currently screwed, unless they put extra effort on mouse based handling on computer port or decide to screw consoles and made the game for computers.

That they were games that used that gamestyle 40 years ago don't matter. The current crossplatform fever multiplied those games by a billion, including franchises that were a welcome break from those, which are now clone of the other cross-platform games.
Who the fuck cares about "current cross platform games"?
TW1 was never designed as cross platform game and KB + M has been the established king God Emperor of control schemes for single protagonist 3D FPP/TPP since at least Quake fucking 1. It performs admirably in TW1 especially given useful additions from overhead games like being able to click on activable objects from distance and have the pathfinding do the work for you - useful when collecting herbs and looting. The only thing that works poorly is combat, but that's due to lengthy animations that effectively eliminate fine control - no relation to the control scheme.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Derp.

Iso prevents you from getting the most out of purty environments or spectacular combat, clutters the screen with faggy click effect, prevents precise control (because you route your control through pathfinding system) and doesn't offer anything in exchange because it's a single character game.

In other words - tag confirmed.
The game looks better ISO, period. If you want to look at the evnrinment, switch to third for a minute and drool if you want. Combat is more spectuacl ISO, screens doesnt get cluttered what are you smoking? Control is perfectly fine ISO.

You people should really stop exaggerating, its getting ridiculous.

Perkel

Arcane
Played it both ways.

OTS is way to experience game as ISO doesn't give you anything more in this game and you need as usual to fight with camera controls as it is shitty 3D ISO than perfection that is locked camera 2D iso.

But yeah game look better in ISO which should be normal considering that you don't see some detail upclose. But chapter 4 is noticeably worse as huge part of this chapter is enjoying that small village atmosphere with its views.

Combat is the same in both modes.

naossano

Cipher
Who the fuck cares about "current cross platform games"?
TW1 was never designed as cross platform game and KB + M has been the established king God Emperor of control schemes for single protagonist 3D FPP/TPP since at least Quake fucking 1. It performs admirably in TW1 especially given useful additions from overhead games like being able to click on activable objects from distance and have the pathfinding do the work for you - useful when collecting herbs and looting. The only thing that works poorly is combat, but that's due to lengthy animations that effectively eliminate fine control - no relation to the control scheme.

Bullet points for convenience.
- Calm down dude. I never said that isometric games were the best things in the world while shoulder view sucks. I said that i prefer mouse based isometric games, and i am probably not the only one. The only thing i would like to defend is the ability to continue playing isometric on IP that started with isometric or started with the isometric option.
- About caring of cross platform games, it simply have a huge impact on majority of games released today. Most of currently released games are cross platforms, to multiply the sells, including IP that started isometric.
- The Witcher IP is involved at it also happened with it. TW was a pc game that allowed isometric gameplay. TW2, TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are cross platforms games that only allow shoulder view. If you enjoyed TW1 on isometric, you are screwed.
- If you don't love isometric, sure you aren't screwed and it is good for you, but it doesn't mean the isometric players aren't screwed. They are.
- I never said that Keyboard + mouse or gamepad aren't fitted for shoulder view. I just said that because of the cross plateform mindset, the mouse based isometric gameplay is put aside. I am not saying that shoulder view must be mouse based. I just defend mouse based Isometric.
- On a side note, TW1 have amongs it three gameplay option, the ability to play something between isometric & shoulder view, and is mouse based. Not saying it is what i want, but it is technically possible.

Last edited:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Isometric is better for combat because you see the entire moves and OTS is just too close for combat and the camera gets too slow during pause.
OTS is much better for exploration, though. It is obvious that the game was made with OTS camera in mind.

Ezrite

Learned
So have they put in an option to swap between them ingame? The views. IM currently not in game and busy and lazy.
I'd say anyone who wasn't born yesterday should play TW1 on the highest difficulty setting so that alchemy becomes more integral to game-play. It's the most monocled aspect of the game, and yet most noobs can just sort of ignore it for the most part.

I am a lazy player so I just go with "normal".

Non the less, Im passed the big basd wolf now. After being a idiot I tried the signs on it. Is the igni supposed to hurt things? Seemingly all things just stand in it while the Ard been a winner.

Also, haven't slept around at all. Abigail offers herself up to "prove" her innocence? What would make Geralt better than the cultists if he bangs her in the cavern. As if he would have time before they rushed the game. That be something to tell Vesemir when they find out what happended. "Oh Geralt died, again, from an angry mob in the damn outskirts, in a cavern while banging some accused witch"

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

I am a lazy player so I just go with "normal".

Non the less, Im passed the big basd wolf now. After being a idiot I tried the signs on it. Is the igni supposed to hurt things? Seemingly all things just stand in it while the Ard been a winner.

Also, haven't slept around at all. Abigail offers herself up to "prove" her innocence? What would make Geralt better than the cultists if he bangs her in the cavern. As if he would have time before they rushed the game. That be something to tell Vesemir when they find out what happended. "Oh Geralt died, again, from an angry mob in the damn outskirts, in a cavern while banging some accused witch"
You can swap views freely. I used ots for exploration (since you can see further) and zoomed out iso for combat.

Abigail offers herself probably because she doesn't want to die a long painful death. For this choice she has to exploit Geralt's human side, because as a witcher he's only obliged to kill the hound, not antagonize the whole village (silver sword is the least used in the saga). Also - is she really innocent?

Hard is the way to go - potions being extremely toxic was very important in the books. On hard you must very often run more than 3 at a time and it becomes tricky.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher

I understand that you don't want to start the game, but you should read the couple of guys who already answered you. Otherwise, there is no point answering your question.

Last edited:

Ezrite

Learned
I did start the game but was not able to check the options at the moment.

So far so good, im a bit in to it now. DraQ was right.

Also, well! It seems to be that non is innocent. Just like some other games used to be before...Not many of those games these days!

In my experience Igni was pretty op for most of the game. Anyway, how's Witcher 1 FCR mod? i realized it's been a pretty long time since I played W1.

FCR is pretty good. Makes the game feel very "real" and deadly, and its nice to kill monsters in a few hits rather than needing to go through several combos every time. Whole thing feels a lot more witcher-y.

The early game has a lot of randomness though (especially the early optional boss fight if you fight the mage, which was already kind of random in vanilla). Make sure to read the readme, plan a build, and stack the defense boosts to become almost unhittable.

Perkel

Arcane
FCR fir W1 ? Imo it is needles and original game hard mode is enough to actually make you use all witcher tributes like potions and magic and unlike TW2 difficulty is a thing in it if you come unprepared.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can mod the cameras to change max/min distances and angles.

By the way you can get both Witchers on GOG for 3,68 eurobucks (1,19+2,49) or your equivalent for 19 more hours.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bullet points for convenience.
- Calm down dude. I never said that isometric games were the best things in the world while shoulder view sucks. I said that i prefer mouse based isometric games, and i am probably not the only one. The only thing i would like to defend is the ability to continue playing isometric on IP that started with isometric or started with the isometric option.
- About caring of cross platform games, it simply have a huge impact on majority of games released today. Most of currently released games are cross platforms, to multiply the sells, including IP that started isometric.
- The Witcher IP is involved at it also happened with it. TW was a pc game that allowed isometric gameplay. TW2, TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are cross platforms games that only allow shoulder view. If you enjoyed TW1 on isometric, you are screwed.
- If you don't love isometric, sure you aren't screwed and it is good for you, but it doesn't mean the isometric players aren't screwed. They are.
- I never said that Keyboard + mouse or gamepad aren't fitted for shoulder view. I just said that because of the cross plateform mindset, the mouse based isometric gameplay is put aside. I am not saying that shoulder view must be mouse based. I just defend mouse based Isometric.
- On a side note, TW1 have amongs it three gameplay option, the ability to play something between isometric & shoulder view, and is mouse based. Not saying it is what i want, but it is technically possible.

Not making fun of you, but I think a big issue is your English makes it hard to understand what you're saying sometimes.

In any event, I think the point is that tons of PC exclusives were using two-handed controls (arrows plus mouse or WASD plus mouse) way before console and PC games started being merged. You seemed to be saying Witcher's third-person mode was built for a gamepad, or wasn't PC enough because you can't just use the mouse to walk around, which isn't really accurate or logical. If you were talking about Witcher 2 then yes, that game was built with future gamepad support in-mind. Like I said it's hard to tell exactly what you're saying sometimes.

Tl;dr Walking around with WASD isn't a gamepad issue and has been around since Quake or even earlier. Isometric/point-n-click was never the only way to play PC games.

naossano

Cipher
For the billion time, i am not saying that this gameplay was invented yesterday, i am saying that it multiplied (on a very large scale) with the current era, in which most games are cross platform, including IP that weren't like that, which is the case with TW, from TW2 onward. I never said it is the case with TW1. If you think so, you should quote the sentence that made you think that.

I am not saying that shoulder view isn't PC enough, just that it shouldn't replace iso in games that allowed it initially.

Deleted member 7219

I remember back when The Witcher was first announced and it looked a lot more like NWN (it was made in the Aurora engine). Back then it was originally designed for isometric.

At some point they decided to upgrade the visuals, go all out on the art design, put in some really nice textures and a lot of level of detail. When they did that I think they basically made it so third person / OTS was the better option. I do think it is better played as that.

Switch to isometric if you think it makes the larger fights easier, but I've completed the game around four times now and each time I've done it with third person.

Perkel

Arcane
I remember back when The Witcher was first announced and it looked a lot more like NWN (it was made in the Aurora engine). Back then it was originally designed for isometric.

At some point they decided to upgrade the visuals, go all out on the art design, put in some really nice textures and a lot of level of detail. When they did that I think they basically made it so third person / OTS was the better option. I do think it is better played as that.

Switch to isometric if you think it makes the larger fights easier, but I've completed the game around four times now and each time I've done it with third person.

Isn't OTS basically EE editon upgrade ? I don't remember such details now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom