Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If the witcher (1) has "action rpg" combat then Guitar Hero is also an action RPG.
Edgy.

And yet there couldn't be a more apt comparison. Certainly among rpg I could only think of the witcher as the one game that plays and acts exactly like stuff such as Guitar Hero. "Flaming sword" click, "flaming sword" click, "flaming sword" clickety.

Angthoron

Arcane
If the witcher (1) has "action rpg" combat then Guitar Hero is also an action RPG.
Edgy.

And yet there couldn't be a more apt comparison. Certainly among rpg I could only think of the witcher as the one game that plays and acts exactly like stuff such as Guitar Hero. "Flaming sword" click, "flaming sword" click, "flaming sword" clickety.
You had two buttons to press in Diablo for the most part. I guess Diablo is a Guitar Hero-like? Also, flaming sword disappears once you play on anything a notch higher than Normal. Granted, it's still about timing and "whoosh", and it's a strange system, but eh, they tried something of their own, why not. I rather have some failed systems in an RPG than every single one of them being a direct clone of the other.

But Angthoron-kun, what about Aerie-chan? :desu:
Actually, I'll shock you but Aerie's romance is very believable from a perspective of a clingy, naive young girl. You save her life, she falls for you head over heels, and if you react to her advances, a babby is formed and even kidnapped, so there's some actual consequences for your character screwing around with party members. She even mans up a bit, and unlike most Bio characters it's not done offscreen.

Also,
I'm actually mostly fucking with you on that one, Aerie is a pretty bad romance, but I'll give her this - she's actually a good display of explicit player-centric character.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Edgy.

You had two buttons to press in Diablo for the most part. I guess Diablo is a Guitar Hero-like?

Except that there is absolutely no rhythm you have to cater to to make your skills work in Diablo. Witcher 1 makes you follow a precise, constant, repetitive rhythm to get attack chains.
Diablo is conceptually a simple game, but it's not a rhythm game. I wasn't comparing the witcher 1 to guitar hero because of some dumb shit like "it's pressing one button" but because it very much *IS* a rhythm mini game you have to follow.

Angthoron

Arcane
Edgy.

You had two buttons to press in Diablo for the most part. I guess Diablo is a Guitar Hero-like?

Except that there is absolutely no rhythm you have to cater to to make your skills work in Diablo. Witcher 1 makes you follow a precise, constant, repetitive rhythm to get attack chains.
Diablo is conceptually a simple game, but it's not a rhythm game. I wasn't comparing the witcher 1 to guitar hero because of some dumb shit like "it's pressing one button" but because it very much *IS* a rhythm mini game you have to follow.
Technically you don't have to follow it. Build your character to be less dependent on the swords and you can do shit without rhythm. Hell, I played a good chunk of the game without following rhythm properly because I'm used to playing with volume down, and on the difficulty level I had, sword didn't light up. Luckily I branched into magic rather than swords.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I didn't mind the system quite as much, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wish i had the time or inclination to go about taking screens of all the awkward dialog or scene moments in the Witcher 2. The pacing, transitions, writing quality and characters are all a bit off and not quite right.

Maybe it's the english translation, but through the game it is all very "action, boobs, blood, fuck yeah Geralt the invincible manwhore".

It all goes down to the character of Geralt himself, i highly doubt he is portrayed as such in the books (if so then i dont get why they get much praise), a character that went through so much only to act like a horny teenager with self control problems every chance he gets, its all very jarring.

How does the author of the books feel about all of this is beyond me.

1) Witcher 2 was written for English first, Polish second, as far as I understand things. There are no translation issues either way, everything is well-written and makes perfect sense. The jokes, sarcasm, threats etc. all come across perfectly. The questions and answers line up well. This is all in stark contrast to the original Witcher, which had a shit translation.

2) You seem to focus on the sex shit when there's like 3 or 4 sex scenes in the entire game. It's not a big part of the story, at all. Geralt is very consistent, he is a Witcher and hunts monsters for money, and he's out to clear his name so he can keep doing that (and eventually go after Yennefer). If you go the Iorveth path you can make him into somewhat of a freedom fighter, which I don't think works, but that's a decision you make for the most part.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witcher 2's English was written by a Codexer, so of course it's excellent.

Perhaps Kem0sabe just doesn't like the whole Game of Thrones-esque grimdark/edgy-medieval thing.

Angthoron

Arcane

Perhaps Kem0sabe just doesn't like the whole Game of Thrones-esque grimdark/edgy-medieval thing.
Thanks Infinitron, now you ruined The Witcher series for me with that GoT thing.

Not really though, since source material of TW predates GoT, but nice try.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Thanks Infinitron, now you ruined The Witcher series for me with that GoT thing.

I didn't mean to say that the Witcher novels were inspired by Game of Thrones, or similar to it. I meant that Witcher 2 specifically (and not Witcher 1) was.

Angthoron

Arcane

I didn't mean to say that the Witcher novels were inspired by Game of Thrones, or similar to it. I meant that Witcher 2 specifically (and not Witcher 1) was.
Well, it certainly was grimdark. Of course, the novels weren't exactly rays of sunshine either. Still, hopefully TW3 will swing more into direction of TW1 in terms of atmosphere. Want more Slav Fantasy.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
All GoT references to the Witcher are fucking dumb. The Witcher is Polish pulp-fictiony fantasy nonsense full of tits and gore, but that is where the resemblance to GoT ends. The tone is completely different, the writing is nothing like what Martin has produced, etc. The Witcher books are basically comic books without pictures.

These types of "leaks" are almost always intentional, and intended by the developer to promote the product.

I don't think they would intentionally leak bugtracks with comments like "gameplay is boring here" or "Dialogue needs to change, Geralt looks like an idiot"

:lol:

Since this one died, here's a mirror posted on the reddit thread.

https://mega.co.nz/#!WNJHAaIB!cZM4AX9jeX_pNU67WU3OCiKA4_spsweEr7nv600cAXE

remember not to download it in case you are worried about spoilers of a game based on an old pulp fantasy series

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All GoT references to the Witcher are fucking dumb. The Witcher is Polish pulp-fictiony fantasy nonsense full of tits and gore, but that is where the resemblance to GoT ends. The tone is completely different, the writing is nothing like what Martin has produced, etc. The Witcher books are basically comic books without pictures.
So instead of a graphic novel, they're like a textual comic? Ok.

norolim

Arcane
I honestly have no idea why TW series get as much flak and butthurt here at the Codex, they're a pretty well done ARPGs both - not at all flawless, but well-written and atmospheric in the very least.
They are modern aRPGs. If you don't bash them, you are not a true Codexer.

It's been going on for so long and he's been so vocal about it, that I suspect it's personal.

Malpercio

Arcane
The part about politics and shit is usually pretty well written with interesting choices, on other hand everything regarding Geralt sex-life plays like those Japanese VN, it's like some sort of 16 years old self-fulfilling fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom