Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Because in Dark Souls you're going up against monsters so big the best and only solution is to roll out of the way.
If you're fighting against a group of knights or whatever as you would in tw2, you wouldn't roll, you would maneauver thus also staying in a position to properly be able to wield your blade still.

And also the stamina cost indeed. Besides that in dark souls your carried equipment also effects your roll speed.

Kanedias

Savant
In Dark Souls the roll is better because you need to time it correctly, and it consumes stamina, which you have to manage. I love The Witcher 2, but the roll is completely overpowered, like a temporal immunity, and it leads you to spam it all the time, which makes combat look silly.

Gerrard

Arcane
There is no immunity, if you get hit while rolling you get knocked down.
Neither the witcher 2 nor dark souls are in any way niche.
The fact that you thought I meant The Witcher just shows how retarded you are.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no immunity, if you get hit while rolling you get knocked down.
Neither the witcher 2 nor dark souls are in any way niche.
The fact that you thought I meant The Witcher just shows how retarded you are.

Are you implying Dark Souls is a fucking niche game? If so, there's no retard here but you.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Why is the Witcher's roll worst than Dark Souls roll?

I don't know if this answers you question:
Dark Souls is made by Japanese. These guys have dozens of years of experience in making proper character actions, from the reaction time of controls to tiny details such as invincible frames. Witcher 2 on the other hand...well at least they've tried.

It's not armour against swords, it's supposed to protect you from silver fearing monsters. As such, it's not ridiculous at all.
Mkay. Let's say studs are supposed to discourage a very particular kind of monster that likes to grapple (because studs are dead weight against anything else).

nSXWCEh.jpg

Apart from a few studs on the neck, what exactly are the rest protecting? Most likely grapple points? Vital organs? Maybe, major arteries and tendons? Well, at least Geralt would be safe if he met a monster that goes around fondling people's biceps.

How would that even come into it? He's not putting them on for their armour value - it's to discourage monsters from approaching/hunting him. Nothing to do with 'protecting locations' - he isn't trying to use it to block the monster, he's discouraging it from attacking on the basis that it smells silver, it REALLY doesn't like silver, and so it will wait for a less threatening target.

Same reason why hunter-gatherer communities light a fire at night-time, so they don't get eaten in their sleep by a tiger. It isn't a wall of flame - they're not trying to physically 'block' the tiger with the fire. It's that almost all animals are scared of fire, and they're likely to keep their distance.

Most monsters in the setting aren't intelligent (the interesting ones are, but they aren't the norm); they're basically animals in that sense. And while tigers are pretty damn clever (smarter than most of the monsters in the setting), your average tiger still can't into weapon-play. Which is a good thing. My cat's enough of an asshole as it is, I don't want the bastard learning how to drive my car as well.

Deleted member 7219

Hey, if it means they don't have to release an Enhanced Edition to fix the game then I'm all for a delay.

Bioware must be sighing with relief, though. It means the new Dragon Age game might actually sell.

buzz

Arcane
Or maybe they want more people to buy next-gen consoles for Christmas before they release it.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
How would that even come into it? He's not putting them on for their armour value - it's to discourage monsters from approaching/hunting him. Nothing to do with 'protecting locations' - he isn't trying to use it to block the monster, he's discouraging it from attacking on the basis that it smells silver, it REALLY doesn't like silver, and so it will wait for a less threatening target.

Same reason why hunter-gatherer communities light a fire at night-time, so they don't get eaten in their sleep by a tiger. It isn't a wall of flame - they're not trying to physically 'block' the tiger with the fire. It's that almost all animals are scared of fire, and they're likely to keep their distance.

Most monsters in the setting aren't intelligent (the interesting ones are, but they aren't the norm); they're basically animals in that sense. And while tigers are pretty damn clever (smarter than most of the monsters in the setting), your average tiger still can't into weapon-play. Which is a good thing. My cat's enough of an asshole as it is, I don't want the bastard learning how to drive my car as well.

Bizarre trying to rationalise 'why a bunch of blokes playing DnD in their mums' cellars aren't really historians'. Brief potted history of 'studded armour' in teh real world - the stud held together the front and the back, in between were multiple layers of padding and compressed cloth. And that's it. The studs weren't protection (some posh buggers even had them made out of gold, because bling), they just held it together. It's just something which got stuck in the fantasy genre from a basic misunderstanding looking at old pics of armour types and reading that it was used during tourneys when people hit each other without understanding that it's padding which is needed when you're being hit with ittle more than thin, blunt iron bars. I blame DnD, as I said. Trying to rationalise fantasy tropes is pointless. For a start, there'd be fewer titties to watch jiggle if they did start designing armour which made some sense. And no-one would know who the chief evildoing human was if he didn't wear obnoxiously spikey armour.

In any case, going to be interesting to see what does come out of Poland next year. Hoping for all kinds of awesome, kind of worried they've managed to screw the pooch quite horribly by chasing Bethesda's tail.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/113384-cd-projekt-red-working-on-mobile-game-witcher-3-progress-report.html

I'm purposefully ignoring the mobile game part.

There's also some interesting info on the development progress on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and some additional reasons for the title's delay:

- Dialogue lines are closed & implemented
- They are currently recording voice overs for each language version of the game
- The world of the game is completed - locations are finished, all important gameplay mechanics are already implemented
- Graphic assets and animations are nearing completion
- The game can already be played in full
- REDengine 3 supports all 3 platforms
- The physical elements of the collector's edition are in production

The reasoning behind 2015 release:

- Less competition
- Improved effectiveness of marketing campaign targeted at aware gamers and not random gift-buyers.
- Better polished game: the last 20% of time stands for 80% of the game's attractiveness.
- More new-gen consoles on the market = more customers

This seems like they want to release the Enhanced Edition on launch, not 6 months after. Hopefully that is actually the case.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah, so they're actually delaying the game more than it needs to be delayed for marketing purposes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think it's smart, especially for the polishing and more consoles reasons. Right after Christmas there should be millions more new consoles in peoples' homes.

It's kind of a bummer but it gives me time to build a new PC so whatever.

Thoric

Novice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCSGOWdFms

Nice presentation about CDP's history and a candid look at developer-publisher relations. From negotiating with Atari for half a year to not own them forever, through the costly RotWW cancellation, the expensive court battle with Namco Bandai, the all-nighters pulled drafting a deal with WB and finishing at present day when headlining Game Informer and stealing the show at E3 has made everything a bit smoother. Wish the Q&A wasn't cut short.

Paul_cz

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCSGOWdFms

Nice presentation about CDP's history and a candid look at developer-publisher relations. From negotiating with Atari for half a year to not own them forever, through the costly RotWW cancellation, the expensive court battle with Namco Bandai, the all-nighters pulled drafting a deal with WB and finishing at present day when headlining Game Informer and stealing the show at E3 has made everything a bit smoother. Wish the Q&A wasn't cut short.

Yeah this was really great inside look. All those lawyer-filled meetings must have been fun. As in, not. Funny how they got fucked by both Namco and THQ and in the end won over both.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
At least Iwański's pronunciation got a bit better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom