Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Really? I thought Diablo 2 was best, lore wise. Isn't that the one where they actually introduced all the major concepts? I thought that before 2, the prime evils and all that jazz was just flavor text in a manual.

The thing is that this stuff is in *cinematics* - the rest, apparent in the game itself is devoid of original feel and context, reading like an edgy, generic fantasy tale #44 that tries too hard.

All the people who made Diablo 3 can go die in a fire though.

Then I almost pity the fate of Boyarski.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really? I thought Diablo 2 was best, lore wise. Isn't that the one where they actually introduced all the major concepts? I thought that before 2, the prime evils and all that jazz was just flavor text in a manual.

The thing is that this stuff is in *cinematics* - the rest, apparent in the game itself is devoid of original feel and context, reading like an edgy, generic fantasy tale #44 that tries too hard.

Agreed, that's why I recommended watching the cinematics on youtube.

hiver

Objection!
Leading the witnesses.

mr Boyarsky can hardly get blamed for streamlining the shit out of that game and the rest of its numerous faults that undermined everything in it. Plus, its very hard to imagine Leonard had an executive role in the design or could say "no" to what the money grabbing assholes wanted.

move to strike from the record.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ why not just watch a movie instead?

I would love to, recommend me some, I'm having trouble finding some after watching all the ones I know of and am interested in.

But also, the D2 cinematics are a kind of self contained story so they are kind of like a movie in that respect.

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo 2 sure did introduce a lot of stuff. The problem is that this stuff was mostly shitty.

Diablo 1 world construction was as simple as a brick (but just as effective). Most of the stuff was implicitly assumed by player based on tone, atmosphere, environments and in the least part - dialogue.

So you had something along the lines of medieval europe, exceptions being actual working magic, more permissivensss towards scantily clad women with bows, and, of course demonic infestation in the cathedral. That's the mundane layer.
Beyond that you had mostly symmetrical, manichaeistic conflict between heaven and hell that were to be interpreted not too differently from common christian mythology unless explicitly conflicting. The differences included aforementioned symmetry, lack of actively involved central figure of monotheistic god and conflict between agents of light and darkenss spanning all creation. Everything involving this second layer could be considered unknown to all but a handful of powerful and secretive mortals allying themselves with either one of the powers, so it caused no distortion to the quasi-medieval image described before.

Then you had rare bits of specific stuff - essentially Horadrim and some demonology.

Effectively this meant that while sketchy, Diablo 1 lore could have its blanks readily filled in by player based on RL history, mythology and religion, and the result was incredibly atmospheric and worked really well in conjunction with walking around dank dungeons, killing abominable monstrosities and reading tomes of magic and forgotten lore.

Now Diablo 2 was more specific, the problem was that specifics it brought in were mostly shit and countered pretty much all the strengths of D2. Sure, there was some good stuff - Tyrael was cool, and cutscenes were pretty great - entirely consistent with what was established in D1.
What was neither great nor consistent with anything in particular was:

1. Player classes. In D1 sorcerer was basically some middle-eastern outlander, fighter fit without problems and only the rogue needed some intensive shoehorning to finally fit in.
In D2 the amount of scantily clad women incresed 2-fold without adequate reason, worse with completely inadequate reasons being present (amazons fit in how exactly?), ill fitting barbarian with unfitting lore. Only paladin and necro could be persuaded to work with reasonable amount of effort.

2. Ill fitting sociogeographical crap intorduced by ill fitting classes as their ill fitting backgrounds.

2. All overland monsters. They basically broke the masquerade. In D1 the best you can count on not in the dungeons were cloaked raiders mentioned by NPCs that might at best be suspected to be inhuman or not entirely human.

3. Mundane, non-human sapients - I'm speaking of catgirls, possibly goatmen (if confirmed to be not demons, CBA to check) and fucking ents. Sorry catgirls, but as much as I like furries, this is wrong story - now GTFO.

4. Entire act 3. It effectively broke last vestiges of implied consistency with RL medieval period, its popular depictions and christian mythology (along with popular depictions), by removing central position of the church and turning implied Vatican into some swampy Aztec shit. The diablo is now broken. Whatever you might have liked about D1, even if largely just implied, has been replaced by a kitchensink of derpy fantasy shit you don't care about, have no reason to care about and probably shouldn't admit to caring about as it would merely show that you're an idiot whith shit taste.

Gord

Arcane
This talk about Diablo and the Tristram theme makes me want to replay it.
Too bad I lost my CD. I suspect my old flat mate missplaced it, I thought I had borrowed it to him, but he never returned it and he couldn't find it anymore... :(

He didn't even like it.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I do agree the Diablo 2 cinematics were pretty nice! Some righteous dude has uploaded them back-to-back on Youtube:

Kirtai

Augur
This talk about Diablo and the Tristram theme makes me want to replay it.
Too bad I lost my CD. I suspect my old flat mate missplaced it, I thought I had borrowed it to him, but he never returned it and he couldn't find it anymore... :(

He didn't even like it.

If you still have the CD key you might be able to register it on blizzards site and download it from them.

Akratus

Patron
Basing the story around the doomed and pathethic marius is as genius as modern Blizzard is retarded.

But let's stop derailing the thread.

Did anyone else hate the 4th wall breaking LotR reference in act 2? That came out of nowhere.

Deleted member 7219

Basing the story around the doomed and pathethic marius is as genius as modern Blizzard is retarded.

But let's stop derailing the thread.

Did anyone else hate the 4th wall breaking LotR reference in act 2? That came out of nowhere.

What reference would that be?

odrzut

Arcane
Tolkien references - yep, that was stupid. They could have done it better like Sapkowski did in novels with Graal myths or some stories (include in lore-compatible way, it's easy when you have inter-universe travel available).

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOQcXJAshUQ

EDIT - but that wasn't act 2, I don't remeber any from act 2.

Gerrard

Arcane
That's in act 2. There's actually another one with the mine quest.

Deleted member 7219

Ah, yes, that is idiotic. I think they would have got away with it if they didn't have Iorveth say "One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them", and Geralt's little moronic reference to the hobbits at Mt. Doom. I've only played that part of Act 2 the one time, I usually ally with BROche.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Geralt's sardonic tone turned it from retarded to funny. Never had any problems with it, and I probably hate that kind of references more than most people.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, that was pretty hamfisted, in my opinion. Hadn't seen it in-game (I've only allied with BROche thus far).

yellowcake

Arcane
I do agree the Diablo 2 cinematics were pretty nice! Some righteous dude has uploaded them back-to-back on Youtube:

I remember watching them out of a cd that came with some gaming magazine, together with Brood War trailer in pre-Internet times. These are the peak of Blizzard storytelling IMHO.

Akratus

Patron

I remember watching them out of a cd that came with some gaming magazine, together with Brood War trailer in pre-Internet times. These are the peak of Blizzard storytelling IMHO.

It's made (or at least written by) blizzard north. And then the other blizzard killed that company.

Gord

Arcane
If you still have the CD key you might be able to register it on blizzards site and download it from them.

Hm, good idea, will try. Hope the CD key wasn't with the CD though, getting the box is already complicated enough.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Hm, good idea, will try. Hope the CD key wasn't with the CD though, getting the box is already complicated enough.

Erm, if it's about D1 then what CD Key? My copy legal doesn't need one, nor has one.

Gord

Arcane

Erm, if it's about D1 then what CD Key? My copy legal doesn't need one, nor has one.

Well, there goes that possibility then, I guess...

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Full combat rebalance coming on June 20th.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...mes-out-june-20th-massive-changelog-revealed/

Changelog

GENERAL CHANGES
-Up to 80% increase in responsivness per Geralt’s animations.
-Up to 50% increase in repsonsivness per NPCs animations.
-Added strafing while being locked on an enemy and walking.
-Geralt can block while moving ( NEW ANIMATIONS ). Static Guard Stance is no longer required to parry enemy attacks.
-Geralt automatically parries enemy sword attacks and deflects incoming arrows.
-Geralt and his attackers are no longer bouncing off parry. It allows to continue attack sequence.
-Monster attacks still cannot be parried with a sword.
-While using Guard Stance Geralt channels an active Quen shield.
-Above listed changes to defence mechanics decreased importance of rolling in combat.

ENEMIES
-Durability of enemies is based on their defensive skills and armor, not just high vitality.
-Mages and assassins don’t use duration based shields, instead they have a chance to block each attack seperately, including witcher Signs. This removes the duration godmode from enemies that forced player to run away.
-Letho and elite assassins will counterattack when player is relentlessly attacking them.
-Arachas and Endriaga Queens learn they should defend against sword attacks after receiving few hits.
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
-Decreased the number of skills to ensure quality over quantity.
-Geralt now starts with core witcher skills already learned. No need to go through Training tree before unlocking other branches.
-Removed many passives from skill tree to replace them with more active abilities. Remaining passives are changed to make them more attractive.
-All skills now have one level ( previously 2 ).
-Aard and Igni Signs have been changed from projectile to cone area of effect.
-Riposte doesn’t require Guard Stance to activate, only attacking in a timed window.
-Changed riposte animations ( NEW ANIMATIONS, DUH ) to prevent Geralt from sliding on enemies.
-Experience points are given only for progressing through quests, not for killing enemies. This encourages role-playing without worrying about missing experience.
-Geralt no longer buys witcher specific recipies from random merchants. He recalls lost memories as a part of character development.

BALANCE
-Each enemy is balanced according to his constitution, combat skill, combat style, weapon and armor type. Following this pattern allowed to created consistent rules that every character follows. A barechested bandit won’t survive more hits than a knight in platemail just because the bandit was encountered later in game.
-Decreased the disproportion in stats between starting equipment and late game equipment.
-Moved the weight of character power from equipment to character development. Learned skills should have as big impact on Geralt’s badass factor as items.
-Geralt’s armors are split into 4 categories: leather jackets, heavy leather jackets, combat jackets and heavy combat jackets. Heavier armors impose small damage penalty on Geralt. Players need to choose between max damage and protection.
-Items imported from The Witcher savegames are of the same quality as in the first game. An exceptional armor and weapon remains valuable. This makes the game easier, but it is an intentional reward.
-Set elixirs and oils duration to 1 hour.
-Added potion overdose and heavy overdose debuffs on toxicity thresholds 55 and 65.
-Removed Fatigue penalty that decreased sword damage and damage reduction on block when Vigor was spent on Signs or Parry. It discouraged some players from using Signs becaused it decreased Geralt’s sword DPS.
-NPCs deal full damage to other NPCs.
-Removed 50% Hit Points condition for throwing enemy off height with Aard.
-Decreased Riposte damage multiplier to 1.0, but added 30% enemy parry chance debuff.
-Riposte no longer costs Vigor.
-Silver throwing daggers are considered as silver weapons for damage calculations against monsters.
-Inceneration, Bleeding and Poisoning effects are allowed to be active at the same time.
-Made quest experience rewards more consistent. There are no longer any situations where player is rewarded with 50 experience points for one quests and 2000 for another.
-Made moral choices in quests equally rewarding in terms of experience and items. Players should be encouraged more to role-play instead of weighing quest rewards.
-Geralt gains knowledge about monsters faster.
-Changed rewards for gaining knowledge about monsters to monster specific oils for swords.
-Set minimal damage dealt by Geralt to zero ( was 5 ).
-Removed bonus damage for backstabs. Geralt is not parrying attacks coming from behind, so there is a penalty already. Backstab damage bonus would be an overkill. As for the the enemies, this change removes the urge for immersion breaking behavior, like constantly rolling behind an enemy for bonus damage.
-Changed arena item rewards for each wave to fit mod item progression.
-Decreased amount of enemies in few arena waves.
-Finally soaked boots in tutorial weigh more than dry boots!!

ECONOMY
-Decreased the number of armors and weapons present in game. Amount of equipment is adjusted to provide smoother item progression without making huge amount of items useless stat-wise.
-Weapons and armors that are present in the game were picked according to these rules: visual differentiation, witcher low level magic setting. Some items available in game assets but not used in original game were reintroduced.
-Moved more quality items from quest rewards to shops and distributed them among Chapters. Player should be encouraged to regulary spend money in shops.
-Decreased buying cost of swords and armors. Player should be able to buy items more often, not hoard money.
-Decreased amount of loot dropped from enemies.
-Removed some of the junk items from container definitions.
-Made vendors specialize in certain type of merchandize.
-Witcher specific recipies cannot be bought but also cannot be sold to merchants.
VISUALS
-Added Focused Combat Stance. Geralt enters focused state during challenging encounters. It’s a visual eyecandy, so it happens automatically based on calculated combat threat level.
-While in Focused Stance Geralt performs piruettes ( NEW ANIMATION ) instead of rolling and uses Guard Stance idle animation.
-Enemies explode when killed by mage spells. Does not apply to witcher Signs – they are not that powerful.
-Made finisher animations which use Signs unlocked by upgrading Aard and Igni in character development.
-Removed cutscene swords. Geralt will use his currently equipped sword in all cutscenes.
-Equipped enemies with swords according to their social status, wealth and current situation in the game. For example, soldiers patrolling areas near ghost fog in Act 2 are equipped with silver swords like the story suggests.
-Decreased camera shake effect used on each step of huge creatures like trolls and golems.
-Removed green cloud effect from enemy poisoning FX.

FIXES
-Tweaked anim events in all combat animations to improve timings and responsivness.
-Fixed sword oils not providing bonus damage against monsters.
-Fixed Circle of Power: Endurance giving Circle of Power: Vitality bonus.
-Fixed a bug where Geralt was always doing 2 more steps after roll before stopping.

OTHER
-Changed item rarity names to reflect witcher’s low level magic setting. Items are no longer MAGICAL and EPIC.
-Decreased attacked enemy importance for targetting to make switching enemies easier.
-Many, many other changes that were required to make features listed above work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom