Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Missing what exactly? This isnt an open world game.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Fuck me, thought Vizima were one o best cities in games since Britain, not got environmental interaction but shits oer most others around. Just shows horses for courses.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I love Vizima and could spend hours just playing dice poker, getting drunk, hunting for sex cards and getting into philosophical debates with Zoltan when I happened to run into him on the street. Certainly one of my favorite cities in any game. Even though Novigrad in TW3 is huge and gorgeous and full of nice little details, it feels kind of empty when I think of all the great time I had in Vizima.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I love Vizima. It feels alive, even if it is missing the small details (read: mechanics) from Bethesda games, like moveable clutter and such that makes the game feel more natural than "placed". NPCs talk to each other and it's not always the same 2 NPCs that do it. I was surprised I could talk to random "Noblewoman" and actually start a real conversation with them. So now I'm actually talking to random NPCs from time to time to see if they have something to say to me (and I got a few cool things from talking to them, so it really pays off).

It is a believable city. I don't like that you can enter only select houses, and that almost all of them have nothing worth noting, or that the NPCs are all the same. It's shit, but if the game had those things nailed then this could possibly be one of the best RPGs ever created.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So now I'm actually talking to random NPCs from time to time to see if they have something to say to me (and I got a few cool things from talking to them, so it really pays off).

You should because few no-name NPCs, in countryside at least, can actually do things like teach you some herb/beast lore that helps you penny pinch Orens early on and not necessarily forcing you to invest in Herbalism talent ASAP. It doesn't really matter in the long run, but it rewards explorers.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Those who complain about the combat probably play the game in 3rd person. Its much better isometric as ive mentioned. CDP shouldve never shipped the game with the over the shoulder camera.
Oh fuck off. The isometric camera sucks ass in this game. TW is perfectly playable in OTS and looks much better to boot.

tw3pdupf.jpg

twfiuk0.jpg

tw2llu5p.jpg

tw4txuhy.jpg

Not gonna get views like this in isometric cam. Not to mention it sucks ass. (I guess I did mention it. Oh well.)

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
^Still amazes me how them Polish lads made such a fuckin pretty game out o pig fuckin ugly NWN, ironic thing is you get dumbarses sayin first Witcher were a bad lookin game now, sure sign of a gobshite cunt.

Personally I use low isometric, pull camera down an you get vista views like OST, pull it up an you get full overhead control for scrappin, best o both world if you ask me.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Those who complain about the combat probably play the game in 3rd person. Its much better isometric as ive mentioned. CDP shouldve never shipped the game with the over the shoulder camera.
Oh fuck off. The isometric camera sucks ass in this game. TW is perfectly playable in OTS and looks much better to boot.

Not gonna get views like this in isometric cam. Not to mention it sucks ass. (I guess I did mention it. Oh well.)

You get good distance views, but it doesn't look better. Up above low poly and low res textures are less visible. Game is beautiful in isometric. Also, as mentioned, combat is much much better. But cant deny CDP did an amazing job with that engine.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always used isometric for combat and OTS for exploration. Combat is definitely designed with isometric camera in mind, not to mention that it gives you much better visibility. It is also much more spectacular than OTS since you can see the combat moves fully. If you haven't tried isometric combat, you have not truly experienced the combat in TW1.

Outside of combat OTS is the way to go. It is obvious that explorations and the environments are designed for OTS camera.

I gotta disagree. I think the only reason isometric is in the game is because it's a NWN engine, seems to me like the game was meant to be played entirely OTS. Not only is the exploration much better that way, as you mention, but the combat is much more visceral as well, if only it wasn't complete shit. OTS or isometric, clicking 200 times ain't much fun.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
^ Come on man. Visceral? Comabt doesnt work in OST because combat is hack and slash isomtetric at the core, just like Diablo or Divine Divinity or any other top down action rpg. Stop spreading bullshit.

Well, as I said before, I think it's only "click" based because that's how it worked in NWN engine. I wouldn't want to play it isometric, because 1) I hate switching modes in games, as it kills immersion and adds pointless busywork, and 2) since the combat is gonna be shit regardless of the mode, might as well enjoy its only redeeming quality, the visceral feel of those nice looking animations up close.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
First point, fair enough. Your second point, wrong. Combat in the game is not shit. You think its shit because you platy it from the shitty OST camera thinking its visceral or whatever. Play the game from ISO like its made for. Big mistake from CD project adding the OST camera.

DraQ

Arcane
:lol: @ adddeed being a moron, as usual.

OTS is better - it gives you better sight range (especially useful if facing rare ranged attackers or wanting to navigate terrain while fighting), without usual awareness cost (because of low click rate and character not being slaved to camera), looks better and doesn't clutter the screen with crappy GUI click effects.
Bonus points for retaining convenient ability to click on distant objects to approach and interact with them, inherited from isometric interface.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
OTS is pretty cool. Frankly the combat is not as responsive as I would like it to be, so playing in isometric is sort of pointless.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OTS is better - it gives you better sight range (especially useful if facing rare ranged attackers or wanting to navigate terrain while fighting), without usual awareness cost (because of low click rate and character not being slaved to camera), looks better and doesn't clutter the screen with crappy GUI click effects.
Isometric camera takes a little time to get used to, but it is very rewarding. I usually use OTS camera for the easier encounters, but for facing multiple oponents, OTS is a fucking pain in the ass and does not allow you to use the full potential of the combat system. How can someone like using groupstyle and not see half of the enemies he is hitting? You can't see their healthbars this way and you can't adjust your tactics properly, you can't even adjust Geralt to hit as many enemies as possible since you can't even see them all.

I have never had problems with ranged atackers, not to mention that they are far too few. Isometric allows for far better controls, expecially when it comes to rolling-it is actually possible to use rolling properly in isometric by clicking twice. It is also much easier to navigate the battlefield and to jump behind enemies. It also give you much better control when throwing bombs. If you have no proboulem with not seeing the entire battlefield and you don't do much maneuvaring around the battlefield, OTS is probably ok I guess.

Combat in TW1 is not shit at all, but I can see how people who play with OTS camera think the combat is shit as they have extremely limited control over their character this way. There are a lot of moves and tactics that would be a pain in the ass to execute with OTS camera, not to mention how hard it would be to determine what is actually going on when Geralt takes half of the screen.

But again, some people played Dragon Age with third person camera, so it must be a matter of taste.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
:lol: @ adddeed being a moron, as usual.

Bonus points for retaining convenient ability to click on distant objects to approach and interact with them, inherited from isometric interface.
Another dumbfuk. Go back to discussing Morrowind or some shit.

If you play TW1 with FCR (without FCR the combat is faceroll easy regardless of how you handle the UI) then OTS is highly important to help manage exactly what you are looking at at all times.

Dodging and seeing enemies behind you is just fine in OTS, dunno what you guys are talking about. And really, there's this thing called situational awareness in games. If the dumbass AI manages to sneak up behind you then you deserve to die.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
How can someone like using groupstyle and not see half of the enemies he is hitting?
I do, actually. Allowing enemies to get behind your back is something you should generally avoid anyway, group style or not, and the game still allows you to look around quite freely in combat even with the OTS camera, so that visibility is never an actual issue. With the OTS camera you can see everything you should see and nothing that you shouldn't see (I'd draw a comparison between first-person shooters and third-person cover shooters, but maybe that's a bit unfair), and I also find the OTS view much more precise than the top-down view when it comes to dodging and aiming. Dodging especially is something that works the best and the most naturally with the OTS view and WASD controls.

But again, some people played Dragon Age with third person camera, so it must be a matter of taste.
The top-down camera in DA:O was completely useless (and much worse than in TW1), as it was so close to the ground that you couldn't really see anything with it, and you were constantly attacked by enemies that didn't even fit the goddamn screen. The only thing it was good for was aiming certain AoE spells, aside from upholding the illusion of playing "an old school RPG", of course.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I think I've finished W1 3 times but never played in isometric. Next time maybe.

How can someone like using groupstyle and not see half of the enemies he is hitting?
I do, actually. Allowing enemies to get behind your back is something you should generally avoid anyway, group style or not, and the game still allows you to look around quite freely in combat even with the OTS camera, so that visibility is never an actual issue.

Situational Awareness Bitches!

baturinsky

Arcane
Near the end of Act 2... Is Shani ever fucks with Witcher when any of them are sober? Or drunk sex is their thing?

Frozen

Arcane
Has anyone played those side adventures?
All I did until now are utter shit. Im currently on the one where you are in some shitty village on behest of king of Kovir chasing some irrelevant peasant, merchant whatever..
And it crashes all the fucking time.
Even the one done by CD Projekt i guess because it has VA (side effects) - Dandelion fucked up again collect 3000 orens doing banal things the end.
I know that price of neutrality is OK but other done by modders omfg lol...
And I guess these are better one because they are sold with base game lmfao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom