Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Wasteland 2
Roguey used to be entertaining, but she's become such a boring troll.
Not just boring, but almost volourn's level of boring, predictable and repetitive.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Judging by the screenshots they backpedaled with the Disney shit a bit and it's going to look more like medieval Europe again, which is good.

hiver

Hope there will be some smarter harder modes, where you will be forced to use traps and bombs, not to mention alchemy - especially in case of various monsters.
It only feels completely right when you have to play it more like that. When you have to use the full arsenal for tougher encounters. A bit more serious about supernatural elements - being really super - natural. Tough. And requiring some thinking and maybe a bit of tactics.

if only they would return toxicity from W1 for the potions, it would be great.

And change meditation into an actually interesting strategy mechanic where only during meditation (plus taking specific reagents or alchemical potions), you can manipulate mutant abilities of the body a bit - so you like - prepare for the coming up fight or monster hunt in various specific ways - by literally mutating. And Geralt is a Mutant - literally.
(basically going for few relatively smaller changes of some stats and abilities - more dexterity for lower con, increased - decreased resistances, changing eyes to see better in the dark, harder hits, ... plus other choices between some other appropriate abilities or perks)
- so basically it would usually last some time as a mutation, while you couldn't change it on the fly, until you could meditate somewhere again.

Unwanted

Captain Crusade

Andhaira
Andhaira
ure. So player choices still play an important role in The Witcher universe?
All the time, and I think this differentiates us from other games out there. We don't tell you what matters and what doesn't, as your actions in the game speak far louder than words. I mean, there are 36 different endings in Wild Hunt.

What? For real?

Yes. We have an internal debate if it's 36 or more, but I can tell you that there are many, MANY different endings. You will definitely want to play this game more than once.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind

Another gem from this interview:
Fair enough. Speaking of action, could you maybe touch upon the game’s new combat system?

It's really tough to describe the combat system, as it is something you have to play and experience for yourself to fully understand. We're definitely looking at a more fluid combat system with Wild Hunt, where attacking an enemy feels more natural and smooth, unlike older games where you had to lock onto enemies constantly.

What we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum is a very cool system, and I don't want to draw any comparisons, but that's definitely part of the motivation for us. I can make gamers a promise that combat in The Witcher 3 is already fun and that we're constantly balancing it till we hit that sweet spot.

I am not sure if the Arkham games combat system will fit the Witcher. It is a fun system, but it stretched even the creduality of playing as Batman or Catwoman. It would suit someone like The Flash, but not an ordinary mortal. True, Geralt is basically a super soldier, but I would prefer a system of blocks and parries, where you see swords parrying and countering each other.

What was the Codex official opinion on Witcher 2 by the way, as compared to Witcher 1?

kazgar

Arcane
All the time, and I think this differentiates us from other games out there. We don't tell you what matters and what doesn't, as your actions in the game speak far louder than words. I mean, there are 36 different endings in Wild Hunt.

What? For real?

Yes. We have an internal debate if it's 36 or more, but I can tell you that there are many, MANY different endings. You will definitely want to play this game more than once.

Color-palette2.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

What? For real?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind

Another gem from this interview:
Fair enough. Speaking of action, could you maybe touch upon the game’s new combat system?

It's really tough to describe the combat system, as it is something you have to play and experience for yourself to fully understand. We're definitely looking at a more fluid combat system with Wild Hunt, where attacking an enemy feels more natural and smooth, unlike older games where you had to lock onto enemies constantly.

What we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum is a very cool system, and I don't want to draw any comparisons, but that's definitely part of the motivation for us. I can make gamers a promise that combat in The Witcher 3 is already fun and that we're constantly balancing it till we hit that sweet spot.

I am not sure if the Arkham games combat system will fit the Witcher. It is a fun system, but it stretched even the creduality of playing as Batman or Catwoman. It would suit someone like The Flash, but not an ordinary mortal. True, Geralt is basically a super soldier, but I would prefer a system of blocks and parries, where you see swords parrying and countering each other.

What was the Codex official opinion on Witcher 2 by the way, as compared to Witcher 1?

So what? Mass Effect 3 had, like, 20-30 endings, what's a couple more.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I am not sure if the Arkham games combat system will fit the Witcher. It is a fun system, but it stretched even the creduality of playing as Batman or Catwoman.

Pretty much, but it actually just sucks. It's meant for players like to mash buttons mindlessly to see something awesome happen on the screen. There's just enough interactivity for the average retard to feel like a killing machine after having wrecked a whole gang of thugs, without realising that the game handled the fight for him.

And it definitively doesn't fit the Witcher, because parts of it's ghost of a challenge comes from the fact that you're mostly fighting with your fist, dealing non lethal bat-blows, which means the enemies get up 5 times and take dozens of hits before you finally knock them for good. Meanwhile The Witcher fights with a razor sharp sword and is supposed to aim for the vitals.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pretty old news. Moreover, they said there is more than 300 small variations in those.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/41...-three-different-playable-epilogues-driven-by

"There will be 36 different endings," said Adam Badowski, managing director of CD Projekt Red.

"Thirty-six world states," corrected Michal Platkow-Gilewski, the company's head of marketing.

It's a subtle difference, but the two explained that the PS4 and PC game so thoroughly tracks player choice that the end result are a lot of changes, from the tiny to the major. When I asked the two how many smaller changes the game endings might see, Platkow-Gilewski said the team stopped tracking those when they got to 300.

The safest description, they decided, was to broadly tell players that The Witcher 3 will deliver three entirely different, playable epilogues. And those three different playable endings can only be achieved by playing through the game and making different choices, they said.

"The game is quite complex," Badowski said. "We didn't mean to develop something special for the endings, it's a natural consequence of the story line. The story has hundreds of different branches and sub plots. We have to just sum all of those elements up in the epilogues. Some of those elements are taken from the very beginning and some from other moments of the storyline. All of them will connect in the epilogue.

"We have a lot of things to summarize. We didn't spend time on inventing endings, it was just the consequence of those choices."

Sounds like they got some hints from New Vegas (or classic Fallout titles). Will see...

kazgar

Arcane
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Color-palette2.jpg

You're too generous.

300px-Color_icon_purple.svg.png

This would be more accurate.

Or considering how some people who I won't name claim the colours on the screenshots so far are all brown

brown-paint-samples.jpg

On my first playthrough I'm going to aim for a rich clay brown.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The safest description, they decided, was to broadly tell players that The Witcher 3 will deliver three entirely different, playable epilogues. And those three different playable endings can only be achieved by playing through the game and making different choices, they said.

Yay!
Based on all the ''choices'' you've made in this game you'll get to experience one of the three different 5 min long epilogues, which mostly consist of a cinematic and hopefully some elements of interactions (like walking, choosing between inconsequential dialogue options, or even a short fight!) .

That way if you feel like you've missed something from not going through the 2 other epilogues, you can just watch the alternative endings on youtube!

eremita

Savant
I don't give shit about number of endings (unless there is only one of course). Quality matters, not quantity. This whole nonlinearity jerking is fucking stupid anyway, especially in case of storyfag games. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone who got excited about this 36 endings thing is a faggot. EVERYONE! Shame on you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom