Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Sykar

Arcane
Well, at least SHE gets a trial. You know, real justice. You'd deny that of everyone else in town. Eh, it's a game and as such, you only get two choices, but look at what happens if you do side with the town: then you see her true evil side. She curses everyone! Is killing her the lesser evil, or the greater evil?

A guy rapes a girl and she kills herself (iirc). Should I murder him, without trial? He doesn't deny it, but he is repentant.

Odo or whatever may or may not have killed his brother (but I never really gathered all that much evidence on this one) should he die too? Maybe the Witch *was* controlling him with that puppet? From Geralt's standpoint, Odo was on the bubble leaning towards full exoneration. There was a drinking contest with Odo or something that I am still not certain I did right, because I didn't find anything from that. Either way, I guess he deserves to die too.

The Reverend I did find evidence of his crimes, but again, killing him would lead to chaos. He is a respected leader and all.

I'll be honest: I was so negligent with my investigation of all three "prime evils" in town, technically from Geralt's standpoint, she was probably the most guilty of all. Either way, the town ends up a barren wasteland so there really isn't all that much C&C here. I was hoping by killing her, I'd save the children of the village and it's regular Joe citizens. No such luck.

Are you kidding me?! Trial? By these cowards who gang up on one god damn woman? Who are the main reason the Beast got lose in the first place?
Odo? Exoneration? Did you actually pay attention what happened? Do you know what an Echniops is? Did you not take the hint with the dog mourning it's dead and buried master?
Killing him would lead to chaos? Says who? You think they can't find a quack who can spout religious nonsense all day long? Rofl

Yeah, YOU were negligent and helped rapists, murderers and two faced liars to get their way and bury their sin. Grats.

pippin

I do share your opinion. It becomes clear that village folk are quite pathetic, Odo especially. The priest was just a fanatic asshole. Barking at them a bit was just enough, in my opinion. Abigail was an interesting character, though, and in the long run it shows how gray the morality system in the game can be. Let's not forget this brief prologue, which could be seen as demo material, made you take decisions which were influenced by your own opinions on sexism and racism, which is quite a lot for a saga which is supposedly made of rape.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
You know, it is funny in a way but I think a lot of people are dismissive towards TW1 and don't bother with the details due to the whole thing with the sex cards. That is what was recognizable and easily passed on through the mainstream, the sex part. I actually think this game has a lot of nuances about racial and political tensions (it is certainly better than the teenage power fantasies that bioware seems to keep drudging up). By the way, didn't one of the developers say that the neutral ending is the canonical ending?

Sykar

Arcane
You know, it is funny in a way but I think a lot of people are dismissive towards TW1 and don't bother with the details due to the whole thing with the sex cards. That is what was recognizable and easily passed on through the mainstream, the sex part. I actually think this game has a lot of nuances about racial and political tensions (it is certainly better than the teenage power fantasies that bioware seems to keep drudging up). By the way, didn't one of the developers say that the neutral ending is the canonical ending?

The sex cards are hardly mandatory and make up maybe 1% of the game though, at best. IF people really base judgement on that about a game, then they deserve to be either laughed at or outright ignored.

pippin

The Neutral path is the "true" Witcher path, if I remember correctly. Even if you haven't read the books, you are told in-game that witchers behave like mercenaries with an ethical side, which is based on their refusal to involve in human killing. Then it comes another ethical question about how men can become monsters, which is presented in the interludes and during gameplay, and even in the ending (spoilers, but what the heck, is a 7 year old game). I do love the narrative in this game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, YOU were negligent and helped rapists, murderers and two faced liars to get their way and bury their sin. Grats.
So... a gal selling poison so ladies can kill themselves is better? A woman cursing a whole town is better? A woman who will fuck you to get out of the mess she caused is ... ok, of course that's better. But still, after I had in game intercourse with her and got her card, she served no other purpose for the sake of the game. Next time I play it, eh, I'll do a better job of my investigation. But I think I did more to heal the community than killing their spiritual leader ever did.

Stompa

Arcane
So... a gal selling poison so ladies can kill themselves is better? A woman cursing a whole town is better? A woman who will fuck you to get out of the mess she caused is ... ok, of course that's better. But still, after I had in game intercourse with her and got her card, she served no other purpose for the sake of the game. Next time I play it, eh, I'll do a better job of my investigation. But I think I did more to heal the community than killing their spiritual leader ever did.

There's this concept called "lesser evil", ever heard of it? The village is rotten to the core, there's nothing worth saving there. Who's gonna reform, that gavencar who dealt with terrorists for a chance for pussy? Or that drunkard, who inherited a great deal of money after he killed his brother? Or maybe that guard, who participated in the gang rape of his own girlfriend and later had you thrown into prison? Fuck, it's implied in the conversation with Alvin that villagers raped young Abigail and skinned her dog. Witch's actions were mostly a reaction to all of this. And chapter 4 proves that letting her live is a better choice.

Sykar

Arcane

Really, that's all there is to it? Pussy? Cursed a whole town? No she didn't, they themselves put them into that situation, the witch didn't make it better, but you still failed to pay attention. She was afraid for her life and needed some sort of protection. She also didn't poison anyone. She sold the poison.
So you'd have an entire town rotten to the core, and one of the guy as thanks for your deeds gets you jailed and you still defend them. Wow, the sheer delusion and ignorance it takes to defend these fucktards.
I didn't have sex with the witch and I chose to tell her that I chose the lesser of two evils and that's exactly what it was.
Yeah, what else was left for her to do? The town had it out for her for a long time and no one would stand up for her. What do you think she could have done instead? It was her only move left. When you side with the witch, Geralt states that he wants them to leave him and the witch alone, yet after Geralt and Abigail fought for them against the Beast they still have the audacity to attack them as a whole pack. So not only are they rapists, murderers and two faced liars, they are also backstabbing assholes. They do not dare to lay a finger on Geralt when he was at full capacity.

Gosh, stop talking, the more you talk the more you show you have no clue what really happened in the village. There is absolutely no argument for the villagers.

There's this concept called "lesser evil", ever heard of it? The village is rotten to the core, there's nothing worth saving there. Who's gonna reform, that gavencar who dealt with terrorists for a chance for pussy? Or that drunkard, who inherited a great deal of money after he killed his brother? Or maybe that guard, who participated in the gang rape of his own girlfriend and later had you thrown into prison? Fuck, it's implied in the conversation with Alvin that villagers raped young Abigail and skinned her dog. Witch's actions were mostly a reaction to all of this. And chapter 4 proves that letting her live is a better choice.
:bro:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some people on this forum take videogame stories a bit too personally.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really, that's all there is to it? Pussy? Cursed a whole town? No she didn't, they themselves put them into that situation, the witch didn't make it better, but you still failed to pay attention. She was afraid for her life and needed some sort of protection. She also didn't poison anyone. She sold the poison.
So you'd have an entire town rotten to the core, and one of the guy as thanks for your deeds gets you jailed and you still defend them. Wow, the sheer delusion and ignorance it takes to defend these fucktards.
I didn't have sex with the witch and I chose to tell her that I chose the lesser of two evils and that's exactly what it was.
Yeah, what else was left for her to do? The town had it out for her for a long time and no one would stand up for her. What do you think she could have done instead? It was her only move left. When you side with the witch, Geralt states that he wants them to leave him and the witch alone, yet after Geralt and Abigail fought for them against the Beast they still have the audacity to attack them as a whole pack. So not only are they rapists, murderers and two faced liars, they are also backstabbing assholes. They do not dare to lay a finger on Geralt when he was at full capacity.

Gosh, stop talking, the more you talk the more you show you have no clue what really happened in the village. There is absolutely no argument for the villagers.

:bro:
If Geralt was to exterminate every rotten town he'd still be busy. Just say "don't care, solve your own shit" and be on your way.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Letting the villagers have their 'trial' is the neutral side. Geralt doesn't intervene and simply walks away. If that involves kissing some villager ass, so be it.

Sykar

Arcane
Letting the villagers have their 'trial' is the neutral side. Geralt doesn't intervene and simply walks away. If that involves kissing some villager ass, so be it.

If that's how you want to see it. It's not what you say to the villagers though if you side with them so your argument is still flawed. If you do not side with the witch you basically have to chose one of the "I see you are right here so I side with you" type of dialogue choices. There is not a single choice which basically says "Fuck you all" and also combat the Beast all by yourself with neither Abigail or the priests help.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
In chapter IV Geralt reflects on his choice and states he didn't want to get involved. It is a bit inconsistent with the speech he gives in chapter I but I still see it as the most neutrally aligned choice.

Besides, a completely neutral choice (fuck you all) probably wouldn't have gotten him a city pass. So I consider it as necessary asskissing.

Sykar

Arcane
In chapter IV Geralt reflects on his choice and states he didn't want to get involved. It is a bit inconsistent with the speech he gives in chapter I but I still see it as the most neutrally aligned choice.

Besides, a completely neutral choice (fuck you all) probably wouldn't have gotten him a city pass. So I consider it as necessary asskissing.

It's not just "a bit" inconsistent. There is not even a small tell tale that he was lying when the dialogue options come up.The lines from the voice actor are conveyed like he was convinced by the garbage either one of those 3 S.O.Bs spewed. There is also not even a minor flag which might implicate that he is "asskissing".

So no, I do not accept it to be a "neutral" choice. It's a clear choice against the witch and for the villagers. If Geralt thinks otherwise then he is just deluding himself.

Xbalanque

Educated

yeah, the thing is, both books and games try to make you show that it is not always possible to stay impartial and refuse to choose sides, because when you do it you do in fact choose and choose the worse evil than if you would have intervened.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
So a guy filthy mutant walks out from a cave with a witch and a magical beast is attacking a town. Do you really think the mob that welcomed them would just let him go? (witchers don't have immunity to pitchforks)

He either has to trade her to them or hack his way out. They could include more dialogue choices to make it smoother, but in this situation there were only 2 real outcomes.

Also: it's funny when people argue about good and evil, as if it's something written in stone and the other party just read it wrong and has to be corrected :)

If a good choice has a bad outcome, was that a good choice?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Yes, truth and goodness require sacrifices.

edit :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom