Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Ezrite

Learned
I know but the Squirrels resembled talibans/Red Khmers or any other brutal group to me, their people might bed "ploughed" as they would say in the Witcher, by humans. But they are not better than Salamandra and even supported a fascist Empire who hold slaves.

naossano

Cipher
They are not saint at all, but they indeed shown being wronged, while there isn't enough elements provided to justify the order position. They should have balanced better the two group, especially BEFORE you pick a side.
Not only, you don't feel much the order being wronged, or having justification, but they aren't much guys to be sided with in the first chapters, unless you count the outskirt priest. They might be more layered if you pick their side, but there should be more reasons to pick their side first.

Anyway, the "good" side is supposed to be the neutral path.

Ezrite

Learned
Well I pretty much picked Order on Siegfried alone that I found much more sympathetic and caring than that black haired hagman of an elf. Also, Im not sure the squirrels been showed wrong. They pretty much do not give a fuck that their actions put the random mr elf and dwarf in more shit than they can ever imagine in the towns when they try to live a normal life while they blow up bridges and villages. Murky Waters is a typical example. A village who thanks to Geralt and historically had a good relationship to a even more odd and distant race of amphibious creatures where both been bound to the Lady of the Lake Godess. Then comes the elves who if I am not wrong, even was not in any trouble of pogrom on the small island. Yet the Order and the Squirrel Elves had to take the conflict to the village and the Vodyanoi. Lady of the Lake seems to be a neutral point they could have used. Hell, that place is super neutral in the way of things in Witcher 1.

I presume the good side for a Witcher is the neutral side but hard to keep hard lined in the middle. I really liked the king as a character. Almost all characters have flaws or really bad sides to them but can still be appealing or have some reason to their actions. I kinda find this been lacking in other bigger RPGS, cough, cough cough cough! Biowareugh! cough. At times.

Perkel

Arcane
I didn't want to dismiss it as dev laziness or something. I actually find this amusing from a determinist point of view. It means that stronger factors were at play and him acknowledging Geralt's "teachings" was just a ex post facto rationalization.

Because it was like that. Whole point of it was that his teaching were skewed via subjective thoughts. Jasques found its goal and Geralt words from Murky Waters gave him a push he needed.
What is more interesting is that Jasques wasn't evil nor his goals or his actions in context of what will come in future.

Big part of TW books is lesser and greater evil.
What is worse commit greater evil but to save city or do lesser evil and save few ?

Jasques choose greater evil to save as many as possible because he knew that non unified nations will fall to the winter and only united they would be able to oppose changes in climate.

Geralt knew that but couldn't deal with greater evil so he choose lesser evil.

Point is both Geralt and Jasques were not wrong as they simply had different perspectives and values. Geralt putting life of people he know first where Jasques put life of most of people before people he knew.

------
------

Now Wild Hunt part in this as why Alvin/Jasques had power to move between planes is different matter and CDPR probably didn't have in plan to do TW trilogy. Only known living person with such power was Ciri via Elder Blood gene which came from elves and even among them it was very rare thing as this is reason why Wild Hunt projects their image on that world instead moving physically.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Well I pretty much picked Order on Siegfried alone that I found much more sympathetic and caring than that black haired hagman of an elf. Also, Im not sure the squirrels been showed wrong. They pretty much do not give a fuck that their actions put the random mr elf and dwarf in more shit than they can ever imagine in the towns when they try to live a normal life while they blow up bridges and villages. Murky Waters is a typical example. A village who thanks to Geralt and historically had a good relationship to a even more odd and distant race of amphibious creatures where both been bound to the Lady of the Lake Godess. Then comes the elves who if I am not wrong, even was not in any trouble of pogrom on the small island. Yet the Order and the Squirrel Elves had to take the conflict to the village and the Vodyanoi. Lady of the Lake seems to be a neutral point they could have used. Hell, that place is super neutral in the way of things in Witcher 1.

I presume the good side for a Witcher is the neutral side but hard to keep hard lined in the middle. I really liked the king as a character. Almost all characters have flaws or really bad sides to them but can still be appealing or have some reason to their actions. I kinda find this been lacking in other bigger RPGS, cough, cough cough cough! Biowareugh! cough. At times.
Humans are fine though, because they bleed non-humans slowly and refrain from dramatic acts of violence. Well... except pogroms, lynching and everyday shenanigans - but it's all good with the law and not in the game :)

naossano

Cipher

My point is that you know the bad sides AND the good sides of the squirrel, while you only know the bad sides of the order. It is imbalanced IMO. They should have shown more good sides on the order side to allow to make a proper decision.

Ezrite

Learned
Was Jasques evil? I see him more as some kind of man who pragmatic maybe? He did what had to be done, in his vision to save the world. He was no shitty villian I say. He just had a vision of a superhunman, Maybe his alchemist would have mastered it in the end and made people not looking much weirder than Witchers.

Well, Im not saying its a good time for elves and dwarves. They are always so superior to humans in like 99% av all fantasy settings, yet they are losing hard on knock out.

The Order had Siegfried, I think he proved a good point to show the good side of the order. Also the Order established....order in Vizima as Foltest was of to god knows what, Im not sure about that point but they kept the city in control and protected it. The problem is, the Order is darkened cause of modern, Western secularism who view religion is a bad thing. Especially Crusades and such which they more or less symbolised. Also, the main villian was part of the Order so this overshadows the "good" things the order did. We would off need an Squirrel side kick to him to show they had wicked dicks too!

Consul

Arbiter
Just recently completed it. I liked the story, especially the confrontation with the main villain in epilogue. I think it could be possible for Triss to confirm the identity of GM if she was given the amulet, but the developers didn't want it to be completely and clearly answered.

Will I miss much if I skip the additional adventures present in the EE and jump straight to TW2? Is it a fan made content? The first one has no voice acting.

naossano

Cipher
Two of them are made by the develloppers and add some bits of backstory for the game world and some of the characters.

I don't think it is needed, but quite welcome. And the sum of those two is still shorter than a chapter of the main game, so you wouldn't lose too much time.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just recently completed it. I liked the story, especially the confrontation with the main villain in epilogue. I think it could be possible for Triss to confirm the identity of GM if she was given the amulet, but the developers didn't want it to be completely and clearly answered.

You mean Alvin.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Finished TW1 siding with the Scoia'tel. Really liked the ending and the ultimate absence of "you picked the right choice, here's a +5 sword" for most of your choices. There are some rewards better than others, but once you get used to there not being a "right" answer in every situation, it gets easier to get into the game. You make your choices, you deal with the consequences, but maybe not until much later.

Didn't really like
killing Siegfried, as he really wasn't that bad a guy, but at the same time he was just as ambitious as countless others in the game and would have had no problem killing every dwarf in town, including my good friend Zoltan. Felt really bad for Alvin, though. Also felt bad for that Witch I boned then turned over to the townspeople early in the game. She deserved better, but there really wasn't any other option. That mob was right.

Sykar

Arcane
Finished TW1 siding with the Scoia'tel. Really liked the ending and the ultimate absence of "you picked the right choice, here's a +5 sword" for most of your choices. There are some rewards better than others, but once you get used to there not being a "right" answer in every situation, it gets easier to get into the game. You make your choices, you deal with the consequences, but maybe not until much later.

Didn't really like
killing Siegfried, as he really wasn't that bad a guy, but at the same time he was just as ambitious as countless others in the game and would have had no problem killing every dwarf in town, including my good friend Zoltan. Felt really bad for Alvin, though. Also felt bad for that Witch I boned then turned over to the townspeople early in the game. She deserved better, but there really wasn't any other option. That mob was right.

In what way were they "right"?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll have to go back and reload that portion. Think the logic was "she's just as guilty as everyone else, but what, I should just kill everyone in town and let her go because... she had sex with me?" I mean, it's a good reason, but I felt that for the sake of keeping the community together she'd have to face justice for her voodoo dolls and such. She wanted justice so bad, but when it was used against her, she got all angry. What a hypocrite!

Sykar

Arcane
I'll have to go back and reload that portion. Think the logic was "she's just as guilty as everyone else, but what, I should just kill everyone in town and let her go because... she had sex with me?" I mean, it's a good reason, but I felt that for the sake of keeping the community together she'd have to face justice for her voodoo dolls and such. She wanted justice so bad, but when it was used against her, she got all angry. What a hypocrite!

They started it. Yes, she made some profits from it, but they always scorned her, while asking for her help whenever they were in need. Yes I had no problem slaughtering these rapists, murderers and double faced liars.

I even went with her without having sex, has no bearing whatsoever on my decision. This was for me one of the less grey choices.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, at least SHE gets a trial. You know, real justice. You'd deny that of everyone else in town. Eh, it's a game and as such, you only get two choices, but look at what happens if you do side with the town: then you see her true evil side. She curses everyone! Is killing her the lesser evil, or the greater evil?

A guy rapes a girl and she kills herself (iirc). Should I murder him, without trial? He doesn't deny it, but he is repentant.

Odo or whatever may or may not have killed his brother (but I never really gathered all that much evidence on this one) should he die too? Maybe the Witch *was* controlling him with that puppet? From Geralt's standpoint, Odo was on the bubble leaning towards full exoneration. There was a drinking contest with Odo or something that I am still not certain I did right, because I didn't find anything from that. Either way, I guess he deserves to die too.

The Reverend I did find evidence of his crimes, but again, killing him would lead to chaos. He is a respected leader and all.

I'll be honest: I was so negligent with my investigation of all three "prime evils" in town, technically from Geralt's standpoint, she was probably the most guilty of all. Either way, the town ends up a barren wasteland so there really isn't all that much C&C here. I was hoping by killing her, I'd save the children of the village and it's regular Joe citizens. No such luck.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't the witch or the demon or something state that the evil spirit dog only got summoned because the towns people were so immoral?

Give a witch over to a mob and fix nothing, or punish a whole corrupt town's population? Easy peasy. Never chose anything but the witch's side.

Although brofist for siding with the Scoia'Tael.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Although brofist for siding with the Scoia'Tael.
Thanks. I'll admit, in that game I got to a point in the swamps where I felt I had to pick a side, and didn't' really want to pick either. So I quit playing the game... for about 5 years. I finally went back and am very glad I did. This game really did too much right to miss.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A guy rapes a girl and she kills herself (iirc). Should I murder him, without trial? He doesn't deny it, but he is repentant.

You can't kill him. Unlike the rest of them, Mikul doesn't participate in the lynch mob.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You can't kill him. Unlike the rest of them, Mikul doesn't participate in the lynch mob.
Doing this from memory, but he dies anyhow, correct? And isn't his story part of of the Witchers speech/accusations at the end of Act 1? When he exits the cave, Geralt makes a point about Odo, about the rapist, and about the Reverend?

pippin

iirc you were supposed to meet him after killing the demon dog. i think he participated in the trap that sends geralt to jail.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
He doesn't die and I don't think he is involved with anything else after Act 1.
You are correct. I found this Let's Play on Youtube where the fellow goes through the end sequence starting at 20:30 or so. The developers do a pretty good job of making Abigail out to be no saint either, when she sold the poison to the girl who killed herself and doesn't seem bothered troubled by her own actions. Though after watching this, I had the sequence all messed up. Geralt does a pretty good job of trying to give everyone a chance to clear out/make good before he murders everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom