Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tytus

Arcane
LOL at Bioware making better gameplay.

You uncultured french swine, don't you know?

The boring and repetetive combat filler of Dragon Age Origins is the pinnacle of RPG!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There's nothing worse than situations where you are told to hurry but in reality there's no time limit of any kind.
I agree, but it kind of sounds like they don't want to tell you to hurry in the first place. They didn't really do that in the first two games either, save for maybe the second chapter in TW2. Instead you were usually investigating something, getting to know people and doing your witcher work on the side, not really fighting against time.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The boring and repetetive combat filler of Dragon Age Origins is the pinnacle of RPG!
i'd laugh, but half the codex actually thinks so, and that shit made it into the top 50 ahead of way more deserving titles.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
DA and ME do in fact have better gameplay than Witchers 1 and 2. CDP is really bad.

:prosper:

ME2 has better gameplay than Witcher 1 ? You're out of your fucking mind if you believe this.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
ME2&3 have better gameplay then W2 though.

DA would have better gameplay then ME2 if not for encounters.

W2 is a broken shell of a game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Witcher 1 & Witcher 2 both have garbage gameplay. A mindboggling number of Codexers give Witcher 1 a free pass because it's isometric, or because it has superficial complexity, or something. I really can't understand it.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I can understand people hating TW1's combat, but the rest of the gameplay is fine. Not the best thing ever, but far better than that piece of shit ME2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But you're normally so good at understanding what other people really mean. :M

I did offer two theories.

It's no secret that "C&C + complexity" is a winning combination on the Codex, and was even moreso back in 2007. Add a few choice words of praise from Vault Dweller, years of hype, and a built-in Polish fanbase, and you have yourself a game that gets marked down in history with a bit more praise than it deserved.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Add a few choice words of praise from Vault Dweller,
As I recall, he never got past chapter 2 because of the sheer amount of walking/backtracking/loadscreens and drowners. He wasn't really impressed with the C&C either (e.g. there's only way into the city and it involves getting arrested).

(putting a red ribbon on helps but you still have to deal with the bullshit of not being able to enter certain caves and such until all hostiles are gone and there's always at least one jerk who's semi-hostile and you can't kill him because he'll just run away but still remain hostile so you have to take the ribbon off first then put it back on).

WhiteGuts

Arcane

It's no secret that "C&C + complexity" is a winning combination on the Codex, and was even moreso back in 2007. Add a few choice words of praise from Vault Dweller, years of hype, and a built-in Polish fanbase, and you have yourself a game that gets marked down in history with a bit more praise than it deserved.

You could also add : refreshing fantasy setting and non-retarded plot and writing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Add a few choice words of praise from Vault Dweller,
As I recall, he never got past chapter 2 because of the sheer amount of walking/backtracking/loadscreens and drowners.

(putting a red ribbon on helps but you still have to deal with the bullshit of not being able to enter certain caves and such until all hostiles are gone and there's always at least one jerk who's semi-hostile and you can't kill him because he'll just run away but still remain hostile so you have to take the ribbon off first then put it back on).

Fucking hated those ribbons.

I'm pretty VD eventually finished it though, since I recall him saying he was replaying the game some time ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm pretty VD eventually finished it though, since I recall him saying he was replaying the game some time ago.
Doesn't mean he completed it. :P
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...wards-vault-dweller.49248/page-2#post-1317355
Didn't like the Witcher. Tried playing it 3 times, but couldn't finish it. I did like the books a lot, but the game is a poorly designed mess.

Oops, I misremembered:

I'd like to replay the Witcher because it was a decent game

:o

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Eventually I managed to finish it. Overall, after playing, abandoning, and returning to it (usually when I abandon a game, I don't play it again), I realized that there is magic in it. It does some things wrong (and these things really rub me the wrong way) but it does a lot of things right and Witcher 2 did a great job highlighting those things.

Copper

Savant

I won't deny it's a flawed, uneven experience, but it blows mediocre crap like NWN2 out of the water in pretty much every respect unless you have a massive thing for choosing race and class, so that might have something to do with it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Heart, soul, and if it sang the blues, you'd want to listen.
Not sure about the blues, but it had great visuals, decent character system, great journal and alchemy, good dialogues and setting, and a well done 'adventure'. I'd say it was a weak RPG but a pretty damn good action-adventure game.

Alfons

Prophet
I don't understand why the witcher 2 gets so much flak for its combat,it might be as generic as it fuckin comes for an action rpg but it's alright.
As for how it compares to ME2 and ME3,it's exactly the same shit. TW2 has generic as fuck 3rd person hack and slash combat with a slight twist and ME2 and ME3 are generic third person shooters with a slight twist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't understand why the witcher 2 gets so much flak for its combat,it might be as generic as it fuckin comes for an action rpg but it's alright.
As for how it compares to ME2 and ME3,it's exactly the same shit. TW2 has generic as fuck 3rd person hack and slash combat with a slight twist and ME2 and ME3 are generic third person shooters with a slight twist.

I agree with you, but arguably poorly designed shooting is always better than poorly designed melee, because it suffers less from issues of poor animation, and is generally less vulnerable to poor AI, crappy stunlocking and blocking mechanics, and other issues that arise from having to close in and physically engage with another character.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
Combat was great in ME2 and ME3. Not the level of GoW, but still fucking great. Big step forward in comparison to ME1, can't believe there are people who don't recognize this.

Combat in Witcher is fucking mess. The first one is basically a stupid QTE shit and the second is broken, because I refuse to believe that anyone would design that stupid roll spamming intentionally. So, yeah ME2/ME3 wins, at least it's not fundamentally broken...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I won't deny it's a flawed, uneven experience, but it blows mediocre crap like NWN2 out of the water in pretty much every respect unless you have a massive thing for choosing race and class, so that might have something to do with it.
Mediocre would be a huge step up for NWN2.

Might as well compare it to Lionheart next so it can look good relative to something else.

Open world in W3 is not „open” in the same way as in Skyrim or GTA
>There are few, very big hubs connected with each other
>It is not entirely clear how the transition between the hubs will look like, devs are still trying new things. Fast travel is an option but only to places you discoverd before
>All of the regions will not be available from the beginning, you will have to unlock them through story progression
>The size of Novigrad an its surroundings: 8.5 x 8.5 km = 72.5 km squared
>The size of Skellige archipelago: 8 x 8 km = 64 km squared
>There will be more regions than just those two
>Skyrim’s world was 41 km squared
>W3 will start in a small tutorial hub
>Novigrad and No Man’s Land is considered as a one hub
>Borders of each region will be mainly natural (great rivers, sea, or impassable mountains)
>You will be able to find many interesting things on the bottom of a lake, like fragments of witcher armors
>Geralt won’t be able to swim everywhere, for example lakes in Skellige are to cold even for him
>Geralt can fell off the boat if the weather conditions are to harsh (storm)
>the „recommended potions” section will show up only when Geralt is using his witcher senses to track a creature he already encountered before
>Other witchers can acompany Geralt but he has to persuade them first
>You can go back to previous hubs any time you want
>In very cold regions (like Skellige) the blizzard will obstruct your movement, you will have to find shelter in order to survive

Open world in W3 is not „open” in the same way as in Skyrim or GTA
>There are few, very big hubs connected with each other

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
open world my ass

http://www.witchersite.pl/component...osc-i-budowa-swiata-oraz-efekty-wizualne.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom