Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

duchU

Educated
The thing is TW2 doesn't give a fuck about your TW1 choices the same way TW3 doesn't care about TW2 choices. This is the worst thing in the whole series. I have completed TW1 three times at least (a long time ago), bought TW2 on day one and completed it just a few months ago because I have been pissed so much about the beginning I couldn't go on (plus I kinda hate combat in TW2 - it feels like playing as a snail or a turtle).
Well, The Witcher 2 cares a bit more about TW1 choices than Witcher 3 about TW2.
At least Siegfried is in here unlike him and Iorveth in TW3 if you played your cards right in TW1
And I feel that The Witcher 2 did better job at siding Triss with Geralt unlike The Witcher 3 with black & white wench.
Unless you prefer Shani over Triss. In that case you are fucked hard by TW2... and neither HoS nor BaW fix it either.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
So if the main menu to load menu transition feels sluggish, I highly recommend visiting your save folder and deleting everything but the last few saves.
+1

And, when you meet him in front of the cloister after the battle, he has some desperate plight - "Please, stop dealing with those non-humans." Its the tone of his voice thats so depressing.

v1rus

Arcane
Oh boy, that sure was a good ending. And i didnt see the twist coming. :incline:
It was pretty :negative:

Only thing I disliked - Geralt takes out his silver sword to finish him, and I'm thinking OH YEAH BABY, THATS THE... and then he spoils the process by fucking underlining it so fuckin' hard - "But that one is for monsters!!!" :negative:

naossano

Cipher
I don't recall all the details, but i remember that i was about to shout Geralt to shut the fuck out.
We get an antagonist that is not a villain but a well-intentioned extremist who is laying out why he does what he does and we have the white haired guy answering like the guy was a complete monster. This is supposed to be a fucking rpg. At least give me the option to be more understanding, but compelled to act for the bigger picture. Here is a scene in which i am almost rooting for the antagonist and totally agains't the protagonist, while i whould at least be able to get myself into the shoes of the guy i am supposed to play.

thesoup

Arcane
The main "antagonist" did nothing wrong.
And I think that's the beauty of the witcher: everything is shit, everyone is shit and you just happen to be on one side of the fence, forcefully drawn into the mess, which is why the "right" side is neutral in theory / canon. I mean, quite fankly, Azar Javed was right at his little speech at the end of chapter 3. Salamandra was in no way any worse than scoia'tel or the order, or even foltest. And Beregar did nothing wrong, he just suffered because the witchers decided his life for him and took what he wanted from him.
Which is why idealogues, but not zealots, such as Siegfried really shine because they are one of the few truly virtuous people on any side, as opposed to bioware games where an entire race or faction is virtuous and the other race or faction is just made of assholes. That said, only faggots sided with scoia'tel.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I fucking loved the ending and reveal, you go from self righteous avenger to shmuck who just killed little kid he pledged to protect, an Jacque even parrots your own words back at you to justify his motivation. Clever way of telling player that he should never be sure of himself, rolling up central "what is a monster" theme of game, and leading into Witcher 2 theme of "what is a witcher."

thesoup

Arcane
And when dandelion brings it up, geralt goes to full denial mode.
Tbh alvin's biography would be very intersting to read / watch or even play.

v1rus

Arcane
The main "antagonist" did nothing wrong.

Well, i gotta nitpick here - every single great antagonist of film/theater/w/e did nothing wrong, really, except being on the opposite side of the protagonist. Every single good antagonist is actually a protagonist of another story. Thats what gives the story weigh - both sides are right in a certain way.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
It has fundamentally the same gist throughout the trilogy. Click in a good moment to extend a combo.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Indeed.

Witcher 1 Chapter IV is a masterpiece of atmosphere building.

In fact, even though I love the design, presentation and NPCs of Vizima, Chapters I and IV are my favorite Chapters, by far.

waterdeep

Learned
Going from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 is very frustrating. The controls are shit, the alchemy is shit, the combat is shit, the talent tree is shit, and my god don't even get me started on the inventory. Just pure console shit.

duchU

Educated
Going from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 is very frustrating. The controls are shit, the alchemy is shit, the combat is shit, the talent tree is shit, and my god don't even get me started on the inventory. Just pure console shit.
And that feeling when you wake up beside the chick you didn't choose... even more shitier. It's like devs want to actually tell you 'Fuck you, we know better what's good for you'.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The lily has yet to be engulfed by fire.

Also, lel how Witcher 2 fucked up Sabrina Glevissig

oC5Lzje.jpg

baturinsky

Arcane
I loved Witcher 1 for three chapters and a half, but then I got fed of running circles on the same locations for hundredths time. Especially considering key NPC are disappearing and moving around at whim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom