Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Most of your explanation consists of mambo jumbo made up pseudo science bullshit In reality all it boils down to the above statement,basically Geralt is super leet so he decides to fight like an dumbass because he can.
Baiting exists in actual martial arts,usually it's a pretty subtle motion.The entire explanation becomes pointless when you consider this:
But imagine how much faster he would've been if he didn't use it at all.

I described how books talked about his swordfighting and why he fought like that. Baiting don't have anything to do with speed. Speed is important after you baited enemy to make wrong move.

That's a good point,why the fuck did you write an entire paragraph explaining that shit?

Read above. This is how books described his fighting style.

You are going for extremes here,a game doesn't need to be completely realistic or completely retarded.For TW specifically,Geralt doesn't have to do all his retarded moves but use more simple stuff with his incredible speed, then the result would be this:
Geralt has a sword and starts a fight. Geralt parries spear closes the distance kills dude.
Geralt has a sword and starts a fight.Parries incoming blows and strikes in the gaps in the dudes armor,kills dude.

Parrying spear is only in movies where some dumb character don't use spear properly. If you take spear (or even long stick) yourself you will see how fucking fast you can retract spear and make another thrust even if someone parry it.

There is a reason but it's not the reason you are trying to imply .Spears were battlefield weapons used in formation while rapiers were dueling weapons that were rarely carried in wars,the last swords that saw action in war were probably sabres.

Spears were battlefield weapons because they were unpractical to go to bar with it or to shop, not because you could fight in formation.
Experienced spear wielder vs experienced swordsman would 95% end up being death of swordsman in 1on1 simply because reach and speed of weapon. If you don't believe me look for Youtube and people who old research that stuff.

Spear has amazing ability to retract itself in split second and what is most important is has very narrow point of thrust making it difficult to even see thrust standing front to spearwielder.
So bullshit like "closing distance" never was true about fighing with spear wielders.

What you were talking about were pikemen. Units specially created to combat cavalry with spears being insanely long. And those spears were called pikes (thus pikemen) because they were as i mentioned very very long spears not fit for infantry combat.

As of rapiers. Point was that rapiers were swords who completely removed slashing ability for thrusting because thrusting is much faster and super deadly opposed to slashing. And no rapiers were used on battlefield same as swords earlier. As sideweapon but mostly for ground units as rapiers were completely useless for cavalery which used as sidearm Sabre mentioned by you along with military picks and blunt weapons.

This is wrong but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt,which sword?

Which sword what ? All longswords were mostly created with straight looong blade to give attacker reach needed to stab people. Slashing people with heavy sword such as longsword especially against someone who have shield and shorter lighter sword was death wish. Ton of moves with Longswords included actual grappling and moving your hand to blade giving you more leverage and using its reach to stab people with its pointy end.
That is completely beside fact that if you have looong blade it can easily break when you try to slash someone.

There are slashing swords like gladius or viking type sword but all of those have short blade fit for combat with shield.

Just look here how people who know their stuff (as they actively research old fighting tech) use longswords:

They always start fight and fight mostly with stabing. Because that is purpose of longsword and its reach.

Also good video about swords vs spears

and swords and thrusting

History is much more interesting than film flicks

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Like I a give a crap about real life sword fighting. I'm playing a video game about monsters and witches. Just lol.

Alfons

Prophet
I described how books talked about his swordfighting and why he fought like that. Baiting don't have anything to do with speed. Speed is important after you baited enemy to make wrong move.
How fuckin stupid are you?That part of the reply wasn't addressing that shit at all,it was refuting your explanation of the validity of the witcher style.Baiting has nothing to do with speed because real baiting motions are usually short and quick therefor they are inherently fast.If your bait is a fuckin ballerina spin then speed is fuckin important.

Parrying spear is only in movies where some dumb character don't use spear properly. If you take spear (or even long stick) yourself you will see how fucking fast you can retract spear and make another thrust even if someone parry it.
Again,how stupid are you? Spear wielders have a big advantage over sword wielder but I was giving an example where the sword wielder is fuckin superhuman.

Spears were battlefield weapons because they were unpractical to go to bar with it or to shop, not because you could fight in formation.
If you have no formation then the thrusts of a spear are not as good since they don't cover a lot of area,if you have no formations a greatsword or a poleaxe would be more advantageous.

So bullshit like "closing distance" never was true about fighing with spear wielders.
Unless of course you are force into such a situation and can't run,then it's your only valid option.

What you were talking about were pikemen
You have the entire internet at your disposal,maybe you should do a few youtube and google searches before writing stupid shit.People used spear in formations,search that shit and come back.

As of rapiers. Point was that rapiers were swords who completely removed slashing ability for thrusting because thrusting is much faster and super deadly opposed to slashing. And no rapiers were used on battlefield same as swords earlier. As sideweapon but mostly for ground units as rapiers were completely useless for cavalery which used as sidearm Sabre mentioned by you along with military picks and blunt weapons.
Only rapiers could slash and some manuals demonstrated slashing techniques with rapiers.I heard rapiers didn't see widespread use if you have a source that says otherwise then post it.

Which sword what ? All longswords were mostly created with straight looong blade to give attacker reach needed to stab people. Slashing people with heavy sword such as longsword especially against someone who have shield and shorter lighter sword was death wish. Ton of moves with Longswords included actual grappling and moving your hand to blade giving you more leverage and using its reach to stab people with its pointy end.
That is completely beside fact that if you have looong blade it can easily break when you try to slash someone.
With this I now know with complete certainty you have no fuckin idea what you are talking about.
1. Earlier longswords were optimized for cutting,they had broad relatively flexible blades with rounder points a design that was quite poor at thrusting.As armor advanced they became more triangular and stiff so they could thrust better,but they were a cut and thrust blade all the time,designed to do both.
2.HEAVY SWORD? Actually read some shit to see how fuckin heavy they are.
3."moving your hand to blade giving you more leverage and using its reach to stab people with its pointy end"-Moving hand to blade?You mean fuckin halfsword?You realize that by doing so the sword's reach becomes shorter than a fuckin dagger?
4.Easily break,where the fuck are you getting this shit from?It can break depending on what you hit but wtf is easily.If you hit a bone with your thrust you can potentially snap off the point,so what?

There are slashing swords like gladius or viking type sword but all of those have short blade fit for combat with shield.
I heard it on a shitty history channel show but I trust it more than you and they said that the gladius was use primarily for thrusting.Not tio mention that it's a short stiff pointy blade which is very good at thrusting.
Physics says that longer weapons are better at slashing since they have more momentum at the end.

Just look here how people who know their stuff (as they actively research old fighting tech) use longswords:
I looked and I saw much more slashes than thrusts and they always initiate with a slash which is usually parried.They are using something called winding strikes,look it up.You might not know the latter but use your fuckin brain, a good indication that it's a slash and not a fuckin thrust is that the point is beyond the body of the guy.

HOLY FUCK! Did you just search Eastons videos or are you subbed?And if you are subbed how can you say the stupid shit that you say? A lot of my info comes from that guy.Go watch some more of his vids and then write your stupid shit.

Have a nice day.

buzz

Arcane
WARNING: REALISTIC/BOOK-INSPIRED WITCHER SWORD COMBAT SPOILER DOWN BELOW
WATCH AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION

Perkel

Arcane
If you have no formation then the thrusts of a spear are not as good since they don't cover a lot of area,if you have no formations a greatsword or a poleaxe would be more advantageous.

HOLY FUCK! Did you just search Eastons videos or are you subbed?And if you are subbed how can you say the stupid shit that you say? A lot of my info comes from that guy.Go watch some more of his vids and then write your stupid shit.

Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to have what you are on.
I pointed you specifically video with him pointing that fucking spear is better weapon in 1vs1 than sword but you have autism and can't deal with that.

Yeah have a nice day and good life with your autism.

Alfons

Prophet
I'd like to have what you are on.
I pointed you specifically video with him pointing that fucking spear is better weapon in 1vs1 than sword but you have autism and can't deal with that.

I'm not even arguing with that you fuckin retard!As a side note,it's fuckin brilliant that this is the only problem you found with my post all the other stuff I said you don't have a problem with?

XD

norolim

Arcane
I would like to see at least open-world games get rid of the way you get 'locked' in a cutscene when you enter a conversation. Especially after playing Dark Souls where engaging in dialogue happens as seamlessly as any other part of gameplay (of course, that game's conversations involve only 'yes/no' responses, but it could still work with more elaborate dialogue options).

CDPR are prototyping a system like that for Cyberpunk 2077.

I assume the guy was playing on easy or something, cause you shouldn't be able to dispatch werewolves or semi-bosses like that tree spirit in 2-3 hits.

The difficulty was set to easy for the purpose of the presentation. Admitted by CDPR on the official forum.

kris

Arcane

Often been claimed and I can see the validity in it. Spear/staff works well against a sword.

But I would like to see how a Sword/shield combo would do against a Spear/shield combo. I feel that would change the odds quite a bit.

all you stabbing cunts spear loving faggits would bow down before GRORIOUS NIPPON STEEL OVER 9THOUSAND TIMES FOLDED.

Katana.png

SLASHING SWORD

wheres your stabbing god now?

Perkel

Arcane
Glorious katanas, their awesomnes is as great as their fans virginity and neckbeards.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Glorious katanas, their awesomnes is as great as their fans virginity and neckbeards.
even dual-wielding daggers is better than using spears, I mean the thingies like in Dragon Age 2:
200px-Spider%27s_heart.jpg

do those daggers look like they can be defeated by a spear? hardly think so.

ps: spear users have no honour

Borelli

Arcane
Aspergers and autists in every thread. Sigh...
Well i don't know why i came here tonight
i got the feeling that something ain't right
i'm so scared in case i fall off my chair
and i'm wondering how i'll get down the stairs

aspies to the left of me
trannies to the right, here i am
stuck in the middle of 'Dex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom