Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like place where i live. They did awesome job recreating polish rivers.
iKGbJuCLojhr4.jpg

iQzIOJUu1FwEy.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Could somebody briefly summarize, what makes The Bitcher series so great? Let along the next new third installment?

I haven't played any of 'em yet.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Could somebody briefly summarize, what makes The Bitcher series so great? Let along the next new third installment?

Looks great, has great music and atmosphere. Good writing and story. Some nice C&C. Character system and combat is actiony though, keep that in mind.

Deleted member 7219

This game is going to be terrific and I will so, so enjoy the amount of Codex butthurt.

Sykar

Arcane

Mostly story and atmosphere is good overall. At times morally ambiguous, which is a plus for me. Gameplay is ok but nothing special. Good to great graphics for their time respectively.

Darkzone

Arcane

Looks great, has great music and atmosphere. Good writing and story. Some nice C&C. Character system and combat is actiony though, keep that in mind.
No the most important things are the females, sex cards and sex scenes, forget the mature fantasy world.

Here Conan knows what is the best in life and games:

Paul_cz

Arcane

If CDP does not fuck up, they might pull another New Vegas - open world that is fun to explore married with good story and dialogues.
Except unlike NV, it also does not look like utter diarrheaic shit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The setting, story, and atmosphere. A very refreshing (especially when W1 came out) "realistic" and "gritty" fantasy world that avoids the silliness of grimdark.

Perkel

Arcane
ok figgured out better youtube downloader. Still i can't download 1080p videos. just 720p ones.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ok so, The Bitcher series is obviously a KODEX fan favourite, suprising, givin that it's pretty popamole 3rd person RPG with some C&C sprinkled in..

So which one is the best one, 1 or 2?

and is 3 gon be the best 1?

Can I make sense of the "story" if I play number 3 first?

pippin

Ok so, The Bitcher series is obviously a KODEX fan favourite, suprising, givin that it's pretty popamole 3rd person RPG with some C&C sprinkled in..

1 is definitively more pc-oriented and although combat sucks alchemy is fun. Also every rpg fan should play the Vizima Confidential quest at least once. It took me like 40 or 50 hours to complete it, I believe, although I skipped lots of side quests (like the moster killing, which sometimes requires you to research said monsters to harvest their body parts).
Haven't really played 2 because of my potato computer, but the combat seems to be more "console friendly".
If you're familiar with the novels, following the story shouldn't be that hard.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Uhm. The Witcher 1 has a better quest design, The Witcher 2 has a better C&C system.
The first one is much more stats based. A lot of people complained about the combat because it is basically based on "timing" and "combos". The real focus is not in the "combat execution", but in "combat preparation". The Witcher 1 featured one of the best alchemy (crafting) system. Basically, each monster has its strenghts and weaknesses. So, you have to study the monsters, and choose what potion, oil and sword fits better to fighting the monster you have encountered.
The Witcher 2 is more action. It is functional, but it has some flaws about hitbox, lacking of animations, and some unbalanced skills.

but the combat seems to be more "console friendly".

It is certainly meant to be played on both platforms, but it is playable with m/k without any problems.

Prime Junta

I liked both 1 and 2 enough to preorder W3. W1 is rougher around the edges, e.g things get thoroughly confused if you stumble across stuff in the wrong order, and it has some incredibly stupid moments like being dumped into a boss fight straight from a long-ass cutscene and conversation with no possibility to save. On the other hand it has some seriously awesome quests and overall better/more story. Also cooler alchemy than W2.

W2 looks better, has fewer mind-bendingly stupid moments, and should be played through at least twice because the bulk of the game has two entirely different plotlines depending on which side you pick, and you only really find out what's going on after seeing it from both sides. On the other hand it has a stupid inverse difficulty curve where things start out hard and then get really easy, the worst boss fights based on QTE's(!), and a weak ending.

I would imagine that W3 is going to be confusing if you haven't played the first two. Unless they somehow manage an epic infodump in the beginning. W2 certainly would be if you haven't played W1. You start out naked in bed with a redhead and then go fight in a war where the king clearly thinks you're the bee's knees, and if you have no idea who the redhead or king are or what is this Nilfgaardian ambassador all about, it is all a bit LOLwut.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

They're different, first Witcher has a sort of rhytmic combat system (you choose weapon styles depending on what you're facing and click the mouse button in the appropriate moment so Geralt can chain combos) while Witcher 2 is your average modern action RPG with rolling. Neither system works that well and as a consequence combat definitely isn't one of the series strengths but I also didn't find either to be offensively bad so take that for what it's worth.

The first one is more about Geralt's personal quest and his profession (monster slayer) while in the sequel he's right in the thick of court drama, big scale wars and conflicts (there's some of that in the first one as well but to a far lesser degree). You can choose to remain neutral in the first one (which feels more suited to a witcher) while you have to choose a side in the sequel.

The first one has a much better alchemy system, itemization (it's limited but that's a plus in this case) and somewhat better quests on the whole but is much less polished in terms of voice acting, writing and dialogue.

The first one has more of a slavic, folkish charm/feel while the sequel is more "Americanized" but I feel people exaggerate the degree to which that is the case, it still looks visually distinct to me compared to similar themed games on the market and I really liked the attention to detail for some of the major characters (in terms of looks and attire).

The first one also felt quite longer to me but I don't have the exact numbers.

Forgot to add, the first Witcher has beautiful art/paintings to illustrate the consequences of some major choices you make in the game while the sequel has shitty flash comics instead (added by enhanced edition IIRC).

I think it will have the best combat gameplay in the series (Witcher 1 and 2 didn't really set the bar high in that regard), have no idea about other things. One thing I'm always afraid of when games try to go huge world, sandbox approach is that the hand-crafted feel gets lost nearly completely and it all boils down to endless repetition, recycled content and simple quests.

I'm always for quality over quantity so CD Projekt boasting about the game's size has an opposite effect on me.

Don't see why not, you probably won't get some references to previous games or the books but that's hardly a big deal.

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
New content is just flooding from every direction, might be time to take a step back from the hype train.

norolim

Arcane
Apparently, he played on easy.

Seem like you can toggle a lot of info on the minimap
Yes, it seems you can practically turn off every element of the HUD and all the markers on the map and in the world.

ok figgured out better youtube downloader. Still i can't download 1080p videos. just 720p ones.

4K Video Downloader. Not integrated with the browser, but it does the job well.

Ok so, The Bitcher series is obviously a KODEX fan favourite, suprising, givin that it's pretty popamole 3rd person RPG with some C&C sprinkled in.
No, Codex loves to bitch about the Bitcher. Even though most of them will play it 7 times.

Definitely 1 for me. I thought the second one was much worse. I didn't even finish it (though I plan to go back to it before W3 is released).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom