Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Zer0wing

Cipher
Especially considering key NPC are disappearing and moving around at whim.
Hey, I liked that detail, at least in Vizima it makes sense since even if key NPC, they're still people who have other things to do than standing in one place and waiting for Geralt.

mbv123

Arbiter
Is there anyone who joined the squirrels? They're basically a fictional version of BLM and if they didn't exist and terrorize the population by killing innocents, non-humans wouldn't be treated so horribly. I joined the Order because Siegfried is a bro and I felt I owed him after he gave me his manly virgin tears.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Is there anyone who joined the squirrels? They're basically a fictional version of BLM and if they didn't exist and terrorize the population by killing innocents, non-humans wouldn't be treated so horribly. I joined the Order because Siegfried is a bro and I felt I owed him after he gave me his manly virgin tears.
Yeah and Soros is literally Emhyr.

baturinsky

Arcane
Especially considering key NPC are disappearing and moving around at whim.
Hey, I liked that detail, at least in Vizima it makes sense since even if key NPC, they're still people who have other things to do than standing in one place and waiting for Geralt.
Yes, but it got out of hand. At least in chapter 1-3 I knew that I can, say, catch Shani in temple at day and at home at night. But I could never catch Triss or that guard captain no matter the time to advance their quests.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Yes, but it got out of hand. At least in chapter 1-3 I knew that I can, say, catch Shani in temple at day and at home at night. But I could never catch Triss or that guard captain no matter the time to advance their quests.
AFAIK Triss is at home during daytime before 17:30. It just works that way as she lives in there. Guard captain can be tricky one, yes.

mbv123

Arbiter
Triss can also be found occasionally at the inn talking with the fat merchant who gives you quests relating to Salamandra
I never had trouble finding NPCs since you usually get the basic idea where they are.
Worst case scenario that there's a quest involving them that you don't know about yet (happened to me with Siegfried and the Swamp)

mbv123

Arbiter
Just finished the game and wow...
Grandmaster was actually Alvin???
Now I feel bad about killing him, the fanatical madman that he was. After I realized that, i felt that a part of me just died.

v1rus

Arcane
Now I feel bad about killing him, the fanatical madman that he was. After I realized that, i felt that a part of me just died.

Ye, great plot twist.

baturinsky

Arcane
Btw, can someone explain me, why Shani insisted that Alvin stays with her, if she knows that Salamanders are after him? How does she plan to protect him?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Too bad he went insane either way. I'd get it if Geralt left Alvin with Triss, but how Shani could influence such behavior?

Well, considering that Alvin is a source, he is likely to go crazy if he doesn't have a mage supervising him and teaching him how to control his powers.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Too bad he went insane either way. I'd get it if Geralt left Alvin with Triss, but how Shani could influence such behavior?

He went insane because of the visions caused by the Elder Blood. Triss purpose was to teach Alvin the ways of magic so he could learn how to control his power (which is what Triss tried to do with Ciri in the books).

Btw, can someone explain me, why Shani insisted that Alvin stays with her, if she knows that Salamanders are after him? How does she plan to protect him?

Because she is retarded.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I never really held stories in games in high regard, but damn - I am really happy I finished TW1 unspoilered.

v1rus

Arcane
Was meaning to ask this for ages - polish people, how do you feel about the translation of the game?

From what I remember, dialogues were without any sense of character or substance, something the II and III game do amazingly right.

Tytus

Arcane
Was meaning to ask this for ages - polish people, how do you feel about the translation of the game?

From what I remember, dialogues were without any sense of character or substance, something the II and III game do amazingly right.

Well, yeah from what I know ATARI handled the translation (with some tips from CDPR) and they butchered it, cause they treated it like every other game. Didn't have the grasp on the culture, history or even the books themselves.
The translation of II and III were handled in house by CDPR themselves, that is why it is superior.

Master

Arbiter
Funny dialogues were part of Witcher 1s charm bro. Actually in 2 and 3 they fucked it up by polishing it. But this polish bug caught them even earlier, in the Enhanced Edition of 1 when they rerecorded a bunch of lines for no reason. For example the canibal grampa was completely fucked up. This is why the true connoisseurs of the Witcher experience play only the original, unpolished version.:obviously:

Sykar

Arcane
The main "antagonist" did nothing wrong.
And I think that's the beauty of the witcher: everything is shit, everyone is shit and you just happen to be on one side of the fence, forcefully drawn into the mess, which is why the "right" side is neutral in theory / canon. I mean, quite fankly, Azar Javed was right at his little speech at the end of chapter 3. Salamandra was in no way any worse than scoia'tel or the order, or even foltest. And Beregar did nothing wrong, he just suffered because the witchers decided his life for him and took what he wanted from him.
Which is why idealogues, but not zealots, such as Siegfried really shine because they are one of the few truly virtuous people on any side, as opposed to bioware games where an entire race or faction is virtuous and the other race or faction is just made of assholes. That said, only faggots sided with scoia'tel.

Neutral all the way to the bitter end. :obviously:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Well, yeah from what I know ATARI handled the translation (with some tips from CDPR) and they butchered it, cause they treated it like every other game. Didn't have the grasp on the culture, history or even the books themselves.

They didn't handle it per se. They "merely" heavily meddled. For example, they imposed a total word limit. AFTER the bulk of translating was done, of course.

Master

Arbiter
The main "antagonist" did nothing wrong.
And I think that's the beauty of the witcher: everything is shit, everyone is shit and you just happen to be on one side of the fence, forcefully drawn into the mess, which is why the "right" side is neutral in theory / canon. I mean, quite fankly, Azar Javed was right at his little speech at the end of chapter 3. Salamandra was in no way any worse than scoia'tel or the order, or even foltest. And Beregar did nothing wrong, he just suffered because the witchers decided his life for him and took what he wanted from him.
Which is why idealogues, but not zealots, such as Siegfried really shine because they are one of the few truly virtuous people on any side, as opposed to bioware games where an entire race or faction is virtuous and the other race or faction is just made of assholes. That said, only faggots sided with scoia'tel.

Neutral all the way to the bitter end. :obviously:

That elf dude was cool when you got to know him a bit. Siegfried was okay at first but became total lunatic later for no reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom